Old 11-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #32
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 462
Default Re: Boxing is an art. You play sports you dont play boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post

You base your style and technique on your physical attributes, if your technique is based on a foundation of athleticism and your athleticism goes you need more traditional technique that plays the percentages and is safer. You don't have to be fast and pull the trigger at the right time if you have orthodox boxing techniques ingrained. Look at Hopkins, he makes his own openings so he doesn't have to react to anything. He plays safe boxing so he doesn't have to rely on athleticism/speed/reflexes.
Every great fighter relies on athletic qualities. It's what seperates them from good fighters. Hopkins just holds and fights dirty. That's not technique. He also can still pull the trigger when the opening is there. Every fighter needs their reflexes to land punches and openings. If you can't get there quick enough, you are a sitting duck.
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #33
mrjotatp4p
THE ONE
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Well said Michigan. One of the first things my old trainer said to me was that quote.
mrjotatp4p is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #34
Scorpion
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury View Post
I agree with this. There is no doubt that to make it to the top, you need great athleticism.
But the sentiment of the thread is spot on though...you need more than pure athleticism. You need an innate toughness, which is why the vast majority of successful fighters have come from terrible backrounds.
I don't think that's completely true, Winky Wright and Andre Ward aren't all that in terms of athleticism but both are great.
Scorpion is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #35
Greco
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

I really don't understand the argument that most of the better big men in America are playing other sports, cuz if they had more talent for boxing than what they had in these other sports, then I'm sure they would have chose boxing rather than the other sports they're playing.
Greco is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #36
Quincy K
Belt holder
ESB Addict

"you dont play boxing."
-antonio tarver

"everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face."
-mike tyson

two great quotes
Quincy K is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #37
Quincy K
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by platnumpapi View Post
the better skilled fighter will always win, sometimes a well conditioned fighter cause problems but they just prolong there beatings at the end of the day.

then why did zab judah lose to carlos baldomir?
Quincy K is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #38
Quincy K
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman71 View Post
if anyone on these boards have an ounce of common sense (most dont) all you had to do is watch the chazz witherspoon fight...when mitchell cried at the end because he came back and won , it told me that he thought he was lucky to even beat a slow lumbering guy like that .....trainwreck waiting to happen....next train wreck to happen on a smaller scale...Deontay Wilder
floyd mayweather cried after he beat arturo gatti. the same gatti who then went on to lose to alfonso gomez who treated the win with a business as usual demeanor.

just saying.
Quincy K is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #39
mrjotatp4p
THE ONE
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco View Post
I really don't understand the argument that most of the better big men in America are playing other sports, cuz if they had the talent in boxing that they had in these other sports, then I'm sure they would have chose boxing rather than the other sports they're playing.
Well you have a lot of kids right now in youth football and basketball. You don't have a lot of young 6 and 7 yr olds in boxing gyms like the old days. You have to start young in boxing bc it is an art. The big men in other sports played pop warner and shit instead of going into a gym at 7 and learning boxing. Mitchell is a prime example. He started late and look how far he got. Imagine if he had started boxing at the age of 6 or 7? He wouldn't have made the rookie mistakes last night like holding the waste instead of the arms of Banks.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #40
Greco
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjotatp4p View Post
Well you have a lot of kids right now in youth football and basketball. You don't have a lot of young 6 and 7 yr olds in boxing gyms like the old days. You have to start young in boxing bc it is an art. The big men in other sports played pop warner and shit instead of going into a gym at 7 and learning boxing. Mitchell is a prime example. He started late and look how far he got. Imagine if he had started boxing at the age of 6 or 7? He wouldn't have made the rookie mistakes last night like holding the waste instead of the arms of Banks.
I agree with you that he would have done better than what he did, but I don't know that he would have ever been able to take the punch that the world-class level heavyweights would be throwing at him. The argument I'm mainly hearing is that the athleticism that a lot of the bigger guys we have here in America that are playing sports have would be enough to guarantee them to be a championship level fighter. I just feel like there athleticism alone wouldn't guarantee that they would be successful against the better opposition on the world level.
Greco is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #41
dangerousity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 0

Well nobody ever said being a good athlete will make you a great boxer, but its one of the key components, just as is height, power, skill, speed etc.

The fact that Seth Mitchell had only been a pro for 4 years and virtually no amateur background, still managed to get to this level proves that perhaps, maybe all the best boxers are in football or basketball. Just imagine if he had been boxing since he was 5 years old...
dangerousity is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #42
T.S.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWarrior View Post
Once again proving that big muscles, 40 yard dash and bench press doesnt mean anything in the ring.

Banks maintained distance without running. Set a trap and finished.

Disappointing for Seth but Banks is from Michigan and he's a Manny fighter so im happy for him.
No doubt about it! Great advice from Bank's corner "Don't give any rounds away LET YOUR HANDS GO"

Well that worked

Congrats to Banks on an awesome display of boxing skill
T.S. is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #43
mrjotatp4p
THE ONE
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco View Post
I agree with you that he would have done better than what he did, but I don't know that he would have ever been able to take the punch that the world-class level heavyweights would be throwing at him. The argument I'm mainly hearing is that the athleticism that a lot of the bigger guys we have here in America that are playing sports have would be enough to guarantee them to be a championship level fighter. I just feel like there athleticism alone wouldn't guarantee that they would be successful against the better opposition on the world level.
You are missing the major point. If they took up boxing as a young kid they would have the skill to go along with the athleticism.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #44
mrjotatp4p
THE ONE
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousity View Post
Well nobody ever said being a good athlete will make you a great boxer, but its one of the key components, just as is height, power, skill, speed etc.

The fact that Seth Mitchell had only been a pro for 4 years and virtually no amateur background, still managed to get to this level proves that perhaps, maybe all the best boxers are in football or basketball. Just imagine if he had been boxing since he was 5 years old...
Old 11-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #45
BadDog
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousity View Post

just imagine if he was studying rocket science since 5 years old. By now he would've already build space ships that can fly to Jupiter. Colonization of our galaxy by human race would've begun. Just imagine...
Maybe the best rocket scientists are in NBA too. They just chose basketball instead of rocket science.
BadDog is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum