Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 01-04-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
The Kirwan Kid
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Boxing/mma fans

According to a few mates MMA is really popular with young blokes and far more talked about than boxing these days. I am curious as to how many on here are into it. A guy I know has been doing events in brissie and pulling 1000 to his shows. How does that compare to the crowds they get at Mansfield Tavern or down the Coast?

Personally i can watch it for a fight or 2 maybe but all the rolling around on the ground reminds me of kids fighting at primary school. I appreciate there's some skill there but it's pretty boring when it gets to that ... Bit like Olympic wrestling.
The Kirwan Kid is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
Francis75
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxing/mma fans

I prefer watching top level mma to boxing these days. I appreciate the skills at the elite level of both sports.
Francis75 is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
Sox
Hangin with the real deal
East Side Guru

vCash: 1044

I like both sports.
Sox is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
whipsy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I watched Martinez v Chavez Jr at a Pub in Dulwich hill, there were maybe 10 people there, including me and my mate about 4 for the fight, I went to the same pub on sunday for the UFC 155 and It was standing room only
whipsy is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
Sandman_
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Watching blokes rolling around on the ground grappling with each other just doesn't do it for me.

No doubt there's skill involved but those same skills are similar to what you see in traditional wrestling & I'm not interested in watching that either.

Boxing has a great history and tradition which at this point, MMA just can't match.

I'd also say that the quality of athletes who perform at the top level in boxing is superior to the quality of athletes who compete in MMA (imo).

As a general comment, MMA seems to appeal to those who are interested in mindless violence and not much else.
Sandman_ is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #6
perko
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Gotta agree with the Kid , young fells at the mines wont talk boxing in the cribrooms only MMA .
perko is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
Crusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman_ View Post
Watching blokes rolling around on the ground grappling with each other just doesn't do it for me.

No doubt there's skill involved but those same skills are similar to what you see in traditional wrestling & I'm not interested in watching that either.

Boxing has a great history and tradition which at this point, MMA just can't match.

I'd also say that the quality of athletes who perform at the top level in boxing is superior to the quality of athletes who compete in MMA (imo).

As a general comment, MMA seems to appeal to those who are interested in mindless violence and not much else.
Well said mate. I'm a purest too.
Crusher is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #8
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

**** off TS, go hang yourself !
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 10:53 PM   #9
fighta29
Contender
ESB Senior Member

MMA and boxing are completely different sports. Its like comparing NRL to Gridion. There is nothing "Pure" about either. If you were brought up on boxing and choose to stick to that, then great. Alot of young ppl have been brought on MMA, and they like it. Then you have the Martial arts guys who naturally like it because its and evolution of their chosen arts.

Theres nothing wrong with liking both either. I have competed in both, and enjoy both, to watch as well as train in.

The thing with MMA is the fights are generally well matched, there is no ducking fights, the promos are run proffesionally and the rules are strict and unwavering. The comment about "senseless violence" is completely uneducated. Are we all prone to violence because we like watching dudes with a leather ball smash the **** out of each other on a footy field? Or watch a boxer on his 3rd 8 count, even though he is clearly ****ed? Please

There is nothing better than boxing at its best with a well matched fight....

Watch top level MMA and you will be impressed.
fighta29 is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 11:51 PM   #10
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighta29 View Post
MMA and boxing are completely different sports. Its like comparing NRL to Gridion. There is nothing "Pure" about either. If you were brought up on boxing and choose to stick to that, then great. Alot of young ppl have been brought on MMA, and they like it. Then you have the Martial arts guys who naturally like it because its and evolution of their chosen arts.

Theres nothing wrong with liking both either. I have competed in both, and enjoy both, to watch as well as train in.

The thing with MMA is the fights are generally well matched, there is no ducking fights, the promos are run proffesionally and the rules are strict and unwavering. The comment about "senseless violence" is completely uneducated. Are we all prone to violence because we like watching dudes with a leather ball smash the **** out of each other on a footy field? Or watch a boxer on his 3rd 8 count, even though he is clearly ****ed? Please

There is nothing better than boxing at its best with a well matched fight....

Watch top level MMA and you will be impressed.
Agreeing it is different, how is MMA completely different? MMA is whatever you want it to be. You are more than welcome to train/compete mixing whatever martial arts you choose. If what martial arts you chose to mix suck? You lose.

Boxing is as much a part of MMA as any other codified martial art. The MMA rule set just gave a home to guys whose chosen martial arts topped out at hobby, amateur competition, or insane amounts of travel (Asia) to become viable lifestyles. My guess is if a pro BJJ league popped up many MMA participants would exit MMA post haste.

I fully agree though. Both sports are great when properly matched.
bald_head_slick is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #11
efc85
non entity
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2770

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesMantooth View Post
grappling is a boring spectator sport, ****ing deal with it. Why is it pro wrestling became fake? because when it was real it was ****ing boring. It is extra boring when not seen through the lens of a professional tv crew that knows just what to zoom in on. Try watching a grappling match from 80 feet back and see if you can figure out what the **** is going on, even if you know grappling.
Quote:
Try watching a grappling match from 80 feet back and see if you can figure out what the **** is going on, even if you know grappling.

This
efc85 is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #12
Ne5ville14
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesMantooth View Post
grappling is a boring spectator sport, ****ing deal with it. Why is it pro wrestling became fake? because when it was real it was ****ing boring. It is extra boring when not seen through the lens of a professional tv crew that knows just what to zoom in on. Try watching a grappling match from 80 feet back and see if you can figure out what the **** is going on, even if you know grappling.

Yeah because MMA is 100% grappling...

**** off !
Old 01-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #13
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne5ville14 View Post

Yeah because MMA is 100% grappling...

**** off !
Why do you think they stand guys up? Is that "as real as it gets" why do you think boxing use to have hip tosses and lots of clinch work under London Prize rules, but than changed. Why is it that if you go to a stud wrestling program and look at the stands you see the wrestlers parents and girlfriends and no one else? Because it is ****ing boring. Does MMA have striking? Yes of course, and 90 percent of it is ****, other than the guys who come from k1, and some other stand up guys. I respect the hell out of grappling...i have rolled with guys, and i know it is nasty business and when a guy has you in a arm bar, there is nothing gay about it...having said all that...its boring as **** to watch.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #14
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Wesmantooth made a good point i just have to say
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #15
Ne5ville14
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
Why do you think they stand guys up? Is that "as real as it gets" why do you think boxing use to have hip tosses and lots of clinch work under London Prize rules, but than changed. Why is it that if you go to a stud wrestling program and look at the stands you see the wrestlers parents and girlfriends and no one else? Because it is ****ing boring. Does MMA have striking? Yes of course, and 90 percent of it is ****, other than the guys who come from k1, and some other stand up guys. I respect the hell out of grappling...i have rolled with guys, and i know it is nasty business and when a guy has you in a arm bar, there is nothing gay about it...having said all that...its boring as **** to watch.
**** off Johnstown....

If you can't appreciate ground game stick to boxing

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum