Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #46
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada!!!!
Posts: 2,215
vCash: 500
Default Re: Hagler vs Leonard - Who had the advantage?

has duran gotten his deserved mention yet?
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #47
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada!!!!
Posts: 2,215
vCash: 500
Default Re: Hagler vs Leonard - Who had the advantage?

never mind, just saw that duranimal has posted
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #48
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bournemouth, England
Posts: 4,209
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hagler vs Leonard - Who had the advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
has duran gotten his deserved mention yet?
I'll do it

DURAN had Haglers number & proved it

DURAN brought out all of Marvins "Chip on the Shoulder" insecurities, inferiotity complex ect, Marvin reminds me of a lottery winner that moves to an upmarket neighbourhood & feels intimidated by his surroundings & thats how he felt against established Superstars in Duran & Leonard
duranimal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #49
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Dallas,Texas.
Posts: 17,399
vCash: 1010
Default Re: Hagler vs Leonard - Who had the advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duranimal View Post
I'll do it

DURAN had Haglers number & proved it

DURAN brought out all of Marvins "Chip on the Shoulder" insecurities, inferiotity complex ect, Marvin reminds me of a lottery winner that moves to an upmarket neighbourhood & feels intimidated by his surroundings & thats how he felt against established Superstars in Duran & Leonard
Duran had Hagler's number and proved it? If that were the case he would have won. Certainly that is what having someone's number is all about.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #50
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,356
vCash: 75
Default Re: Hagler vs Leonard - Who had the advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
has duran gotten his deserved mention yet?
Well, he did what Hearns, Hagler and Benitez couldn't.

Only guys to last the distance with Marvin over his reign were an old butterball 25 lbs north of his best weight and a natural 147lber who had one fight in the previous five years in which he was dropped and generally looked shit.

SRL may be a cunt, but who seriously changes their legal name to 'Marvelous' aside from a wildly insecure twat? Must kill 'em Leonard got dubbed by his alias without taking such measures -- and it wasn't even his moniker.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #51
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,356
vCash: 75
Default Re: Hagler vs Leonard - Who had the advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
Duran had Hagler's number and proved it? If that were the case he would have won. Certainly that is what having someone's number is all about.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #52
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Dallas,Texas.
Posts: 17,399
vCash: 1010
Default Re: Hagler vs Leonard - Who had the advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
Well, he did what Hearns, Hagler and Benitez couldn't.

Only guys to last the distance with Marvin over his reign were an old butterball 25 lbs north of his best weight and a natural 147lber who had one fight in the previous five years in which he was dropped and generally looked shit.

SRL may be a cunt, but who seriously changes their legal name to 'Marvelous' aside from a wildly insecure twat? Must kill 'em Leonard got dubbed by his alias without taking such measures -- and it wasn't even his moniker.
Going 15 with Marvin was Marvin's doing not Durans. Marvin won and won easily. He just pored it on the end of the fight and won a decision.
The reality is Duran lost to Hagler when Duran was 32. And he lost easily to Benitez a fight which Duran fans rarely mention. Benitez started out at 140 and was a naturally smaller man than Duran and he outboxed Duran easily when Duran was only 30. And then Hearns knocked out Duran in 2 in a onesided fight when Duran was 32. And Leonard outboxed Duran in the 2nd and 3rd fights. Duran lost to all the legends he is linked to.
I agree Marvin was insecure, and Tommy Hearns should not have gotten him mad and unleashed the brawling Marvin, but it made for a classic fight which will be remembered and has become Hagler's legacy.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #53
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,095
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hagler vs Leonard - Who had the advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PityTheFool View Post

What have I been saying all along mate?
Sweetest of all.

I'm not going to try and top some of the superb posts here,but given the significance of this bout,rarely will you see such an anticipated match up where one fighter has the odds stacked against him as much as Ray did here.
If anyone wasn't around,it's hard to articulate just how fearsome Hagler was perceived as at the time.
This would be like Calzaghe or even Pavlik (if it was his first fight back)coming back and beating Ward.I'm not for a second comparing them ability wise but Hagler was dominant the same way Ward is now and it would be very hard to make a case for Calzaghe winning.The similarity comes in Ward being out on his own the way Marvin was having seen everyone off.
There was not much of a case for Ray winning,and even as a young fan I feared the worst.


let's stop the exaggeration. If Sugar wanted Hagler, he wouldve done it when it counted. This was a matchup years too late.

82-83, no later than 84


but 1987 was way too late as Hagler was departing the scene, and Sugar wanted to make sure he caught the leftovers
redrooster is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #54
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bournemouth, England
Posts: 4,209
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hagler vs Leonard - Who had the advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
Duran had Hagler's number and proved it? If that were the case he would have won. Certainly that is what having someone's number is all about.
He did win, in more ways than one You Duran haters are just pig sick that he had the balls to go jump into the ring with a prime Hagler one year after being declared all washed up

Where was your love-pillow SRL, OH YEH! Thats right! He called a press conference to publicly bail out of the Hagler fight in 82 & Tommy broke his pinky finger! DURAN stepped up whilst other coniving feinthearts fled from the opportunity to face a PRIME Hagler
duranimal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #55
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Dallas,Texas.
Posts: 17,399
vCash: 1010
Default Re: Hagler vs Leonard - Who had the advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
if he won the fight I would agree with dealing with it. But he loses to Hagler and had his number. Next you guys are going to say he had Hearns number.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #56
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Dallas,Texas.
Posts: 17,399
vCash: 1010
Default Re: Hagler vs Leonard - Who had the advantage?

[quote=Hands of Iron;14248906]And the fact that Ray beat him the 2 times after the first fight proves everything.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #57
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Dallas,Texas.
Posts: 17,399
vCash: 1010
Default Re: Hagler vs Leonard - Who had the advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duranimal View Post
He did win, in more ways than one You Duran haters are just pig sick that he had the balls to go jump into the ring with a prime Hagler one year after being declared all washed up

Where was your love-pillow SRL, OH YEH! Thats right! He called a press conference to publicly bail out of the Hagler fight in 82 & Tommy broke his pinky finger! DURAN stepped up whilst other coniving feinthearts fled from the opportunity to face a PRIME Hagler
regardless of having the balls to jump into the ring with Hagler, he still lost to him. That is not having someone's number. Hamsho had the balls to fight Hagler two times and lost two times.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #58
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bournemouth, England
Posts: 4,209
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hagler vs Leonard - Who had the advantage?

[quote=MAG1965;14248939]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
And the fact that Ray beat him the 2 times after the first fight proves everything.
Duran beat Leonard when it mattered & outboxed & beat the cunt up in fine style
duranimal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #59
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bournemouth, England
Posts: 4,209
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hagler vs Leonard - Who had the advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
regardless of having the balls to jump into the ring with Hagler, he still lost to him. That is not having someone's number. Hamsho had the balls to fight Hagler two times and lost two times.
Duran made Hagler look mortal
duranimal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #60
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Dallas,Texas.
Posts: 17,399
vCash: 1010
Default Re: Hagler vs Leonard - Who had the advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duranimal View Post
He did win, in more ways than one You Duran haters are just pig sick that he had the balls to go jump into the ring with a prime Hagler one year after being declared all washed up

Where was your love-pillow SRL, OH YEH! Thats right! He called a press conference to publicly bail out of the Hagler fight in 82 & Tommy broke his pinky finger! DURAN stepped up whilst other coniving feinthearts fled from the opportunity to face a PRIME Hagler
Hagler was a hypocrit for saying Tommy should have cut off his baby pinky for 2 million dollars. Marvin could have moved up and fought Michael Spinks, who challenged him and Marvin never wanted it, yet he wanted everyone to move up and fight him. Who wouldn't?

As for Tommy and his pinky, Hearns won the 154 pound title from Benitez in Dec. that fight was scheduled for May of 1982. Hearns was rushing to middleweight from welt. Duran didn't do that, so why would Hearns, and like I said many times before Duran fought at 154 as early as 1978.. before Hearns,Benitez or Leonard ever did. Tommy getting a belt at 154 was more natural. He wanted a belt fast and was willing to fight Marvin early, then he figured he would fight Benitez at a lower weight.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013