Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
OMGWTF
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 535
Default Why dont snappy punches make for superior body shots like they do head shots?

Ok a snappy punch is traveling faster, and shakes the brain more violently than a "strong thudding punch" and thats why its superior when it comes to knocking people out. Great examples of snapping punches are Tyson and Pacman.

However a strong puncher (think foreman, ricky hatton) thuds their punches they arnt sharp and super fast they are a bit slower and heavy/strong, I have no idea why slower stronger punches make better body shots than snappy shots but according to some they do!? (strong punchers still ko people ala foreman they get called "heavy handed" but not "explosive")

I would have thought a snappy punch due to its superior penitrative force speed and power would be more likely to reach the liver especially if you also drive it which you can with snappy punches (think tyson he likes to drive his snappy punches deep alot of the time)

Why on earth does a slower punch make for a better body punch?
OMGWTF is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why dont snappy punches make for superior body shots like they do head shots?

Why are you making a new thread for something you're already discussing in another thread?
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
OMGWTF
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: Why dont snappy punches make for superior body shots like they do head shots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Why are you making a new thread for something you're already discussing in another thread?
Because I dont want to hijack his thread unlike some people Im asking why snappy punches are inferior body shots, he is asking why good body punchers are poor head punches Ive answered his question fully, but this question is different and remains unknown to most.
OMGWTF is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

It's also another pointless question that gets you nowhere.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
RichC
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGWTF View Post
Ok a snappy punch is traveling faster, and shakes the brain more violently than a "strong thudding punch" and thats why its superior when it comes to knocking people out. Great examples of snapping punches are Tyson and Pacman.

However a strong puncher (think foreman, ricky hatton) thuds their punches they arnt sharp and super fast they are a bit slower and heavy/strong, I have no idea why slower stronger punches make better body shots than snappy shots but according to some they do!? (strong punchers still ko people ala foreman they get called "heavy handed" but not "explosive")

I would have thought a snappy punch due to its superior penitrative force speed and power would be more likely to reach the liver especially if you also drive it which you can with snappy punches (think tyson he likes to drive his snappy punches deep alot of the time)

Why on earth does a slower punch make for a better body punch?
When a punch hits the head, the head generally "bounces" away. The fist only makes contact for a very short period of time. Even if you follow through, after the initially transfer of force, the head moves away from the fist.

This isn't the case when landing to the body.
RichC is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
OMGWTF
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
When a punch hits the head, the head generally "bounces" away. The fist only makes contact for a very short period of time. Even if you follow through, after the initially transfer of force, the head moves away from the fist.

This isn't the case when landing to the body.
Ok the body dosnt bounce away, so why dosnt a snapping punch do more damage here to the body as well?

Because it has more power and you can still drive it deep and the body isnt going anywhere so it seems logical that a snapping punch would make for a better body shot as well?
OMGWTF is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
RichC
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Ok the body dosnt bounce away, so why dosnt a snapping punch do more damage here?

Because it has more power and you can still drive it deep and the body isnt going anywhere so it seems logical that a snapping punch would make for a better body shot as well?
I'm not 100% convinced "snapping" punches are more powerful to be honest.
RichC is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
OMGWTF
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
I'm not 100% convinced "snapping" punches are more powerful to be honest.
They ARE more powerful thats a fact. Due to their speed.

A strong heavy handed punch is more forceful as in it has more total force but as its being applied more slowly, it is less powerful!

However you can still apply heavy force AFTER a snappy punch has made contact if you CHOOSE to drive it in deep with a long contact time. So thats why I suspect snappy punches may make better body shots as well but maybe not.

You have no freaking idea the answer to my question do you lol!?
OMGWTF is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #9
RichC
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:

A strong heavy handed punch is more forceful as in it has more total force but as its being applied more slowly, it is less powerful!

However you can still apply heavy force AFTER a snappy punch has made contact if you CHOOSE to drive it in deep with a long contact time. So thats why I suspect snappy punches may make better body shots as well but maybe not.

Lol ... I'll get back to you after the Hatton fight.
RichC is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #10
RichC
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:

In the meantime, define what a "snapping" punch is?
RichC is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #11
OMGWTF
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
In the meantime, define what a "snapping" punch is?
Are trying to troll me/ hijack my thread as usual lol

OK NP, ITS SIMPLY A PUNCH THAT TAKES ADVANTAGE OF THE STRETCH REFLEX OF THE MIDSECTION.

A thudding strong punch means you rotate one side of your body all at once, no sequence of body parts moving.
OMGWTF is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #12
r1p00pk
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 253

what is a thudding punch, is it a punch you you throw your fastest?
r1p00pk is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #13
markiepoop
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 650

Snapping punches causes KO's because it makes the brain moves forth and back as it hits the skull. The initial 'snap' impact results in vibrations of the head which is why snapping punches are effective above.

However, for the body, you want to dig deep into the body as your goal is to hit the organs as much as possible (instead of the muscles, exterior organs like skin). So if you snap a punch on the body, your just doing damange to the skin and the vibrations it causes won't really do much to it, because it isn't like the head.

but when u dig deep with body shots, your punches reach the organs and cause max damage
markiepoop is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #14
OMGWTF
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiepoop View Post
Snapping punches causes KO's because it makes the brain moves forth and back as it hits the skull. The initial 'snap' impact results in vibrations of the head which is why snapping punches are effective above.

However, for the body, you want to dig deep into the body as your goal is to hit the organs as much as possible (instead of the muscles, exterior organs like skin). So if you snap a punch on the body, your just doing damange to the skin and the vibrations it causes won't really do much to it, because it isn't like the head.

but when u dig deep with body shots, your punches reach the organs and cause max damage

What about someone that both snaps and digs his punch? Mike Tyson throws a clean sharp snappy punch but then he drives deep as well with a long contact time. Would that make for a superior body shot than a regular strong digging body punch?
OMGWTF is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 12:55 AM   #15
markiepoop
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 650

hmm, i think if he digs his punch it wouldn't be considered 'snapping' punches anymore since snapping punches pull back once they reach the target if i am not mistaken.

from expert boxing : "A snapping punch is a quickly thrown punch that aims to minimize the contact time with the target. The snapping punch strikes the target and returns almost immediately after it makes contact instead of the pushing punch which tries to maximize the contact time with the target by forcing the punch all the way through it’s target. It’s called a snapping punch because the arm quickly snaps back after striking the target."

regarding tyson i think he mixes it up and uses a dig type of push punch when he goes to the body.
markiepoop is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing