Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #181
UnleashtheFURY
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,578
vCash: 118
Default Re: Macho Camacho In GRAVE condition, Just SHOT IN PUERTO RICO!

Yeah I agree, I think he had this coming due to his crazy lifestyle. Probably wasn't a random act of violence and being in the wrong place at the wrong time like what happened to Sanders a few months ago. Still sucks..
UnleashtheFURY is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #182
Twisted_Metal
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 389
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Macho Camacho In GRAVE condition, Just SHOT IN PUERTO RICO!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Hector "Macho" Camacho, a former three-division champion, was shot and seriously wounded in his native Puerto Rico on Tuesday, leaving the boxing showman fighting for his life, according to police and media reports.

Reports from the scene said Camacho was in critical condition late Tuesday after being shot in the neck and face while seated in a Ford Mustang outside a bar in his hometown of Bayamon.

Another man in the car was killed, according to Associated Press. A motive in the attack was unknown, officials said.

UPDATE: Camacho could be taken off life support

Camacho, 50, had 88 pro bouts, going 79-6-3 against a who's who of legendary opponents stretching from Ray Mancini (whom he defeated in 1989) to Oscar De La Hoya (who beat him by decision in 1997).

"My heart and prayers go out to him and his family," De La Hoya said Tuesday. "I really do hope he makes it out OK."

Known for long, outlandish trunks sometimes decorated by tassles, Camacho also displayed theatrics in the ring while facing the likes of Freddie Roach, Cornelius Boza Edwards, Felix Trinidad, Roberto Duran and Julio Cesar Chavez Sr.

"When he was young, you couldn't hit him, that's why he won his first 50 fights," veteran boxing publicist Bill Caplan said.

Yet, when Camacho suffered his first loss in a 1991 World Boxing Organization lightweight title bout against Greg Haugen at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, his true nature shined.

"You'd think the guy would be devastated, but 15 minutes after the loss, he was back in press row for the second fight of the HBO doubleheader, shaking everyone's hands," Caplan said. "Just a happy-go-lucky guy who loved people."

Camacho's toughness was unmistakable, however, especially on the 1992 evening when a sold-out Las Vegas fight crowd watched Chavez Sr. pummel him with body shots en route to a unanimous decision. Camacho refused to let his corner throw in the towel.

His love of the sport was evident both in his desire to entertain beyond fisticuffs, and instances like his 1995 fight in the Olympic Auditorium in Los Angeles.

Promoter Don Chargin recalled main-event fighter Camacho showing up with his hands wrapped, in a robe and colorful trunks, to sit alongside off-night fighters and managers in complementary seats to watch preliminary matches 90 minutes before his own bout against Tony Rodriguez.

"He just wanted to be with people," Caplan said.

Chargin also recalled that after Camacho beat Roach -- now Manny Pacquiao's famed trainer -- in a 1985 bout at Sacramento's Arco Arena, the fighter told Chargin to hold his $50,000 purse because "I don’t need it now. When I do, I’ll call and ask you for it."

One year later, he said, Camacho phoned him for the money.

"I've met fighters who were characters," Caplan said. "He was one of a kind."
Twisted_Metal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #183
jeffjoiner
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Trying to make a dollar
Posts: 9,603
vCash: 5174
Default Re: Macho Camacho In GRAVE condition, Just SHOT IN PUERTO RICO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted_Metal View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Hector "Macho" Camacho, a former three-division champion, was shot and seriously wounded in his native Puerto Rico on Tuesday, leaving the boxing showman fighting for his life, according to police and media reports.

Reports from the scene said Camacho was in critical condition late Tuesday after being shot in the neck and face while seated in a Ford Mustang outside a bar in his hometown of Bayamon.

Another man in the car was killed, according to Associated Press. A motive in the attack was unknown, officials said.

UPDATE: Camacho could be taken off life support

Camacho, 50, had 88 pro bouts, going 79-6-3 against a who's who of legendary opponents stretching from Ray Mancini (whom he defeated in 1989) to Oscar De La Hoya (who beat him by decision in 1997).

"My heart and prayers go out to him and his family," De La Hoya said Tuesday. "I really do hope he makes it out OK."

Known for long, outlandish trunks sometimes decorated by tassles, Camacho also displayed theatrics in the ring while facing the likes of Freddie Roach, Cornelius Boza Edwards, Felix Trinidad, Roberto Duran and Julio Cesar Chavez Sr.

"When he was young, you couldn't hit him, that's why he won his first 50 fights," veteran boxing publicist Bill Caplan said.

Yet, when Camacho suffered his first loss in a 1991 World Boxing Organization lightweight title bout against Greg Haugen at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, his true nature shined.

"You'd think the guy would be devastated, but 15 minutes after the loss, he was back in press row for the second fight of the HBO doubleheader, shaking everyone's hands," Caplan said. "Just a happy-go-lucky guy who loved people."

Camacho's toughness was unmistakable, however, especially on the 1992 evening when a sold-out Las Vegas fight crowd watched Chavez Sr. pummel him with body shots en route to a unanimous decision. Camacho refused to let his corner throw in the towel.

His love of the sport was evident both in his desire to entertain beyond fisticuffs, and instances like his 1995 fight in the Olympic Auditorium in Los Angeles.

Promoter Don Chargin recalled main-event fighter Camacho showing up with his hands wrapped, in a robe and colorful trunks, to sit alongside off-night fighters and managers in complementary seats to watch preliminary matches 90 minutes before his own bout against Tony Rodriguez.

"He just wanted to be with people," Caplan said.

Chargin also recalled that after Camacho beat Roach -- now Manny Pacquiao's famed trainer -- in a 1985 bout at Sacramento's Arco Arena, the fighter told Chargin to hold his $50,000 purse because "I don’t need it now. When I do, I’ll call and ask you for it."

One year later, he said, Camacho phoned him for the money.

"I've met fighters who were characters," Caplan said. "He was one of a kind."
He definitely had his moments. Sadly, the one fight he couldn't win was with himself.

Camacho provided the sporting public with a lot of great memories. Unfortunately, he is now serving as another cautionary tale.

If you have substance abuse problems or know somebody who does, make sure to get help rather than walk down some of his paths.
jeffjoiner is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #184
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Poorer place without Johnny Tapia
Posts: 9,602
vCash: 75
Default Re: Macho Camacho In GRAVE condition, Just SHOT IN PUERTO RICO!

I suspect Hector's already told the devil to step the **** out of his way and asked him what the **** he's lookin at.
Macho all the way through the gates of hell.
Another tragic loss for boxing in 2012.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #185
billy boy balbo
newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: scotland
Posts: 0
vCash: 75
Default Re: Macho Camacho In GRAVE condition, Just SHOT IN PUERTO RICO!

****ing gutted,i really am
billy boy balbo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #186
LoRd_inFamousX1
Lord of the Square Rings
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MGM Grand
Posts: 1,807
vCash: 100
Default Re: Macho Camacho In GRAVE condition, Just SHOT IN PUERTO RICO!

He is brain dead and they might pull the plug.
LoRd_inFamousX1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #187
Boxing Fanatic
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dominican Republic
Posts: 24,111
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Macho Camacho In GRAVE condition, Just SHOT IN PUERTO RICO!

the guy was faster than a speeding bullet. in his prime, u couldnt touch him
Boxing Fanatic is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #188
iceman71
WBC SILVER Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: the DIRTY SOUTH
Posts: 24,390
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Macho Camacho In GRAVE condition, Just SHOT IN PUERTO RICO!

he is still on life support . his mom is supposed to make a decision whether to take him off by tonight. he has no activity in his brain. once taken off life support, he will be officially gone soon after.
i wish people wouldnt post that he is dead and start with their RIP shit because they heard he was already dead.
iceman71 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #189
Peppermint
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,409
vCash: 500
Default Re: Macho Camacho In GRAVE condition, Just SHOT IN PUERTO RICO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman71 View Post
he is still on life support . his mom is supposed to make a decision whether to take him off by tonight. he has no activity in his brain. once taken off life support, he will be officially gone soon after.
i wish people wouldnt post that he is dead and start with their RIP shit because they heard he was already dead.
Yeah its very angering when people do that. I does seem that his brain activity is very low, I read that most of the brain damage was from today during the time he went into cardiac arrest. Either way there is no good outcome when his brain is this damaged. Its upsetting though to see a lot of people posting RIP messages during a time when his brain was intact and the prognosis looked a lot better. The negative energy doesnt help anyone.
Peppermint is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #190
BoxingFan2010
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary.Alberta.Canada
Posts: 3,029
vCash: 2217
Default Hector 'Macho' Camacho Update: Latest News on Former Boxing Star's Status

Hector 'Macho' Camacho Update: Latest News on Former Boxing Star's Status

***Mod edit***

No positing articles in the forum. This is your first warning.
BoxingFan2010 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #191
Abdullah
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,131
vCash: 500
Default Re: Hector 'Macho' Camacho Update: Latest News on Former Boxing Star's Status

Update: Hector "Macho" Camacho has been declared "brain dead". It is likely only a matter of time before they remove him from life support. What a tragedy.
Abdullah is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #192
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 14,721
vCash: 121
Default Re: Hector 'Macho' Camacho Update: Latest News on Former Boxing Star's Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah View Post
Update: Hector "Macho" Camacho has been declared "brain dead". It is likely only a matter of time before they remove him from life support. What a tragedy.
Damn, RIP!!! Dead at 50? How sad.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #193
Mr. Sandman
27-2 (21 KO)
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 636
vCash: 75
Default Re: Hector 'Macho' Camacho Update: Latest News on Former Boxing Star's Status

Here's hoping he can find some peace
Mr. Sandman is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #194
jeffjoiner
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Trying to make a dollar
Posts: 9,603
vCash: 5174
Default Re: Hector 'Macho' Camacho Update: Latest News on Former Boxing Star's Status

He burned through a lot of living in those 50 years.

Huge condolences to his family. That is not a decision any mom should ever have to make.
jeffjoiner is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #195
Boxing Fanatic
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dominican Republic
Posts: 24,111
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hector 'Macho' Camacho Update: Latest News on Former Boxing Star's Status

he lived hard and he played hard. guys like him dont last long. they live life literally.
Boxing Fanatic is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013