Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-03-2008, 02:20 AM   #1
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Duran vs Cuevas 1978.

We all know how their fight turned out in 1983 when Duran whipped him in a one-sided beating but whilst it was a great display by Roberto (very underrated performance by Duran imo) Cuevas was a shell of the fighter that terrorised the Welters in the 70's.

It got me wondering how a fight between the two would've went 5 years earlier.If Duran had of jumped straight from 135 to fight the beast that was Cuevas then.Cuevas was coming off twin blow-outs of Billy Backus and Pete Ranzany in 78 and had an aura of invincibilty and an arrogance that he would destroy whoever was in front of him.

Pipino was crude but he was enormously powerful and aggressive and his self-belief had yet to be destroyed by Hearns.

Would this make for a different fight or would his style play right into the master fighter Duran's hands?

Would Duran be as strong at Welter in 1978 as he was in 1980 and would meeting a fighter not the least bit intimidated by him discourage him in any way?

Would the result be any different or would Duran be always too good for Cuevas?

What do you think?
young griffo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2008, 03:07 AM   #2
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Duran vs Cuevas 1978.

1978..... It would be a crash course at WW for Roberto. He would not be intimidated by Pipino, and would almost pull it off, given his technical abilities. However, I think Duran would come up just short and lose by close decision. Since his body hasn't had proper time to adjust to the extra weight, Duran won't be as crisp and would probably tire late.

Last edited by laxpdx; 11-03-2008 at 03:29 AM.
laxpdx is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2008, 03:31 AM   #3
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

If ever a fight happened too late, it was this one.

By the time they actually fought, Duran was much slower, and Cuevas' chin was gone. It was sorta like the Chavez-Taylor rematch. Still, they made a good fight out of it, but not on the level that it would've been a few years earlier IMO.

Regardless, I do believe Duran takes this as well. I think his speed and class would come through in the end.

Duran by decision or late-round TKO.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Pipino would win on a SD 15, in a helluva fight which would see Duran hit the canvas at some point.
Titan1 is online now  Top
Old 12-26-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Duran's skillset was just too much at any time IMO. He would read Cuevas like a book and eventually chop the man down. Duran was electric vs such a style, ELECTRIC. Cuevas' danger was all coming from one hand, not enough.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2008, 07:50 PM   #6
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Took Duran 2-1/2 years to be ready for Leonard ... though he did beat Carlos Palomino on the way up.

A jump straight from Lightweight Champ to go against Cuevas in a Latin WW Shootout might be too much to ask.

I go with a close Cuevas decision.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2008, 08:06 PM   #7
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhhorn71 View Post
Took Duran 2-1/2 years to be ready for Leonard ... though he did beat Carlos Palomino on the way up.

A jump straight from Lightweight Champ to go against Cuevas in a Latin WW Shootout might be too much to ask.

I go with a close Cuevas decision.
I still think Duran could take him with a straight jump up. The only possible expection would be not having the benefit of growing into the weight like he did to a certain degree for the Leonard fight. I don't think Duran was a full fledged welterweight in Montreal. But no question the two year span in the division prior to facing Leonard helped him.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2008, 09:34 PM   #8
markedwardscott
Contender
ESB Senior Member

A lot closer, but Duran by UD
markedwardscott is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2008, 09:35 PM   #9
Xplosive
Champion
East Side Guru

Same result, just later. Cuevas quite simply was not on Duran's level. Duran TKO 8.
Xplosive is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2008, 09:46 PM   #10
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'll take Duran by late stoppage. Palomino couldn't hit Duran much, I just can't see Cuevas hitting him much either. Duran would be a little cautious but he would've been so much quicker than Cuevas and would have dominated him when he got inside.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2008, 12:14 AM   #11
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Mexican vs Mexican? I know Duran's half but I also know how he hates Mexicans so dont ever call him one.

As long as he can carry the weight without slowing him down like we saw in the Benitez fight I'll take Duran on points. Anything less than peak condition-if he's too slow or fights in lethargic fashion, I'm going with Cuevas to outwork him because he's the stronger fighter.
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2008, 01:01 PM   #12
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by natonic View Post
I'll take Duran by late stoppage. Palomino couldn't hit Duran much, I just can't see Cuevas hitting him much either. Duran would be a little cautious but he would've been so much quicker than Cuevas and would have dominated him when he got inside.
In a Latin Superfight like this, The blood will be pumping and both fighters would be toe to toe. As in the actual fight. Cuevas did land his power shots & Duran took them and powered inside to cause major damage. However Duran would not disregard Cuevas' power in 1978. The 1983 version was a far cry from a prime Cuevas. His power & chin were by then suspect. In 1978 Cuevas could withstand powerpunches & deliver crushing shots of his own. If Duran wanted to trade in that fashon he very well could get caught. Duran could not withstand a direct powershot from Thomas Hearns & Cuevas hit harder still. A smart Duran strategy would be to box & throw hard combinations & get out of there. His boxing ability,speed & ring generalship should have him accomplish that. But in a fight like this Duran would want to go out and destroy Cuevas & would play into Cuevas' best chance at victory.
la-califa is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2008, 03:18 PM   #13
True Writer
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Duran still wins this in a similar fashion, only its a better fight.
True Writer is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2008, 06:09 PM   #14
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Same result, Duran was just a higher calibre fighter
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2008, 08:42 PM   #15
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Same result, Duran was just a higher calibre fighter
Pretty much. It might be a TAD more competitive obliviously in his prime but it probably isn't enough to stop Duran. The best chance for Cuevas would be for Duran to tire in the later rounds and then score a KO but I don't see that happening.
Arriba is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum