Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-03-2008, 03:15 AM   #1
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Chavez & his early DQ loss...

...isn't it time to restore this to the original result? It was obviously changed as a political move to retain Chavez his '0'. Indeed, it was down as a loss for a while until Suliman claimed it was changed the next day. As this is bullshit and Chavez ended up being beaten anyway, methinks the loss to Ruiz should be restored.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2008, 03:25 AM   #2
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: Chavez & his early DQ loss...

No argument here lol. It sounds like he did indeed hit him on the canvas. I'd like to see footage actually.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2008, 03:39 AM   #3
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
...isn't it time to restore this to the original result? It was obviously changed as a political move to retain Chavez his '0'. Indeed, it was down as a loss for a while until Suliman claimed it was changed the next day. As this is bullshit and Chavez ended up being beaten anyway, methinks the loss to Ruiz should be restored.
Suppose that would be ok. Would it be too much to ask for Pernell Whitaker, Frankie Randall and Miguel Angel Gonzalez to be given W's in their fights against Chavez as well?

I don't ask for much, Chavez can keep the Meldrick Taylor win
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2008, 04:05 AM   #4
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist
Suppose that would be ok. Would it be too much to ask for Pernell Whitaker, Frankie Randall and Miguel Angel Gonzalez to be given W's in their fights against Chavez as well?

I don't ask for much, Chavez can keep the Meldrick Taylor win

Good idea.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:42 AM   #5
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 469

TBooze is online now  Top
Old 02-03-2008, 03:59 PM   #6
4Rounder
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 285

nonsense

Chavez hit the guy when the bell rang and Knocked him out, the ref waved it a DQ loss. His team lobbied to have the decision reversed and it got done. Why are people crying over this when its so insignificant and way early in his career?
4Rounder is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2008, 05:12 PM   #7
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Rounder
nonsense

Chavez hit the guy when the bell rang and Knocked him out, the ref waved it a DQ loss. His team lobbied to have the decision reversed and it got done. Why are people crying over this when its so insignificant and way early in his career?
By the late 80s it was significant enough for DKP to resolve to remove the defeat and have Chavez's '0' put back in place; so the journey to 100-0 could be scripted and make Don some money as his main stay, when Tyson was put away.

An early dq defeat means very little normally, unless you are dealing with a perfect record, hence the reason I always bang on about Coley Wallace defeating Marciano after the Rock's debut.

Sure it does not take away anything from Marciano's achievements, but it does show Marciano did not retire and '0', same as Chavez was not 87 and 0 going into the Whitaker bout, but 86-1.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:03 PM   #8
Marciano Frazier
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Does the fight exist on tape? All legacy considerations aside, this should be decided by whether or not the call/overrule was legit, like any result appeal.
Marciano Frazier is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2008, 06:04 PM   #9
Marciano Frazier
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
By the late 80s it was significant enough for DKP to resolve to remove the defeat and have Chavez's '0' put back in place; so the journey to 100-0 could be scripted and make Don some money as his main stay, when Tyson was put away.

An early dq defeat means very little normally, unless you are dealing with a perfect record, hence the reason I always bang on about Coley Wallace defeating Marciano after the Rock's debut.

Sure it does not take away anything from Marciano's achievements, but it does show Marciano did not retire and '0', same as Chavez was not 87 and 0 going into the Whitaker bout, but 86-1.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #10
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano Frazier
Old 02-03-2008, 06:13 PM   #11
Marciano Frazier
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
Much as I like some of your other posting, you seem to be a brick wall when it comes to the "amateur-matches-are-transformed-into-professional-fights-and-go-on-professional-records-when-you-have-them-at-the-wrong-time-but-only-if-you're-undefeated-and-it-would-be-perceived-as-damaging-your-legacy" topic, so rather than repeat my points yet again when you turned the topic that way, I thought I'd just vent my frustration by clicking up a bunch of emoticons and posting them.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:03 PM   #12
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
nonsense

That's interesting, because all i looked up yesty said he hit him while on the canvas but deeper inspection shows a split between hitting on/after the bell and hitting him on the canvas. Weird.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2008, 06:47 AM   #13
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

Sounds a bit like, in spirit at least, when Tyson DQ win over Ferguson was switched to a TKO so King could keep that streak rolling too.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2008, 06:48 AM   #14
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
I don't really see what difference it would make now, other than admitting it was a work to begin with.
Don't see it happening.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #15
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
nonsense

Because it was done from a marketing standpoint and reeks of more King 'trickerations'. Being apparently insignificant, it shouldn't have happened in the first place. Did his team really 'lobby' or was it just done for him anyway? Maybe every DQ can be changed too, that's be great wouldn't it. No one's crying. In fact, it's only you that seems upset by it.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum