Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-21-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
Shrewd Operator
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default How come boxing hasn't progressed naturally over time the way the 100m has??

In every sport records are broken over time, someone taking over example, 100m record 100 yrs ago =11 secs, today 9.58 secs????

Why hasnt boxing? Or has it progressed, its just some people want you to believe in all the ''black and white fighters are better'' bullshit?????
Shrewd Operator is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
irishny
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: How come boxing hasn't progressed naturally over time the way the 100m has??

Its more the second reason than anything.

Theres people who still believe Jack Dempsey would stil compete in the modern era,when theres clear footage of the guy fighting and training where its as clear as day that he had the skills of a modern toughman competitor
irishny is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
Shrewd Operator
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: How come boxing hasn't progressed naturally over time the way the 100m has??

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishny View Post
Its more the second reason than anything.

Theres people who still believe Jack Dempsey would stil compete in the modern era,when theres clear footage of the guy fighting and training where its as clear as day that he had the skills of a modern toughman competitor

Jack Dempsey was good in his time but with all the physical advancements we have made since then he would simply get destroy by a Klitschko or a Lewis etc.
Shrewd Operator is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
chinachin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

It has, what are you talking about. Seen Pacquiao, Floyd and Ward?
chinachin is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Dempsey could absolutely compete at CW in the modern era.

Running in a straight line very fast is about as far from boxing as an activity as it is possible to get. Also,sprinting is only a character driven sport in the sense that commitment to training is crucial (not that crucial though, see Bolt). Boxing is character driven above all else. This is the most important aspect of boxing.

Some would suggest that humanity's character, generally, is declining.

Furthermore, this comparison doesn't take into consideration absolutely crucial components such as talent pool, the talent pool for boxing shrank dramatically post 1955ish. Boxing is famously known as a working class sport, and was always going to suffer dramatically in an era which enormously shrank the working class in favour of the middle class during the period in question.

Robinson, Pep, Charles, Louis were all active at the same time and boxing absolutely has not progressed since that time and in certain aspects of technique has quite clearly regressed.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
mishima
Contender
ESB Senior Member

it's less competitive now
mishima is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
irishny
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewd Operator View Post
Jack Dempsey was good in his time but with all the physical advancements we have made since then he would simply get destroy by a Klitschko or a Lewis etc.
It wasnt just the physical disadvantages he had.

He wouldnt beat the good modern light heavys either.

HIS.SKILLS.WERE.SHOCKINGLY.BAD.

You think THIS guy, could beat beat the top modern light heavys? Let alone cruisers?
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Some people dont want to admit it.

With all that being said, I dont like comparing fighters of different eras directly.

Thats why id still consider Dempsey an ATG becaus eof what he did in HIS era
irishny is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Someone like Ray Arcel, one of the most knowledgable persons in boxing ever, would disagree with you.

The fact is, outside of fans on internet forums, i've never - never - seen anyone run Demspey's skills down. Mike Tyson, Ray Arcel, Angelo Dundee, they think he's a fantastic boxer - guys like you think he had SHOCKINGLY BAD SKILLS. Even if I didn't have the faith in my own judgement that I do, there is no way I could take you seriously.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #9
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2137

Quote:
It wasnt just the physical disadvantages he had.

He wouldnt beat the good modern light heavys either.

With all that being said, I dont like comparing fighters of different eras directly.

Thats why id still consider Dempsey an ATG becaus eof what he did in HIS era
I partly agree with the bolded part. Dempsey and others of his era were somewhat crude and primitive, but what about fighters from say, the 30's onwards?

Do you think boxing has evolved beyond what a Joe Louis or Ray Robinson were doing?
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #10
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2137

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Someone like Ray Arcel, one of the most knowledgable persons in boxing ever, would disagree with you.

The fact is, outside of fans on internet forums, i've never - never - seen anyone run Demspey's skills down. Mike Tyson, Ray Arcel, Angelo Dundee, they think he's a fantastic boxer - guys like you think he had SHOCKINGLY BAD SKILLS. Even if I didn't have the faith in my own judgement that I do, there is no way I could take you seriously.
In fairness though, Dempsey does look crude at times, particularly against Willard and Firpo.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #11
irishny
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post

LOOK
AT
HIM!!!!

irishny is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #12
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury View Post
I partly agree with the bolded part. Dempsey and others of his era were somewhat crude and primitive, but what about fighters from say, the 30's onwards?
Would you say that Gene Tunney was "crude and primitive"? Do you consider him a part of the Dempsey era? How about Tommy Gibbons? I would say Jack Sharkey looks the equal of any 200lb man that boxed in the 1930's from a purely technical perspective, but you would see him as crude and primitive?
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #13
Collie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 14000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewd Operator View Post
You just answered your own question.
Collie is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #14
BENNY BLANCO
R.I.P. Brooklyn1550
East Side Guru

Eric Esch KO1 Jack Dempsey
BENNY BLANCO is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #15
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
LOOK
AT
HIM!!!!

Yeah, I've seen him, loads. He looks more like Floyd Patterson than any other HW to me.
McGrain is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum