Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #106
doylexxx
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,351
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is Ricky burns terrified of Adrian broner?

"it's not the right time"
doylexxx is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #107
macho_grande
"I'll never get over"
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,676
vCash: 1534
Default Re: Is Ricky burns terrified of Adrian broner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemax View Post
Billy Nelson saying what he says means the square root of **** all. Do you think anyone from the Burns management team are going to start negotiating in public, or tell you the finer points of any offer. Don't be daft.

If the offer had been made and it was a decent one dont you think that team Broner would be shouting it from the rooftops? The lack of a figure out in the open by one side or the other speaks volumes
These boards have been light up with people accusing Burns of ducking Broner. Unsurprisingly Billy Nelson has been on here to defend him & never once has he said there was no offer made.

He said it himself that the decision to fight Broner was solely down to Burns, & he didn't want it.

Perhaps I'm naive, but why would Billy lie?

Surley if he was going to lie it would be better to say that GBP didn't make an offer. Rather than saying "Ricky didn't want it"?
macho_grande is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #108
Trail
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 420
vCash: 500
Default Re: I hope burns and his team feel ashamed

Typical Scot, *****ing out.

Either that or W.a.rren being a cherry-picking cunt.
Trail is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #109
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kent. UK.
Posts: 5,165
vCash: 81
Default Re: Is Ricky burns terrified of Adrian broner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macho_grande View Post
These boards have been light up with people accusing Burns of ducking Broner. Unsurprisingly Billy Nelson has been on here to defend him & never once has he said there was no offer made.

He said it himself that the decision to fight Broner was solely down to Burns, & he didn't want it.

Perhaps I'm naive, but why would Billy lie?

Surley if he was going to lie it would be better to say that GBP didn't make an offer. Rather than saying "Ricky didn't want it"?
Ducking is such a shit term, very poor indeed, I expect better from you.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #110
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 13,619
vCash: 664
Default Re: Is Ricky burns terrified of Adrian broner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macho_grande View Post
These boards have been light up with people accusing Burns of ducking Broner. Unsurprisingly Billy Nelson has been on here to defend him & never once has he said there was no offer made.

He said it himself that the decision to fight Broner was solely down to Burns, & he didn't want it.

Perhaps I'm naive, but why would Billy lie?

Surley if he was going to lie it would be better to say that GBP didn't make an offer. Rather than saying "Ricky didn't want it"?
Why would Billy say what he has knowing the flak that his fighter was going to get?....Im not saying that Billy is lying, he's just not giving us the full picture. My best guess is that Burns is holding out for a better offer....you can call that what you like.....wrong timing for the fight perhaps
icemax is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #111
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 22,626
vCash: 500
Default Re: Is Ricky burns terrified of Adrian broner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemax View Post
I could ****ing scream sometimes......Can somebody PLEASE answer me this....Has Broners promotional team actually made an offer to Ricky Burns? And if so, whats the deal? Gobbing off on TV does not equate to an offer BTW. I would bet that no one can answer my question
Schaefer had been negotiating with promoter Frank ****** to match Broner with Scotland's Burns, but Schaefer said they asked for more than $1 million, which was way off what was budgeted for the fight.

"Gavin Rees was one of the fighters on the short list of approved opponents by HBO," Schaefer said. "I guess he wanted the fight more since Ricky Burns outpriced himself. I can understand that a fighter would want a career-high payday when fighting Adrien, but when a fighter asks for three or four times his highest payday and wants payment tax-free, then it is simply a way of saying, 'No, I don't want to fight Broner.'

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

You can't take Schaefer's word for everything. No one from Burns' side said they wanted anything tax-free. Ricky's manager was quoted as saying any purse for a Broner fight would have to be worth around 400k post tax and other fees.

edit: here we go: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

And as you can see Morrison said Burns won't be fighting Broner in February two weeks ago and they'll look to make it happen later this year.
ishy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #112
macho_grande
"I'll never get over"
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,676
vCash: 1534
Default Re: Is Ricky burns terrified of Adrian broner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C84 View Post
Ducking is such a shit term, very poor indeed, I expect better from you.
I was just pointing out that people are accusing him of ducking. It's a fair observation having read these boards...... What's wrong with saying that?
macho_grande is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #113
Pecsaetan
It's egg in soup!
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,084
vCash: 204
Default Re: I hope burns and his team feel ashamed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
This I don't agree with at all. Burns isn't on HBO, but Burns actually sells tickets. He can fight another six fights and retire on good money. Broner hasn't got any fanbase at all. Ricky would be his best opponent to date - he DOES need him.
Selling tickets doesn't matter where HBO is concerned. Andre Berto and Devon Alexander have made plenty off them and neither of them can draw flies to shit. Burns might sell more in Scotland, but he isn't exactly the second coming of Hatton when it comes to tickets either. Broner will earn decent money regardless of Ricky Burns, I'm not sure the same can be said the other way around.
Pecsaetan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #114
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kent. UK.
Posts: 5,165
vCash: 81
Default Re: Is Ricky burns terrified of Adrian broner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macho_grande View Post
I was just pointing out that people are accusing him of ducking. It's a fair observation having read these boards...... What's wrong with saying that?
Because there is always something else involved, Promotion, Management, happyness? I think it's a bit unfair to say a fighter is DUCKING another fighter, knowing that all theses issues and outside politics also play a part.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #115
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 13,619
vCash: 664
Default Re: Is Ricky burns terrified of Adrian broner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishy View Post
Schaefer had been negotiating with promoter Frank ****** to match Broner with Scotland's Burns, but Schaefer said they asked for more than $1 million, which was way off what was budgeted for the fight.

"Gavin Rees was one of the fighters on the short list of approved opponents by HBO," Schaefer said. "I guess he wanted the fight more since Ricky Burns outpriced himself. I can understand that a fighter would want a career-high payday when fighting Adrien, but when a fighter asks for three or four times his highest payday and wants payment tax-free, then it is simply a way of saying, 'No, I don't want to fight Broner.'

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

You can't take Schaefer's word for everything. No one from Burns' side said they wanted anything tax-free. Ricky's manager was quoted as saying any purse for a Broner fight would have to be worth around 400k post tax and other fees.

edit: here we go: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

And as you can see Morrison said Burns won't be fighting Broner in February two weeks ago and they'll look to make it happen later this year.
Cheers Ishy....so whats basically being said is that Schaefers offer fell short of expectations......400K net doesnt sound unreasonable.....What was Burns purse against Mitchell?
icemax is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #116
macho_grande
"I'll never get over"
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,676
vCash: 1534
Default Re: Is Ricky burns terrified of Adrian broner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemax View Post
Why would Billy say what he has knowing the flak that his fighter was going to get?....Im not saying that Billy is lying, he's just not giving us the full picture. My best guess is that Burns is holding out for a better offer....you can call that what you like.....wrong timing for the fight perhaps
I have no doubt whatsoever that Ricky's team were holding out for a better offer..... However when people have been on here defending Burns saying that he's a stand up guy, & he wants the fight etc etc.

To here Billy Nelson say Burns didn't want it is massivley Dissapointing.

Let's be honest, Burns needs Broner allot more than Broner needs Burns. If Ricky has aspirations of being a boxing star, he should have taken the Broner fight now.

He might end up getting the fight, & the purse he wants & I hope he does. However why run the risk of missing out all together?

Whether you like Broner or not, he has the hype machine behind him & no doubt some mega fights & money on the horizon. Burns could quite easily end up high risk low reward for Broner later on down the line.

It wouldn't surprise me if next time they try and negotiate with Broner, GBP tell them to go and **** themselves.
macho_grande is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #117
paulko
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: uk
Posts: 312
vCash: 500
Default Re: Is Ricky burns scared of Adrian broner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decy View Post
Well done mate it's only taken you 200 posts to be the biggest cunt on this site,excellent work you must be very proud.
Agree saw his post n didnt bother reading any further.
paulko is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #118
macho_grande
"I'll never get over"
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,676
vCash: 1534
Default Re: Is Ricky burns terrified of Adrian broner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C84 View Post
Because there is always something else involved, Promotion, Management, happyness? I think it's a bit unfair to say a fighter is DUCKING another fighter, knowing that all theses issues and outside politics also play a part.
Let's wait & see who Burns fights next.....

When people accused Brook of ducking Bradley it was easy to brush that off as nonsense. Matchroom had long since chosen the path of IBF mandatory & they've followed that through against Alexander.

What's Ricky's path??.
macho_grande is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #119
tmsbry
#1
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,838
vCash: 14400
Default Re: Is Ricky burns terrified of Adrian broner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemax View Post
Cheers Ishy....so whats basically being said is that Schaefers offer fell short of expectations......400K net doesnt sound unreasonable.....What was Burns purse against Mitchell?
Billy Nelson has already said Ricky didn't want the fight in February, why can't you understand that, why are you debating offers we all know were made.

Burns didn't want the fight, Rees did!!
tmsbry is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #120
tmsbry
#1
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,838
vCash: 14400
Default Re: I hope burns and his team feel ashamed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post



Short of Rees beating him, Broner will still be there in May.


you do know Broner could potentially fight Gamboa in May, where'd Ricky be then
tmsbry is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013