Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-16-2013, 05:32 AM   #1
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Tyson Names Holyfield As Best Puncher He Met

In this month's Ring Mike Tyson names Holyfield as the best puncher he met. Tony Tucker as the best jabber,Tony Tubbs as the fastest,Mitch Green as having the best footwork, Jose Ribalta as being the strongest, and having the best chin, and Larry Holmes as being the smartest.
mcvey is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2013, 05:37 AM   #2
Brixton Bomber
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Tyson Names Holyfield As Best Puncher He Met

No mention of Lennox at all?
Brixton Bomber is online now  Top
Old 12-16-2013, 05:43 AM   #3
The Long Count
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Fighters notoriously leave off fighters they lost too when creating lists based on career accomplishments. I am surprised he gave Holyfield credit but perhaps the commercial they just filmed together has softened their stance against one another. Most fighters when asked to pick who was their hardest opponent will always pick a fighter they defeated rather than name a fighter who beat them. I would suspect it's a combination of ego and pride but that's just my theory.
The Long Count is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
The Long Count
Contender
ESB Senior Member

On a side note Tyson has become refreshingly candid in his later years and I am glad to see he has turned his life around. His choices in Mcvey's list are interesting. Mitch Green as best footwork is surprising and I love that he took Tucker's jab over Holmes, although Holmes didn't bring his weapon out till the 4th round right before he got caught with the perfectly timed overhand right.
The Long Count is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2013, 06:02 AM   #5
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
Bahahaha Tyson would want to say that wouldn't he since he's the only true great that got KOd by him. He's back on the pipe again.

I like Tyson's REAL opinion shortly after his fight with Lewis.. "I don't think I could ever beat him if he hits like THAT!" LOL That's the guy who hit him the hardest and he bloody well knows it too.

Not modern day featherfist Holyfield.
I was surprised he picked Holyfield over Lewis and Ruddock but I wouldn't call Evander ,"feather fisted" , neither I suspect would Bowe and Mercer.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2013, 06:09 AM   #6
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2137

I would have thought Ruddock if anyone. Tyson was very complimentary about his power.
It's also interesting in that he said recently that the only guy to hurt him with bodyshots is Tillis.
I see no problem with Tyson naming Holyfeld as the best puncher.
Perhaps he meant the best overall puncher, as opposed to one who merely hit him the hardest.
I recall Alex Stewart as being another that was very impressed with Holyfield as an overall puncher. When asked many years ago who would win a prospective Holyfeld-Tyson fight, Stewart said that although their power was not comparable, Holyfield hit hard and that he kept opponents off-balance.

But it amuses me when posters constantly reference a fighter's opinion when it suits them, and then dismiss it out of hand when it doesn't. Cracks me up.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2013, 06:13 AM   #7
guncho
next champion!
ESB Addict

I don't want to say I agree with Tyson but maybe it's style thing if you watch how Holyfield fought Tyson it was toe to toe with every punch thrown with full power compered to Lewis who jabbed most of time and than landed atomic bomb that kod him!

So maybe what Tyson thinks is that Holyfield hurt him more trough fight~!
guncho is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2013, 07:23 AM   #8
moneypaysbills
That's Mr moneypaysbills
ESB Senior Member

He might not mean 'best puncher' in terms of raw power. But in terms of timing, accuracy and putting punches together
moneypaysbills is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
Big Ukrainian
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
Bahahaha Tyson would want to say that wouldn't he since he's the only true great that got KOd by him. He's back on the pipe again.

I like Tyson's REAL opinion shortly after his fight with Lewis.. "I don't think I could ever beat him if he hits like THAT!" LOL That's the guy who hit him the hardest and he bloody well knows it too.

Not modern day featherfist Holyfield.
LOL what??? Holyfield was the first and the only one who knocked down and out iron-chinned Qawi.

Holyfield dropped and badly hurt Tyson, being second fighter to do that besides Douglas.

At HW Holyfield knocked down Riddick Bowe and Ray Mercer for the first time in their careers (Which Lewis failed to do against Mercer despite hitting him with best punches).

Holyfield is also the only one who knocked down Vaughn Bean.

Surely, Lewis hits harder than Holy but to say Holyfield is featherfisted?
Big Ukrainian is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury View Post
I would have thought Ruddock if anyone. Tyson was very complimentary about his power.
It's also interesting in that he said recently that the only guy to hurt him with bodyshots is Tillis.
I see no problem with Tyson naming Holyfeld as the best puncher.
Perhaps he meant the best overall puncher, as opposed to one who merely hit him the hardest.
I recall Alex Stewart as being another that was very impressed with Holyfield as an overall puncher. When asked many years ago who would win a prospective Holyfeld-Tyson fight, Stewart said that although their power was not comparable, Holyfield hit hard and that he kept opponents off-balance.

But it amuses me when posters constantly reference a fighter's opinion when it suits them, and then dismiss it out of hand when it doesn't. Cracks me up.

I'm totally neutral on it, I just thought it was an interesting tit bit.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #11
Hookie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Long Count View Post
Fighters notoriously leave off fighters they lost too when creating lists based on career accomplishments. I am surprised he gave Holyfield credit but perhaps the commercial they just filmed together has softened their stance against one another. Most fighters when asked to pick who was their hardest opponent will always pick a fighter they defeated rather than name a fighter who beat them. I would suspect it's a combination of ego and pride but that's just my theory.
good post
Hookie is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2013, 10:47 AM   #12
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2137

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
[/u]
I know Mcvey, thanks for posting this.

I think we all tend to speak and think in absolutes on the board. What I mean is, is that we expect all-time great fighters to be better than everyone else at footwork, power, speed etc. simply because they had ATG careers.

Lennox was a great heavyweight, and for what it's worth Tyson in his new book called Lennox's skill level 'superb', but I think it's perfectly possible that he was not THE best at any one thing out of the guys Tyson faced. He fought a lot of good fighters, so I don't get the butt-hurt to be honest.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #13
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Hmmm... Tucker's jab over the jab he met from Douglas is also interesting. And Jose Ribalta being stronger than Bonecrusher or Lewis...
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #14
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury View Post
I know Mcvey, thanks for posting this.

I think we all tend to speak and think in absolutes on the board. What I mean is, is that we expect all-time great fighters to be better than everyone else at footwork, power, speed etc. simply because they had ATG careers.

Lennox was a great heavyweight, and for what it's worth Tyson in his new book called Lennox's skill level 'superb', but I think it's perfectly possible that he was not THE best at any one thing out of the guys Tyson faced. He fought a lot of good fighters, so I don't get the butt-hurt to be honest.

Agreed; we get very caught up here in absolutes here, to the detriment of discussion overall.

It's also possible that Tyson is cognizant of the fact that he wasn't at his best (to say the least) when he fought Lewis, and his resistance to hard punches wasn't what it had been. I mean if a young, strong, prime killer like that comes away impressed with your power it means something different than a heavy, thirty-something with no legs being impressed with your power. Therefore, it's unfair and inherently inaccurate and misleading to rank Lewis' respective power to others at various points in Tyson's career.

And while it's true that he wasn't at his best for Holyfield either, that was still quite a few years before he tangled with Lewis.

Or maybe he is just being bitchy and doesn't like Lewis or somethng. Who knows.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #15
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
[/u]
Interesting misspelling considering the topic is Tyson.
Shake is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum