boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121
Default Emanuel’s Manual: Steward’s Keys To The Fight (Mayweather-Ortiz)

Emanuel’s Manual: Steward’s Keys To The Fight
By Eric Raskin

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
(Photo: Will Hart)

Hall of Fame trainer and manager and HBO expert ****yst Emanuel Steward, who will call the Mayweather-Ortiz fight on Saturday for HBO Pay-Per-View, offers his three keys to victory for each combatant:

Floyd Mayweather

1. Be prepared mentally for a challenge: Facing a young, aggressive, high-intensity fighter unlike anyone that he’s fought in a long time, Floyd has to be mentally ready for the reality of the situation. Probably the last opponent Floyd fought who was this aggressive was Jose Luis Castillo. But Castillo didn’t have the energy and the fire and the explosiveness that this man has. Floyd may have to dig down a little bit deeper than he’s had to recently, when he’s been able to stay in his comfort zone. If he’s not ready for a tough fight, if he’s gotten away from reality with so many people telling him how great he is all the time, then he might not be able to deal with adversity.

2. Place his punches accurately: Floyd can’t let himself get into an output contest, where he’s throwing just to keep pace with Ortiz. Instead, he needs to place his punches and try to slow the pace. He can’t let himself worry about out-hustling Ortiz. He should be doing it with quality instead of quantity.

3. Punch with power: If he’s going to discourage this kid, Floyd is going to have to punch with authority. He has to have full power on his punches. He can’t do that thing he sometimes does where he pulls back as he punches. Even Floyd himself said, “If I had really opened up all the way on Shane Mosley, I would probably have knocked him out.”

Victor Ortiz

1. Force a faster pace: Ortiz isn’t going to be able to let loose quite like he did against Andre Berto, because of Floyd’s style. He’s going to see a guy feinting him and trying to counterpunch, so Ortiz is going to start a little slower, a little more cautious. And that’s okay. But I think as the fight goes on, he’s going to have to pick up his momentum. He’s got to try to make Floyd fight faster than he wants to. I think he’s going to have to get inside on him and push him, rough him up a lot. That’s what messes up a lot of veteran fighters; they’re used to fighting at a certain pace, and when you make them fight faster, they get more exhausted.

2. Don’t be in awe of Mayweather: I really think Ortiz is different than most of Mayweather’s opponents. This boy doesn’t give a damn about Floyd. When they were together, doing press conferences and TV appearances, Mayweather didn’t intimidate this guy like he does other guys. Victor has everything to gain and nothing to lose. Floyd has the superior skills, but Ortiz has the arrogance to match him.

3. Don’t get caught with the counter right hand: When Ortiz fights aggressively, he leaves his head a little high, which means he’s there to be caught with a counter right hand. Floyd has not knocked anybody out with that punch in a long time, but it’s still one of his best punches. Ortiz is physically strong enough to win, but he’s got to be careful not to walk into right hands.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
Ring Master
The Originator
East Side Guru

vCash: 818
Default Re: Emanuel’s Manual: Steward’s Keys To The Fight (Mayweather-Ortiz)

Great read. i guess bc it has to do with actual boxing strategy and not pac****s or *****s opinion, you won't get much response.
Ring Master is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
ecdrm15
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ring Master View Post
Great read. i guess bc it has to do with actual boxing strategy and not pac****s or *****s opinion, you won't get much response.
ecdrm15 is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
Englund
Warrior
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 270

Pretty accurate. Those are really strong points. I never thought about Ortiz leaving his head high.
Englund is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2011, 04:53 PM   #5
Leon
The Artful Dodger
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
3. Don’t get caught with the counter right hand: When Ortiz fights aggressively, he leaves his head a little high, which means he’s there to be caught with a counter right hand. Floyd has not knocked anybody out with that punch in a long time, but it’s still one of his best punches. Ortiz is physically strong enough to win, but he’s got to be careful not to walk into right hands.
My favorite point he shares.
Leon is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
Hotsauce
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

good ****
Hotsauce is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
Reppin501
The People's Champ
East Side Guru

Good **** there...
Reppin501 is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2011, 06:27 PM   #8
Pimp C
Houston VS Everybody
East Side VIP

Good stuff from Steward. I agree with most of it.
Pimp C is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #9
Sunchild78
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

2 and 3 for Floyd is his usual. He's always mentally ready and is probably the most accurate puncher in the sport today. Ortiz is going to have to apply pressure, but it's got to be smart pressure. Floyd have fought to many people with this game plan in the pass, and have prevail each time. Ortiz will be open for the right hand all night. I seen that much from the Berto fight.
Sunchild78 is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2011, 02:11 AM   #10
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ring Master View Post
Yup. I'm kind of used to it by now, posting technical talk and only have a few reciprocators (though I do cry at night sometimes about how I slaved over translating that extensive Nacho Beristain interview in which he explained how he came up with his school of thought, and that **** only got one page of comments.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englund View Post
Pretty accurate. Those are really strong points. I never thought about Ortiz leaving his head high.

Yea, I think Steward was right on point. He discussed the psychological characteristics without taking jabs at either ones' persona, and was very right about the technical points. Ortiz not having his guard tight or his chin tucked are what led to him getting hurt in the Berto fight. Ortiz mentioned he should have listened to his corner more, but who knows how much he could progress in so little time.

I believe Mayweather will use his punches to get his respect by at least the midway point. Ortiz would do well not to wait on Floyd; you hesitate, you get picked apart. Obviously he can't outbox him, but you have to be confident in what you do and when you throw if you hope to land anything. Not giving a **** about Floyd is a great way to go into the ring. Cautions, as with any opponent, but not in awe. I think Mayweather will win handily but I'm hoping Ortiz can make it interesting and come out better for it after it's over.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2011, 02:13 AM   #11
san rafael
0.00% lemming
East Side VIP

vCash: 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
Emanuel’s Manual: Steward’s Keys To The Fight
By Eric Raskin

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
(Photo: Will Hart)

Hall of Fame trainer and manager and HBO expert ****yst Emanuel Steward, who will call the Mayweather-Ortiz fight on Saturday for HBO Pay-Per-View, offers his three keys to victory for each combatant:

Floyd Mayweather

1. Be prepared mentally for a challenge: Facing a young, aggressive, high-intensity fighter unlike anyone that he’s fought in a long time, Floyd has to be mentally ready for the reality of the situation. Probably the last opponent Floyd fought who was this aggressive was Jose Luis Castillo. But Castillo didn’t have the energy and the fire and the explosiveness that this man has. Floyd may have to dig down a little bit deeper than he’s had to recently, when he’s been able to stay in his comfort zone. If he’s not ready for a tough fight, if he’s gotten away from reality with so many people telling him how great he is all the time, then he might not be able to deal with adversity.

2. Place his punches accurately: Floyd can’t let himself get into an output contest, where he’s throwing just to keep pace with Ortiz. Instead, he needs to place his punches and try to slow the pace. He can’t let himself worry about out-hustling Ortiz. He should be doing it with quality instead of quantity.

3. Punch with power: If he’s going to discourage this kid, Floyd is going to have to punch with authority. He has to have full power on his punches. He can’t do that thing he sometimes does where he pulls back as he punches. Even Floyd himself said, “If I had really opened up all the way on Shane Mosley, I would probably have knocked him out.”

Victor Ortiz

1. Force a faster pace: Ortiz isn’t going to be able to let loose quite like he did against Andre Berto, because of Floyd’s style. He’s going to see a guy feinting him and trying to counterpunch, so Ortiz is going to start a little slower, a little more cautious. And that’s okay. But I think as the fight goes on, he’s going to have to pick up his momentum. He’s got to try to make Floyd fight faster than he wants to. I think he’s going to have to get inside on him and push him, rough him up a lot. That’s what messes up a lot of veteran fighters; they’re used to fighting at a certain pace, and when you make them fight faster, they get more exhausted.

2. Don’t be in awe of Mayweather: I really think Ortiz is different than most of Mayweather’s opponents. This boy doesn’t give a damn about Floyd. When they were together, doing press conferences and TV appearances, Mayweather didn’t intimidate this guy like he does other guys. Victor has everything to gain and nothing to lose. Floyd has the superior skills, but Ortiz has the arrogance to match him.

Floyd needs to be activated to go there. Ortiz has the formula though.
san rafael is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2011, 02:47 AM   #12
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rafael View Post
Floyd needs to be activated to go there. Ortiz has the formula though.
You mean to provoke him?
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #13
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

I was looking through my old threads and thought I'd bump this out of respect and admiration. As we should have known, this fight went exactly how Emmanuel Steward predicted.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #14
Boxing Fanatic
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

way to hype a guy who had no chance
Boxing Fanatic is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum