boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #196
Lance_Uppercut
ESKIMO
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Alaska
Posts: 26,025
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ward did not put a clinic on against Froch at all. Just rewatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAverage View Post
Froch is FAR more entertaining though, and Ward's fights generally sell poorly. The Ward vs Dawson was probably the least anticipated fight ever between two fighters both in the Ring P4P top 6.

Has any fight with both fighters so highly ranked P4P EVER sold so poorly?

I really dont think so. Ward is historically boring and his not wanting to fight outside of the US in not making him any fans either. Especially in a division with a tradition of willingness to travel for the big fights.
There's truth to this, there isn't a long line of people waiting to see Ward fight. That's just how boxing is today, the focus is more on the entertainment and business aspect. However, his not fighting over seas doesn't really factor into his lack of popularity. Fans want blood and guts, and his style will never appease those fans, regardless of where one is from.
Lance_Uppercut is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #197
JoeAverage
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6,078
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ward did not put a clinic on against Froch at all. Just rewatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance_Uppercut View Post
There's truth to this, there isn't a long line of people waiting to see Ward fight. That's just how boxing is today, the focus is more on the entertainment and business aspect. However, his not fighting over seas doesn't really factor into his lack of popularity. Fans want blood and guts, and his style will never appease those fans, regardless of where one is from.
Sure, but I'm not sure traveling doesn't also factor in. Kessler for example has gained a lot of UK fans after having fought in the UK. Same having fought in Germany and Australia.

Pacqiao gained a following fighting often in the US. Chris John is a brilliant fighter, but prefers to stay at home in Indonesia.

Not traveling may not affect whether other american like Ward or not, but going to another country and being interviewed several times by the local press and havinbg open training sessions in the foreign city and so on and on.. that really increases awareness and involvement in the fighter a lot.

And for Ward that crowd is right now.. Oakland and suburbs... and potentially the rest of the US. But beyond the US he has virtually zero loyal following.
In fact very very few care about him. "Yeah, he's good.. but if died tomorrow noone would care.". People don't feel he is interesting or exciting in any way.

Traveling could help change that. And a change of style could too.. but that would be harder for him.
JoeAverage is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #198
Slothrop
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The Zone
Posts: 5,770
vCash: 1195
Default Re: Ward did not put a clinic on against Froch at all. Just rewatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASH_718 View Post
So you scored the fight 116-114?

Ban the troll!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Slothrop is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #199
Lance_Uppercut
ESKIMO
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Alaska
Posts: 26,025
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ward did not put a clinic on against Froch at all. Just rewatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAverage View Post
Sure, but I'm not sure traveling doesn't also factor in. Kessler for example has gained a lot of UK fans after having fought in the UK. Same having fought in Germany and Australia.

Pacqiao gained a following fighting often in the US. Chris John is a brilliant fighter, but prefers to stay at home in Indonesia.

Not traveling may not affect whether other american like Ward or not, but going to another country and being interviewed several times by the local press and havinbg open training sessions in the foreign city and so on and on.. that really increases awareness and involvement in the fighter a lot.

And for Ward that crowd is right now.. Oakland and suburbs... and potentially the rest of the US. But beyond the US he has virtually zero loyal following.
In fact very very few care about him. "Yeah, he's good.. but if died tomorrow noone would care.". People don't feel he is interesting or exciting in any way.

Traveling could help change that. And a change of style could too.. but that would be harder for him.
I can see that with Kessler. But you have to admit, there's a differnce between UK/Euro fans and American fans, just as there is with anything else. Not to mention, Kessler's style, while somewhat robotic, but textbook, is more appealing then Wards, due to his flaws. I think there's some truth that fighting over seas will garner you more fans, but ultimately, it's the style that they bring.

Ward's been on TV for years now, and have had his fights w/ Kessler and Froch shown in their countries. Ward's being exposed there, just not in person. If Ward retired right now, and people didn't care, that's due to the people who just don't care. I find him a little boring, I can admit that. But I wouldn't dare say I would not care about him being gone. He's a hell of a fighter, and very technically gifted, which also plays a part in his lack of popularity. The highly technical guys aren't garnering the type of casual fans who want a donnybrook of a fight. Pernell Whitaker wasn't a draw at all. Floyd wasn't a draw until he took the WWE heel route with his persona. Hopkins was the same due to his technical approach to fighting. fact of the matter is, fans want to see someome get KO'd, not just cleanly outboxed for 10-12 rounds. Anyway, to summise this long winded post, it all goes back to whether the fighter has a style people like. And not a lot prefer Wards.
Lance_Uppercut is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #200
Lance_Uppercut
ESKIMO
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Alaska
Posts: 26,025
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ward did not put a clinic on against Froch at all. Just rewatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASH_718 View Post
So you scored the fight 116-114?

Ban the troll!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You see, that **** Failey will justify his card by saying, "Two judges scored it 115 -113, and I'm only one round off!" Failey's a predictable ****.
Lance_Uppercut is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #201
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Memphis
Posts: 4,389
vCash: 462
Default Re: Ward did not put a clinic on against Froch at all. Just rewatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAverage View Post

Traveling could help change that. And a change of style could too.. but that would be harder for him.
If you look at Ward's early fights, he very much mimicked Roy Jones...and he got hurt trying that. He changed his style to fit his talent and he's a great fighter because of it. The only way he becomes popular is by fighting a really popular fighter(Chavez JR) or being so damn dominant that you have to pay attention(Undisputed at LHW and a trip up to Cruiserweight)....maybe even a try against a weak HW belt holder.
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #202
Lance_Uppercut
ESKIMO
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Alaska
Posts: 26,025
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ward did not put a clinic on against Froch at all. Just rewatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJS19 View Post
Have you ever been in a Boxing gym?
Failey and his cohorts are well schooled in the art of donkey punching each other.
Lance_Uppercut is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #203
Bulletproof
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,069
vCash: 500
Default Re: Ward did not put a clinic on against Froch at all. Just rewatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Whos this alt Bulletpuff?
Wow Bulletpuff eh? That's cool! Well Failey, as you are so well known, it doesn't take an "ALT" as you say to point out the irrefutable fact that you are indeed a man loving sausage swallowing ****face!

IDK how Calslappy is paying you to be his publicist. However I can only assume it's in coke and BJ's because your multi page self serving rants only reinforce your deviant man love for Calslappy and prove that you have waaayyy too much time on your hands. They serve no other purpose whatsoever, well with the exception of giving your Team Elite *** brothers something to toss off to when you aren't available to service them properly. Do try to crawl from underneath Joe's ball sac from time to time to experience the light of day you pale skinned troglodyte *** boy!!
Bulletproof is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #204
ecdrm15
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 3,367
vCash: 1220
Default Re: Ward did not put a clinic on against Froch at all. Just rewatched

All I need to know is in your avy.

Ward UD
ecdrm15 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #205
JoeAverage
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6,078
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ward did not put a clinic on against Froch at all. Just rewatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance_Uppercut View Post
I can see that with Kessler. But you have to admit, there's a differnce between UK/Euro fans and American fans, just as there is with anything else. Not to mention, Kessler's style, while somewhat robotic, but textbook, is more appealing then Wards, due to his flaws. I think there's some truth that fighting over seas will garner you more fans, but ultimately, it's the style that they bring.

Ward's been on TV for years now, and have had his fights w/ Kessler and Froch shown in their countries. Ward's being exposed there, just not in person. If Ward retired right now, and people didn't care, that's due to the people who just don't care. I find him a little boring, I can admit that. But I wouldn't dare say I would not care about him being gone. He's a hell of a fighter, and very technically gifted, which also plays a part in his lack of popularity. The highly technical guys aren't garnering the type of casual fans who want a donnybrook of a fight. Pernell Whitaker wasn't a draw at all. Floyd wasn't a draw until he took the WWE heel route with his persona. Hopkins was the same due to his technical approach to fighting. fact of the matter is, fans want to see someome get KO'd, not just cleanly outboxed for 10-12 rounds. Anyway, to summise this long winded post, it all goes back to whether the fighter has a style people like. And not a lot prefer Wards.
I agree with most of that. I just think traveling has even more of an affect than you sem to think.
JoeAverage is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #206
JoeAverage
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6,078
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ward did not put a clinic on against Froch at all. Just rewatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawJab View Post
If you look at Ward's early fights, he very much mimicked Roy Jones...and he got hurt trying that. He changed his style to fit his talent and he's a great fighter because of it. The only way he becomes popular is by fighting a really popular fighter(Chavez JR) or being so damn dominant that you have to pay attention(Undisputed at LHW and a trip up to Cruiserweight)....maybe even a try against a weak HW belt holder.
I don't know where Chavez is popular, but I guess it must be Mexico and some US-Maxicans.... because in the rest of the world he is less known than someone like Abraham or Johnson. And Froch, Kessler, Mayweather, Pac, and many other fighters are on a whole other level of familiarity.
JoeAverage is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #207
Lance_Uppercut
ESKIMO
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Alaska
Posts: 26,025
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ward did not put a clinic on against Froch at all. Just rewatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAverage View Post
I agree with most of that. I just think traveling has even more of an affect than you sem to think.
I can't necessarily disagree with this statement, but like I said, ultimately, if a guy has a style that's not the cup o' tea of general fans, that won't really warm them up to the other guy. I think travelling overseas is fine, but it's not a necessity, especially when, as some have said, foreign fighters look to come to the US to make it. MAybe that's changing, and I'm fine with boxing being a more "world" wport, but still, it is what it is. You don't see people rushing to Spain to play basketball when their aspirations are the NBA. Same with Soccer (Football), you go where the best play, and that's certainly not the US in this case.
Lance_Uppercut is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #208
pejevan
inmate No. 1363917
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 9,087
vCash: 1343
Default Re: Ward did not put a clinic on against Froch at all. Just rewatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAverage View Post
I agree with most of that. I just think traveling has even more of an affect than you sem to think.

Of course, it has a great effect.

You have honetown himecooking decisions, a referee who is more tolerant to the other fighter, and sometimes the weather and altitude plays havoc to your conditioning.
pejevan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #209
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: England
Posts: 14,273
vCash: 607
Default Re: Ward did not put a clinic on against Froch at all. Just rewatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance_Uppercut View Post
STFU you inconsistent ****. You use ranking to make your point, but say other rankings mean nothing or are just based on American bias when it's against you. Same with scoring. You're an inconsistent ****, and you know it. Only idiots like you will attest Ward - Froch was close.
Lets see your scorecard

Watch Lance pull another duck. I wouldnt be shocked if you come out with some BS about having friends over and not keeping score again, because even you remember how you admitted that you make predictions after the events
bailey is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #210
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: England
Posts: 14,273
vCash: 607
Default Re: Ward did not put a clinic on against Froch at all. Just rewatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJS19 View Post
Have you ever been in a Boxing gym?
Yep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance_Uppercut View Post
Failey and his cohorts are well schooled in the art of donkey punching each other.
Look at ***** Lances experience of his time down the gym

Read the next 10 pages on of pure beatdown Lance took on his day at the gym
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
bailey is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015