Old 11-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #31
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Thoughts on Hatton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Even though I was excited about seeing Hatton back in the ring, I was always worried something like this will happen. I don't care that Hatton lost because I want to see him in future fights or whatever, I'm just disappointed for the man himself. Whether he chooses to retire or carry on, I just hope he can find some peace in his life. I don't think I've ever seen a boxer more mentally crushed than Hatton when he started talking about letting the fans down.

I feel for Hatton quite a lot. He is a millionaire former world champion but he obviously has lots of demons inside his head. I truly hope he can work through yet another setback.

I don't care about the fight tonight or how he looked, and whether he is going to carry or on retire doesn't matter to me. I just hope that Hatton can find a positive escape to the problems he's been having.
That was one of the saddest sights I have saw in boxing. I was watching Ricky closely, analyzing his face as he walked to the ring, looking & hoping to see a bit of the old devil back in his eyes, the 'im the man' swagger that he used to have that made many love him, & some loathe him. I never saw it. I just saw a troubled man. Dont know if it was worry, self doubt or even just plain depression but he never struck me as looking like he was enjoying the occasion, & that shocked me a bit, as I was sure when he walked out in front of his fans, he would be feed off their energy & that would put the smile back on his face. Its such a cliche that people say a boxer feels that the ring is his true home, I suppose I was hoping it would be the case.

Then after a good 2 opening rounds, I think it was the end of the 3rd Ricky was in the corner & looking pensive, you could see that the Ricky of old mentally was long gone, his confidence was shot. It all went downhill after that as we all know, but I found it difficult to watch, cos even as a guy who loved to hate Ricky many moons ago, its obvious that hes not the man he used to be, & I was willing him to win, because his downfall has been so dramatic, & im sure everyone agrees that it only seems a win in the ring can give him peace of mind.

Then that interview afterwards, I was willing Dempsey just to leave Hatton alone & let him get back to the changing room. But no, Dempsey was asking an obvious emotional wreck tough questions, I wanted to smack the cunt over the head with his mic! Seeing Ricky Hatton having to field questions in floods of tears as a boxing fan was making me feel awkward & sad. I suppose its these moments that make boxing so special in a ****ed up kind of way, the highs & lows of fighters & their careers cannot be matched by any other sport, but it does make you ask yourself questions about how you can be a fan at times!

I cant decide wether he should fight on or not, cos it was obvious when this fight was made that Ricky was trying to run before he could walk. It was a big ask to come back agaisnt a bigger guy who has only one defeat after such a long layoff, but on the other hand, Rick was doing well in the early rounds before he started to fade dramatically. Its rounds under the belt though, & Ricky was done more by fatigue than an amazing bodyshot. Maybe there is still hope if he can fight a couple of journeymen & get a winning mindset back, & then one last charge at a world belt. I just feel deep down he needs to give someone a pasting in the ring to get the confidence back, & take it from there.

The KO loss & Rickys sadness after the fight will no doubt be raw in the minds of people for a few days & everyone will be begging him to retire. I however try not to get too carried away with one single performance either way, & still think theres life in the old dog yet, just dont let him pick his opponents cos hes too proud & needs to be carefully matched before letting him off the leash one last time.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #32
gashalasha7
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

The interview afterwards was especially troubling, he was telling himself that he wasnt a failure. I agree he didnt look as though he was enjoying it at all.

Horrible to watch imo, I found it very difficult to watch.
gashalasha7 is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #33
perspicacity
Raising The Bar
ESB Addict

vCash: 185000

I didnt like the idea of this comeback and my only concern was that whenever it ended that Ricky's health was intact.

A brutal headshot KO could have made things a lot worse and hopefully he can overcome any demons and look back at this and accept that it was one of his own signature punches that helped him sign off from what was a great career.
perspicacity is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #34
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty View Post
That was one of the saddest sights I have saw in boxing. I was watching Ricky closely, analyzing his face as he walked to the ring, looking & hoping to see a bit of the old devil back in his eyes, the 'im the man' swagger that he used to have that made many love him, & some loathe him. I never saw it. I just saw a troubled man. Dont know if it was worry, self doubt or even just plain depression but he never struck me as looking like he was enjoying the occasion, & that shocked me a bit, as I was sure when he walked out in front of his fans, he would be feed off their energy & that would put the smile back on his face. Its such a cliche that people say a boxer feels that the ring is his true home, I suppose I was hoping it would be the case.

Then after a good 2 opening rounds, I think it was the end of the 3rd Ricky was in the corner & looking pensive, you could see that the Ricky of old mentally was long gone, his confidence was shot. It all went downhill after that as we all know, but I found it difficult to watch, cos even as a guy who loved to hate Ricky many moons ago, its obvious that hes not the man he used to be, & I was willing him to win, because his downfall has been so dramatic, & im sure everyone agrees that it only seems a win in the ring can give him peace of mind.

Then that interview afterwards, I was willing Dempsey just to leave Hatton alone & let him get back to the changing room. But no, Dempsey was asking an obvious emotional wreck tough questions, I wanted to smack the cunt over the head with his mic! Seeing Ricky Hatton having to field questions in floods of tears as a boxing fan was making me feel awkward & sad. I suppose its these moments that make boxing so special in a ****ed up kind of way, the highs & lows of fighters & their careers cannot be matched by any other sport, but it does make you ask yourself questions about how you can be a fan at times!

I cant decide wether he should fight on or not, cos it was obvious when this fight was made that Ricky was trying to run before he could walk. It was a big ask to come back agaisnt a bigger guy who has only one defeat after such a long layoff, but on the other hand, Rick was doing well in the early rounds before he started to fade dramatically. Its rounds under the belt though, & Ricky was done more by fatigue than an amazing bodyshot. Maybe there is still hope if he can fight a couple of journeymen & get a winning mindset back, & then one last charge at a world belt. I just feel deep down he needs to give someone a pasting in the ring to get the confidence back, & take it from there.

The KO loss & Rickys sadness after the fight will no doubt be raw in the minds of people for a few days & everyone will be begging him to retire. I however try not to get too carried away with one single performance either way, & still think theres life in the old dog yet, just dont let him pick his opponents cos hes too proud & needs to be carefully matched before letting him off the leash one last time.
Good post

You're spot on about Hatton's mentality. Nothing about his body language was close to what we saw during his peak. He looked like a shell of a man, not to mention a fighter. Everything about his body language was reluctant, like his whole body was full of fear. I don't think he was scared about losing or getting hurt, I think he was scared about letting the fans down and, ultimately, he will think he has done that. Personally, I think he took on a good opponent and lost, but there's never any shame in losing. I'm sure most fans would agree with me on that but sadly, that won't be how Hatton sees it. I think he sees himself as a failure and all the hype about the fight and the 20,000 tickets sold will only add to that feeling of shame.

The interview after the fight was sad. For most of the interview, Hatton displayed denial, and argued he was winning the fight and that the poor performance was down to ring rust. Even if both of those things are true, Hatton's real thoughts came when he was talking about how he let the fans down, which is sad. He has too much pride for his own good.

I'd like to see him go out on a win but it seems he has already retired. I want him to have a good note to go out on but I don't know if he can take the constant pressure directed his way.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #35
scotchpieirnbru
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty View Post

I pretty much agree with this mate, i honestly think he set his standards too high too soon. If he had matched himself sensibly he wouldn't have been as vulnerable to the type of shots he was taking because the timing, the ability to ride punches, the footwork, the sharpness, the stamina, the confidence and the basic ring savvy would have all been tuned up that little bit better.

I am probably one of the only posters on here who actually think that it may not yet be all over. If he actually starts again, goes way back to the drawing board and matches himself (or even better lets someone else match him) then he can gradually get back to a decent level. Maybe not as good as he was, but very decent at least. He really does just need to go back to 6 to 8 to ten rounders. Do a Scott Harrison and fight some taxi drivers and see where your at. Its all about timing.
scotchpieirnbru is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #36
scotchpieirnbru
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut Me Mick View Post
A loss to best p4p fighter on the planet nearly sent him over the edge. What do you think getting KO'd infront of his own fans by a euro bum who wore a Utd shirt to the ring going to do to his head?
He wasn't a euro bum. He was very decent with a very decent and respectable record.
scotchpieirnbru is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #37
GlassJawsExist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 496

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadonna Kool View Post
I am very sad, and very upset for Ricky Hatton, this has ruined by mood and night slightly.

I could see from the start, that Hatton's timing, speed and co-ordination was way off. Thats what years of eating shit and boozing does to you, Ricky Hatton in general has aged beyond his years compared to other athletes/boxers who have lived disciplined lives, when it comes to nutrition and lifestyle.

Very sad for Ricky Hatton because i could see how much this meant to him, and no loss, no loss in sport is more emotionally hard, than a boxing loss! Very emotionally saddening, and disturbing.

I honestly will probably not post for awhile now, i am really upset.

Even though most people would think i would be more upset for David Haye or Audley Harrison..? You are wrong.

I worry for Ricky Hatton's general mental health, and the affect this loss will have on his life.

Fighters like David Haye & Audley Harrison, in general just love life and can cope in general life and move on from a loss.

Ricky Hatton seems to be unable to move on from a loss.
Good post pal. That was horrible seeing how much this loss affected him. The guy will either learn from this, or end up in a ditch somewhere.
GlassJawsExist is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #38
Hammer Muldoon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I'll admit that before tonight i was skeptical about the seriousness of Hatton's depression etc. Then i saw the interview after the fight. Worrying stuff. Hope he doesn't go off the rails now.
Hammer Muldoon is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #39
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

TBH during the fight Hatton was beating himself up, A few times i saw him shake his head and make a agonising noise when he missed by miles with a shot.

Shannon bless him was no more then a fitness coach for this fight really. He wasn't really there to develop Hatton's poor defence or devise a smart plan to see him through those rough patches.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #40
rainmaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl-hickey View Post
Do you know who i'm more sad for? his wife.

he needs to stop putting her through this, he was typically arrogent about his choice of opponent

He should have been in there for 6 rounds with a fat latvian with a record of 8(4)-19

What he does i'll still support him, but I just want him to wake up and realise all the good things he's got in his life, he doesn't need to fight anymore he should be taking care of his family now, his life isn't just about him anymore
Totally agree with you mate. He never seems to talk about his family, it's always me me me!! He's got young kids, what about them? He's got a wife that has stuck by him and taken all the shit he's put her through. He needs to wake the **** up. Everyone going on and saying poor Ricky?? What?? have I missed something the past decade, the guy was a superstar, has made a heck of a lot of money and fought in some of the best boxing arenas around. People would ****ing kill to have his life!

All this self pity from a man who has more than millions of people only ever dream of, and all he can keep banging on about is how he feels he is this and that. I mean how huge is his ego? seriously. He needs to get a grip, pull himself together, carve out hs career as a promotor and get on with his life, take care of his family because he owes it to them, he's put them through hell, and he needs to stop feeling sorry for himself and focus on his priorities.

Then maybe he will find some peace. Yes he's come down from a high place but at least he's been there and done it. Needs to get it together and move on.
rainmaker is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #41
Outboxer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

That post fight interview was heartbreaking stuff.
Outboxer is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #42
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Sadly his fight with depression carries on..

Found this vid, thought i'd place here rather then make another thread on Hatton..
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WucTqG0Vm5U[/ame]
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #43
Hammer Muldoon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M72PPf5XHY[/ame]
Hammer Muldoon is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #44
gashalasha7
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
TBH during the fight Hatton was beating himself up, A few times i saw him shake his head and make a agonising noise when he missed by miles with a shot.

Shannon bless him was no more then a fitness coach for this fight really. He wasn't really there to develop Hatton's poor defence or devise a smart plan to see him through those rough patches.
Agree, Hatton actually screamed in frustration when he missed a big left hook.
gashalasha7 is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #45
glue glove
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadonna Kool View Post
I am very sad, and very upset for Ricky Hatton, this has ruined by mood and night slightly.

I could see from the start, that Hatton's timing, speed and co-ordination was way off. Thats what years of eating shit and boozing does to you, Ricky Hatton in general has aged beyond his years compared to other athletes/boxers who have lived disciplined lives, when it comes to nutrition and lifestyle.

Very sad for Ricky Hatton because i could see how much this meant to him, and no loss, no loss in sport is more emotionally hard, than a boxing loss! Very emotionally saddening, and disturbing.

I honestly will probably not post for awhile now, i am really upset.

Even though most people would think i would be more upset for David Haye or Audley Harrison..? You are wrong.

I worry for Ricky Hatton's general mental health, and the affect this loss will have on his life.

Fighters like David Haye & Audley Harrison, in general just love life and can cope in general life and move on from a loss.

Ricky Hatton seems to be unable to move on from a loss.
This.

To me there is a clear mental stability in losing the '0'

Hatton was never the same after Mayweather

Lacy was never the same after Calzaghe

Mitchell went total over the edge after Katsidis

Jermaine Taylor got ruined by Pavlik who was then messed up by Hopkins

Plus you have fighters who care more about protecting their undefeated records than face real challenges. Even if its against a domestic rival they avoid. Look at Fury-Price, Quigg-Frampton etc

If you lose early, like Khan as a bizarre good example, you also lose the fear of losing!
glue glove is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum