Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-17-2013, 08:21 AM   #1
JacK Rauber
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 200
Default Ward is BORING

Ward has very good skills. No doubt. I find myself uninterested in his fights, though. There are very few clean exchanges in his fights. I literally fast forwarded through almost the entire fight, only watching some of the end of round highlights. If Ward is as good as he and boxing aficionados say he is he should be willing to get into “honest” exchanges. Instead, based on what I have seen, he rarely slugs it out with anyone. You might say, “well, that’s because he is smart. Kind of like Mayweather, he waits until his opponent is spent, them moves in for the kill.” Ok, fine, but it does nothing for me as a viewer. It is hard for me to imagine he is paid much for his fights because, after all, boxing is, first and foremost, entertainment, meaning people watch it for enjoyment. Ward, in my view, is just another one of these slick, talented boxers who could care less about entertaining the viewers and is only focused on doing what it takes to win. Without question, many people will ask what is wrong with that. My response is, it’s boring. He has either forgotten why he is in the sport or doesn’t care, because he is getting a paycheck. When I see certain fighters are fighting next, I get excited, I look forward to watching them work their craft. Fighters like Provodnikov, Kovalev, Arreola, Golovkin, Pacquiao, Alvarado. These guys bring it. They come to fight and I tip my hat to those brave warriors, who are talented, smart and never forget why they are in the ring. To entertain their fans.
JacK Rauber is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
MrMagic
Super Six
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ward is BORING

It may be boring, but Andre Ward is a world class performer.

Beats Dr. Grabimir's jab and grab tactics.

Andre Ward is one of those guys who will only really be appreciated once he is retired, he's already arguably the most accomplished SMW ever, hands down.
MrMagic is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
Cletis VanDamme
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 928

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMagic View Post
It may be boring, but Andre Ward is a world class performer.

Beats Dr. Grabimir's jab and grab tactics.

How so ? At least, Wlad can hurt people with his punches. And i'm not dissing Ward, i just don't like double standards.
Cletis VanDamme is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #4
tennis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

He will only be appreciated when he's gone

Ten we can look back at his fights and watch in awe

Complete fighter

You can pick holes in mayweathers game

Lacks power, low work rate

But you can't against ward
tennis is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
MrMagic
Super Six
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletis VanDamme View Post
How so ? At least, Wlad can hurt people with his punches.
Andre Ward hurt elite opposition (Chad Dawson), Wladimir takes 10 rounds of jabbing and grabbing on to dear life against physically inferior fighters to get them out of there.

Grabimir Clinchko shouldn't be allowed to clinch as much as he does, its despicable at best. He ruins the sport of boxing, do nobody want to see him squid his way to victory against smaller men.
MrMagic is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
MrMagic
Super Six
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis View Post

Complete fighter

Mayweather is more complete than Andre, and I'm a big Ward fan.
MrMagic is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #7
jas
★ Lucas - True Warrior ★
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

i didnt find it boring
jas is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #8
gatorbama
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacK Rauber View Post
Ward has very good skills. No doubt. I find myself uninterested in his fights, though. There are very few clean exchanges in his fights. I literally fast forwarded through almost the entire fight, only watching some of the end of round highlights. If Ward is as good as he and boxing aficionados say he is he should be willing to get into “honest” exchanges. Instead, based on what I have seen, he rarely slugs it out with anyone. You might say, “well, that’s because he is smart. Kind of like Mayweather, he waits until his opponent is spent, them moves in for the kill.” Ok, fine, but it does nothing for me as a viewer. It is hard for me to imagine he is paid much for his fights because, after all, boxing is, first and foremost, entertainment, meaning people watch it for enjoyment. Ward, in my view, is just another one of these slick, talented boxers who could care less about entertaining the viewers and is only focused on doing what it takes to win. Without question, many people will ask what is wrong with that. My response is, it’s boring. He has either forgotten why he is in the sport or doesn’t care, because he is getting a paycheck. When I see certain fighters are fighting next, I get excited, I look forward to watching them work their craft. Fighters like Provodnikov, Kovalev, Arreola, Golovkin, Pacquiao, Alvarado. These guys bring it. They come to fight and I tip my hat to those brave warriors, who are talented, smart and never forget why they are in the ring. To entertain their fans.
If you don't watch his next fight, you want have that problem.
gatorbama is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
Cletis VanDamme
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 928

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMagic View Post
Andre Ward hurt elite opposition (Chad Dawson), Wladimir takes 10 rounds of jabbing and grabbing on to dear life against physically inferior fighters to get them out of there.
No he does not, if your only example is a drained light heavy who went on to get ktfo in 1 the next fight, you know he doesn't hurt "elite opposition", as a matter of fact he doesn't even hurt "c level opposition" to use his expression.
Cletis VanDamme is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #10
blackbolt396
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis View Post

Complete fighter

Low work rate is because he sets the pace and takes away the strength of his opponent. And I'm sorry but Money is just few levels above Ward in all phases,to add Roy made a point in letting the viewers know they where looking at the second best fighter in the world.
blackbolt396 is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #11
JacK Rauber
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 200

I love boxing. Anyone who seeks out a site like this has to. But I have never understood those who defend slick fighters. Some boxing aficionados, like Kellerman, are fond of referring to the late great Willie Pepp, who, we are told, once won a round without throwing a single punch, his defensive skills were so ethereal. OK, fine, I get it. I GET IT.

But why did Mike Tyson get so much press? Why did the Gatti-Ward fights have people talking? Why were people abuzz after the Bradley-Provodnikov fight? Because the atmosphere was electric. People were excited. They jumped from their seats to applaud.

Hey, Andre Ward may be the most talented boxer on the planet but I would rather watch that other Ward, Mickey, any day. Maybe not the most talented but the guy knew why he was in the ring. To entertain, to bring it. Professional fighters should never lose sight of why they are in the ring.
JacK Rauber is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #12
blackbolt396
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacK Rauber View Post
I love boxing. Anyone who seeks out a site like this has to. But I have never understood those who defend slick fighters. Some boxing aficionados, like Kellerman, are fond of referring to the late great Willie Pepp, who, we are told, once won a round without throwing a single punch, his defensive skills were so ethereal. OK, fine, I get it. I GET IT.

But why did Mike Tyson get so much press? Why did the Gatti-Ward fights have people talking? Why were people abuzz after the Bradley-Provodnikov fight? Because the atmosphere was electric. People were excited. They jumped from their seats to applaud.

Hey, Andre Ward may be the most talented boxer on the planet but I would rather watch that other Ward, Mickey, any day. Maybe not the most talented but the guy knew why he was in the ring. To entertain, to bring it. Professional fighters should never lose sight of why they are in the ring.
So there in the ring to get in wars? There is a reason the slick fighters are at the top on all boxing list this sport is about skill.
blackbolt396 is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #13
WinstonBarry
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Yes he is boring and that may be his undoing. He's in the sports-entertainment business and, well, he doesn't do all that much entertaining.
WinstonBarry is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #14
YearZero
Contender
ESB Senior Member

He lit Rodriquez up tonight. Threw punishing power jabs and lethal hooks. Snapped his head back on countless occasions and twisted his neck 360 degrees.
Edwin just has a damn good chin, honestly I can't believe he took some of those shots without going down.

Was a pretty exciting fight IMO.
YearZero is online now  Top
Old 11-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #15
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletis VanDamme View Post
No he does not, if your only example is a drained light heavy who went on to get ktfo in 1 the next fight, you know he doesn't hurt "elite opposition", as a matter of fact he doesn't even hurt "c level opposition" to use his expression.
Ward gave Froch the worst beating of his career. Broke his hose and bashed his face up with one hand. Froch clearly suffered a lot of hurt.
Ward was the only guy to stop Kessler. Kessler quit in that fight.
dinovelvet is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum