Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
Slyk
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 3364
Default What I feel made Emmanuel Steward truly special...

He had a unique combination of three qualities:

He could recognize true physical talent. Most people think they can pick a talented guy out of a bunch but they couldn't do it like Steward.

He could recognize DESIRE in a fighter, and could help to instill it. Most trainers are clueless when it comes to truly instilling a lifelong desire.

He could cultivate and nurture the aforementioned talent and desire to create a masterpiece. His fighters really are creations in a sense, and the fact that you can RECOGNIZE a Steward fighter by his style speaks to his legacy.

For a trainer to have one of these qualities is special, for someone to have all three is truly remarkable. I don't know that a trainer will impact boxing as Steward has ever again, at least not for a very very long time.
Slyk is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2012, 03:15 AM   #2
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: What I feel made Emmanuel Steward truly special...

Lets recognize Steward as an exellent trainer, but lets be real, he had shortcomings as well. He did not work great with every fighter he trained.
Imo he was great at training and instructing fighters with height and reach. Hearns, Lewis, and Wladimir Klitchko are the fighters that create his legacy, all fighter with height and reach that Steward helped in making sure they used.
divac is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 03:22 AM   #3
Prince.
24/7 365
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

bump

Was satisfying to see Emmauel's fights 'Mr Banks' pull off the upset against hypejob Mitchell. Emmauel is looking down at all his fighters. God Bless Him.
Prince. is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 04:44 AM   #4
recycling
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Emmanuel can suck it
recycling is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 04:48 AM   #5
treeve
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycling View Post
Emmanuel can suck it
MODS please ban the ass****
treeve is online now  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 04:52 AM   #6
AnthonyW
ESB Official Gif Poster
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 920

Quote:
Originally Posted by divac View Post
Lets recognize Steward as an exellent trainer, but lets be real, he had shortcomings as well. He did not work great with every fighter he trained.
Imo he was great at training and instructing fighters with height and reach. Hearns, Lewis, and Wladimir Klitchko are the fighters that create his legacy, all fighter with height and reach that Steward helped in making sure they used.
All trainers are like boxers, they have their strengths and their weaknesses. Like boxers, they play to their strengths.

Quote:
He did not work great with every fighter he trained.
Perfection does not exist. Not saying that your above statements were implying that this detracts from Emanuel Stewards legacy as a trainer, just offering my opinion on the matter. You would find it extremely hard to find a trainer who has unlimited success with his/her boxers, especially boxers with different styles, all types of height and weight.
AnthonyW is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 05:04 AM   #7
PowerBack
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 675

I have always considered Steward "The guru of the boxer-puncher" style....
He was truely great at creating gameplans that helped boxers win on their physical advantages...
PowerBack is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 06:06 AM   #8
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wott View Post
yeah, he was shit with Naseem Hamed. but respect anyway.
That's because Naz was a complete ****, and wouldn't listen to him.

Nobody could work with Naz, after he split from Brendan Ingle. Oscar Suarez couldn't do anything with him. He did what he wanted to do, when he wanted to do it.

There's an interview with Manny on youtube, and he talks about the problems he had with Naz, leading up to the Barrera fight.

He was cutting corners in the gym etc. Manny had sent a tape of Barrera over to Naz and his Brother Riath, to study until he joined them in camp. When Manny got there, he asked them what they thought of the tape. But they hadn't even bothered to watch it. Instead they were watching Barrera's defeats to Junior Jones. Manny was angry and said "That's not the Barrera you're going to be fighting Naz. That was 7 years ago!"

Only Naz would disrespect someone like Manny.

After the fight, Naz said "This is the path that Allah has chosen for me."

If Naz had listened to Manny, and trained as hard as he possibly could have, or if he'd have not been greedy and split with with Brendan, then things may have been very different.

Manny couldn't have done anymore with Naz, than what he did. You can't teach somebody something, that doesn't want to be taught.

Look at the fighters that Manny taught, and how much respect he had.

He taught fighters like Toney, The G-Man, Bernard Mays etc. All of those boxers had problems, but they all respected Manny.

There was only Naz that wouldn't listen to him.

It's not a coincidence. It just goes to show what an arrogant idiot Naz was.

Regards, Loudon.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 06:13 AM   #9
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyk View Post
He had a unique combination of three qualities:

He could recognize true physical talent. Most people think they can pick a talented guy out of a bunch but they couldn't do it like Steward.

He could recognize DESIRE in a fighter, and could help to instill it. Most trainers are clueless when it comes to truly instilling a lifelong desire.

He could cultivate and nurture the aforementioned talent and desire to create a masterpiece. His fighters really are creations in a sense, and the fact that you can RECOGNIZE a Steward fighter by his style speaks to his legacy.

For a trainer to have one of these qualities is special, for someone to have all three is truly remarkable. I don't know that a trainer will impact boxing as Steward has ever again, at least not for a very very long time.
Great post!

He was a life coach, as well as a boxing coach.

Regards, Loudon.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 07:23 AM   #10
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

he saw everything. One of the most intelligent trainers of all time. He put everything together and made great fighters.
MAG1965 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum