Old 11-18-2012, 03:50 AM   #16
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887
Default Re: Boxing is an art. You play sports you dont play boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by conraddobler View Post
I think you miss the point. The claim is not that any old football player can be converted to a boxer at age 25.

The point is that the best athletes choose other sports at a young age and never become boxers.

The fact that Seth Mitchell got as far as he did is a testimony to his strength and athleticism. What he lacked was the skill that is developed over a lifetime of boxing.
I agree with this. There is no doubt that to make it to the top, you need great athleticism.
But the sentiment of the thread is spot on though...you need more than pure athleticism. You need an innate toughness, which is why the vast majority of successful fighters have come from terrible backrounds.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2012, 03:54 AM   #17
platnumpapi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

the better skilled fighter will always win, sometimes a well conditioned fighter cause problems but they just prolong there beatings at the end of the day.
platnumpapi is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 04:21 AM   #18
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJFan View Post
A freak athlete that had been boxing since he was 10 and arguably won an Olympic Gold Medal in boxing? Yeah, he has ****all skills.
I'm the biggest Roy Jones fan there is, I was just using his name as an example of freak athleticism. He never had to perfect the 'art' of boxing, he did boxing his own way thanks to his athleticism. My point was that athleticism can't compensate for skills.. if you had athleticism on a Roy Jones level then you could probably still do very well without perfecting different aspects of your game.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 04:36 AM   #19
puertorricane
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

boxing is a sport like any other sport.. you need skills like any other and training will only make you better.... of course if you take an athlete that hasnt boxed long and put him with an experience boxer well the athlete will get schooled no matter how fast, big and strong he is..

but all things being equal i'll pick the good boxer that's also a great trained athlete over the boxer with no athleticism 90% of the times

puertorricane is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 05:24 AM   #20
pirao666
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWarrior View Post
Boxing is an art. You play sports you dont play boxing
pirao666 is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 05:42 AM   #21
MaliBua
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWarrior View Post
Once again proving that big muscles, 40 yard dash and bench press doesnt mean anything in the ring.

Banks maintained distance without running. Set a trap and finished.

Disappointing for Seth but Banks is from Michigan and he's a Manny fighter so im happy for him

Good and reasonable Post Michigan Man!
MaliBua is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 05:45 AM   #22
Big Left
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by conraddobler View Post
I think you miss the point. The claim is not that any old football player can be converted to a boxer at age 25.

The point is that the best athletes choose other sports at a young age and never become boxers.

The fact that Seth Mitchell got as far as he did is a testimony to his strength and athleticism. What he lacked was the skill that is developed over a lifetime of boxing.

No the point is being a good athlete does not make you a good boxer.

just cause someone excels in one sport it does not mean they will be good in another.

The fact Seth Michell got as far as he did is cause he was an overprotected hype job.
Big Left is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 05:46 AM   #23
Big Left
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
I'm the biggest Roy Jones fan there is, I was just using his name as an example of freak athleticism. He never had to perfect the 'art' of boxing, he did boxing his own way thanks to his athleticism. My point was that athleticism can't compensate for skills.. if you had athleticism on a Roy Jones level then you could probably still do very well without perfecting different aspects of your game.
Rubbish, it is a total myth that RJJ was not a good technical boxer. It is just that movement was a big part of his style and when that went he could not adapt.
Big Left is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 07:22 AM   #24
megavolt
Constantly Shadowboxing
East Side Guru

Pretty much. Reminds me of the hemingway quote but boxing should be listed in there as well

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”
megavolt is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #25
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

vCash: 588

There is a REASON they call it the "sweet science."
Zakman is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #26
puertorricane
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Left View Post
No the point is being a good athlete does not make you a good boxer.

just cause someone excels in one sport it does not mean they will be good in another.

The fact Seth Michell got as far as he did is cause he was an overprotected hype job.
just like being a good athlete doesnt make you a good baseball player or basketball player or soccer player or a swimmer.... boxing is no different there are a lot of skills involved that you need to learn with training over the years

puertorricane is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #27
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Left View Post
Rubbish, it is a total myth that RJJ was not a good technical boxer. It is just that movement was a big part of his style and when that went he could not adapt.
Learn to read, nowhere am I saying that Roy Jones wasn't a good technical boxer. He was technically good using his style based on athleticism (Head movement, feinting, unorthodox angles and combinations using his reflexes), when that athleticism went he didn't have a traditional technical style that a regular boxer needs to rely on.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #28
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by puertorricane View Post
just like being a good athlete doesnt make you a good baseball player or basketball player or soccer player or a swimmer.... boxing is no different there are a lot of skills involved that you need to learn with training over the years

Old 11-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #29
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
Learn to read, nowhere am I saying that Roy Jones wasn't a good technical boxer. He was technically good using his style based on athleticism (Head movement, feinting, unorthodox angles and combinations using his reflexes), when that athleticism went he didn't have a traditional technical style that a regular boxer needs to rely on.
I hate when people say that. If a fighter's reflexes go, he's done. None of this "technical skill" bullshit matters if you can't pull the trigger when the opening is there.
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #30
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawJab View Post
I hate when people say that. If a fighter's reflexes go, he's done. None of this "technical skill" bullshit matters if you can't pull the trigger when the opening is there.

You base your style and technique on your physical attributes, if your technique is based on a foundation of athleticism and your athleticism goes you need more traditional technique that plays the percentages and is safer. You don't have to be fast and pull the trigger at the right time if you have orthodox boxing techniques ingrained. Look at Hopkins, he makes his own openings so he doesn't have to react to anything. He plays safe boxing so he doesn't have to rely on athleticism/speed/reflexes.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum