boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-21-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
Primenal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Personal eye dominance effect stance?

Not sure if anybody has any info about this, but one of my boxing instructors from a while back was southpaw. He was right handed, and his reasoning was something to do with your right eye being quicker. See punches come faster, reaction time, etc. I had somebody ask me something today about stances so I thought I'd look it up.
Turns out my right eye is the dominant eye... You can look up on the net how to test which ones yours is. Does this really matter at all? He was a damn good fighter, but he was a bit crazy so I dunno if it matters.
I know like 80% of your punches come from lead hand, but understand this logic, but just wanted to know if reaction time was different based on which eye is closer to the strikes.
Primenal is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
NVSemin
Sugar Boxing
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Personal eye dominance effect stance?

Reaction on punches comes more from experience, when you anticipate things coming, also serious fighters do head movements all the time (watch Lomachenko, Sugar Ray Leonard for instance). Of course you can improve reaction time to a certain extent, but generally better not rely on it, unless you are naturally gifted as Roy Jones or Ali. Going back to your question - never heard of such issue left vs right eye. I guess, you can test it. Try sparring for a week like your coach suggests, feel if it makes any difference.
NVSemin is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1947

S**** will love this topic
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsm View Post
S**** will love this topic
, Its a great Topic.Eyes dont go direct to the CNS. They are our slowest response, and the Shortest memory of all the Senses,, 1/6th of a second. Two eyes left and right, dont see the same focus. Dominant Eye sees movement, lesser Eye determines Distance. usually the Eye is the main Player in your Dominant Side, preferred side. Someone who has perfect Vision, is Special they are one in 33,000,000, Rare. Wouldnt be without mine, having said that . one thing to mention, eyes cause 95% of injuries that come our way, all through having a Dominant Side, The *******s
scrap is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing