Old 11-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #31
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ali v Shavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg2227 View Post
What are your opinions on Ali's performanc in this on? I love the 15 th round cracking round.

In spite of being way passed even his seventies best,Muhammad managed to turn it on during the last minute of the final round. He may well have dropped 'The Acorn' had he connected a minute earlier.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #32
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
In spite of being way passed even his seventies best,Muhammad managed to turn it on during the last minute of the final round. He may well have dropped 'The Acorn' had he connected a minute earlier.
He was! He was ripping Earnie with counters all round. One little sneaky left hook finally did the damage.

It's amazing to watch him counter off the ropes, even while getting bullied and cracked by a murderous puncher. Dude was a hero inside the ropes.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #33
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg2227 View Post
What are your opinions on Ali's performanc in this on? I love the 15 th round cracking round.
Ali at age 35 was faded, yet his dec. win over Shavers in '77 New York was his last bit of greatness as a ringer... I saw the fight live on prime-time TV back in '77... I have a copy of the best rds on file.... Very good stuff....

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #34
HOUDINI
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Watching it after so many years a strong case can be made that Earnie won that round. He dominated until the last 20 to 30 seconds. However those last seconds Earnie was close to going down so it depends on how it's weighed against Earnies all out assault the first 2.50 minutes of that round.
HOUDINI is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #35
HOUDINI
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I watched it also live in 77. I despised Ali back then but did not feel Earnie did enough to win. Just too many rounds where he did little but conserve his energy.
HOUDINI is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #36
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Ali was a master at winning rounds by dominating the last minute after sometimes doing little in the preceding two minutes.

Sugar Ray Leonard was also a notable exponent of the same "trick" - probably an Angelo Dundee initiative?

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum