Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
Michael300
Fighting back.....
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Up and about
Posts: 1,656
vCash: 500
Unhappy Worst media coverage EVER for a 'big' fight?!!

Although Ricky Hatton has his detractors nobody can deny that tonights fight is not a big event in boxing.

It is possibly the biggest event domestically this year.

However, I have never seen a major fight with so little media covergae.

There is nothing on the BBC sports headlines (online), the weigh-in was not mentioned yesterday either.

There has been next to nothing on terrestrial at all.

I have not seen a sinlge advert for the fight (apart from online and in Boxing News).

It is a bad day when a fight featuring an ex-cricketer gets significantly more coverage than a fight with Ricky Hatton.

I find the whole thing bloody depressing.
Michael300 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
Lazarus
Realist
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, UK
Posts: 14,972
vCash: 238
Default Re: Worst media coverage EVER for a 'big' fight?!!

Not at all. Everyone's getting that impression just because he's not on Sky. Well, tell me how much hype Froch-Mack recieved.

Hatton's fight is still getting 10x more than that, and the event clearly is big because his name has trended top on Twitter a fair few times this week, so it's obviously talked about.
Lazarus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mutantville, North Carolina
Posts: 9,281
vCash: 157
Default Re: Worst media coverage EVER for a 'big' fight?!!

I was noticing the lack of coverage myself. In the States no one even knows about Hatton's return. If it weren't for ESB I might have forgotten about it. I just hope Ricky hasn't bitten off more than he can chew for his return fight. Coming back at age 34 when boxers with his style are normally at the end of his career - is a big risk. I hope he passes with flying blue moon colors.
sugarngold is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,323
vCash: 75
Default Re: Worst media coverage EVER for a 'big' fight?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael300 View Post
I find the whole thing bloody depressing.
Don't worry, it's not the end of the world. I'm sure Hatton doesn't care either when the money comes in at the end of the day.

It must be a big fight because Laz has made a buildup thread on it. All the publicity needed
JFT96 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #5
venusdiablo
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,223
vCash: 75
Default Re: Worst media coverage EVER for a 'big' fight?!!

There have been a ton of coverage in the papers for weeks, he was on bbc breakfast this morning and all across the radio for the past two days, he was on sky sports news earlier, the featured it on ringside on thursday - there has been a ton of media coverage
venusdiablo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
Lazarus
Realist
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, UK
Posts: 14,972
vCash: 238
Default Re: Worst media coverage EVER for a 'big' fight?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFT96 View Post
Don't worry, it's not the end of the world. I'm sure Hatton doesn't care either when the money comes in at the end of the day.

It must be a big fight because Laz has made a buildup thread on it. All the publicity needed
Lazarus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
Michael300
Fighting back.....
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Up and about
Posts: 1,656
vCash: 500
Default Re: Worst media coverage EVER for a 'big' fight?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Not at all. Everyone's getting that impression just because he's not on Sky. Well, tell me how much hype Froch-Mack recieved.

Hatton's fight is still getting 10x more than that, and the event clearly is big because his name has trended top on Twitter a fair few times this week, so it's obviously talked about.
I think you're right that Sky would be a difference.

With regards to 'everyone getting that impression', surely thats what its about?

My point is about peoples perceptions, word of mouth etc.

I agree that Froch Mack didn't get huge amount of publicity, but I think part of that was becasue Sky were well aware of the quality of the opposition.

I think they will be different with a Kessler fight.

Also as much as I like Froch, he is not Hatton.

Hatton is far more of a household name, and although that doesn't mean he is better it does generate far more interest.

Twitter means nothing to alot of people, its no real way to guage public interest.

Bottom line is that this fight has not been publicised properly.

I think that is a real shame and it is a missed opportunity for boxing IMO.
Michael300 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
Lazarus
Realist
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, UK
Posts: 14,972
vCash: 238
Default Re: Worst media coverage EVER for a 'big' fight?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael300 View Post
I think you're right that Sky would be a difference.

With regards to 'everyone getting that impression', surely thats what its about?

My point is about peoples perceptions, word of mouth etc.

I agree that Froch Mack didn't get huge amount of publicity, but I think part of that was becasue Sky were well aware of the quality of the opposition.

I think they will be different with a Kessler fight.

Also as much as I like Froch, he is not Hatton.

Hatton is far more of a household name, and although that doesn't mean he is better it does generate far more interest.

Twitter means nothing to alot of people, its no real way to guage public interest.

Bottom line is that this fight has not been publicised properly.

I think that is a real shame and it is a missed opportunity for boxing IMO.
Not sure about word of mouth. Not seen many people generally speak of it, but at the same time, I've not seen people talk about other big fights.

I think Twitter is, actually. It's a smart way of knowing that people are mentioning Hatton. Just the Internet way of 'word of mouth' on him. I think we can also put this down to the opponent.

Remember, he was fighting Mayweather and Pacquiao in the fights which you probably remember a substantial amount of hype for, and rightly so. Senchenko is an unknown so there isn't all so much for people to talk about because there's not much significance to the fight.
Lazarus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #9
Michael300
Fighting back.....
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Up and about
Posts: 1,656
vCash: 500
Default Re: Worst media coverage EVER for a 'big' fight?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFT96 View Post
Don't worry, it's not the end of the world. I'm sure Hatton doesn't care either when the money comes in at the end of the day.

It must be a big fight because Laz has made a buildup thread on it. All the publicity needed


Quote:
Originally Posted by venusdiablo View Post
There have been a ton of coverage in the papers for weeks, he was on bbc breakfast this morning and all across the radio for the past two days, he was on sky sports news earlier, the featured it on ringside on thursday - there has been a ton of media coverage
I just don't agree venus.

I do agree that there has been a bit more in the papers the last few days and the piece on Ringside was very good; I was genuinely impressed how they bigged the card up considering they weren't showing it themselves.

I'm not criticising the event; the card is superb, probably one of the best this year.

I also like the team that Primetime have put together, some of my favourite pundits and commentators.

I just think that a comeback by Hatton, one of the most popular boxers this country has ever produced, is a huge event for the sport (domestically at least) but it does not feel like it at all.

I know so many peple that didn't know the fight was on this weekend, I even know a fair few who had no idea Ricky had even come out of retirement!

I'm not talking non-sport fans here, I'm talking blokes who like sport, football generally but also with a passing interest in boxing; certainly people who have watched Hatton fight before and would like to watch him again.

I just think it that after the summer we had in the olympics and with other events the sport is doing well at the moment, tonights fight should have been publicised and promoted far more than it has been IMO.
Michael300 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:03 AM   #10
Michael300
Fighting back.....
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Up and about
Posts: 1,656
vCash: 500
Default Re: Worst media coverage EVER for a 'big' fight?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Not sure about word of mouth. Not seen many people generally speak of it, but at the same time, I've not seen people talk about other big fights.

I think Twitter is, actually. It's a smart way of knowing that people are mentioning Hatton. Just the Internet way of 'word of mouth' on him. I think we can also put this down to the opponent.

Remember, he was fighting Mayweather and Pacquiao in the fights which you probably remember a substantial amount of hype for, and rightly so. Senchenko is an unknown so there isn't all so much for people to talk about because there's not much significance to the fight.
I agree about the opponent; although boxing fans know that he is a good opponent, better than many thought Hatton would face, he is still an unknown name to the general public.

However I think you could have put Hatton in against a tomato can and the fight would have sold out, certainly with the great undercard.

I think part of the problem is that the sports popularity has changed even in the three years Hatton has been gone.

I think the problem is that although Primetime have got together a great team for the show and the card is excellent, the lack of publicity they can provide has almost certainly hampered this promotion.
Michael300 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #11
BoxingObserver
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 206
vCash: 500
Default Re: Worst media coverage EVER for a 'big' fight?!!

Completely off the mark people. Hattons comeback is big. It is on Showtime in the US and has been getting good coverage over the last few weeks. Hatton had a documentary which aired on Channel 5 Thur/Fri night, SKY sports news had the weigh-in, the Metro, Sun, Mirror, Express, Mail, Guardian, Observer and Independent have all run pieces on the fight.

Its big!
BoxingObserver is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #12
Michael300
Fighting back.....
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Up and about
Posts: 1,656
vCash: 500
Default Re: Worst media coverage EVER for a 'big' fight?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingObserver View Post
Completely off the mark people. Hattons comeback is big. It is on Showtime in the US and has been getting good coverage over the last few weeks. Hatton had a documentary which aired on Channel 5 Thur/Fri night, SKY sports news had the weigh-in, the Metro, Sun, Mirror, Express, Mail, Guardian, Observer and Independent have all run pieces on the fight.

Its big!
Well if you say that I must be wrong then!

I'm not stating any facts just my opinion really and I just don't feel that this fight has had the amount of interest generated as I would expect.

I hope I'm wrong, I just want the sport to be a success.

I suppose the viewing figures from Primetime will give some idea when its all finished
Michael300 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #13
chatty
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sunderland
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 1419
Default Re: Worst media coverage EVER for a 'big' fight?!!

They sold out to Primetime who haven't a clue how to advertise a fight. They'll still do good numbers but if it were on Sky or even Boxnation I reckon it would have done at least a good 1/2 as many. Doubt they care care much because its all about the money.
chatty is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:51 AM   #14
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: England
Posts: 11,319
vCash: 15000
Default Re: Worst media coverage EVER for a 'big' fight?!!

It's not been as badly promoted as some of Fury's fights on Channel 5 but it's definitely been under promoted. This should have been one of the biggest events in recent British boxing history, so whilst the promotion hasn't been that bad, it's fell a long way short of what you'd expect.
Jack is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #15
chatty
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sunderland
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 1419
Default Re: Worst media coverage EVER for a 'big' fight?!!

Its not the amount of media coverage that is the problem, its the fact that when it has gotten any coverage it seems as though no one gives a toss about it. They should have been bigging it up as the return of one of Britains finest modern boxers but instead they turned it into a daytime sob story that you usually see on Loose Women.

This is boxing though, it should have been G'd right up but the promoting has lacked imagination.
chatty is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013