nah it's cool man no harm no foul :d
blagovech is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 11:38 PM   #33
OBCboxer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mike Tyson VS Sonny Liston!

Other than styles, what physical attribute/skill does Liston hold the advantage?
OBCboxer is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 12:48 AM   #34
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBCboxer View Post
Other than styles, what physical attribute/skill does Liston hold the advantage?

-Liston had an 84 inch reach to Tyson's 71 inch reach
-Liston's taller
-Liston was around the same prime weight as Tyson but physically stronger and i believe he had a stronger jab (the hardest) a better left hook and a harder straight right, i believe Tyson may have the harder uppercut but it would be nullified in the fight because Liston fought in a very straight up style not hunched over and had his right hand automatically protecting his chin in his normal stance, protecting from an uppercut.
-I believe Liston could take a better punch the punches he took from Cleveland Williams without being shaken were amazing,( don't bring up the 2nd Ali fight, the reason it was so suspicious is because people couldn't believe a guy like Liston who had such a great chin could be taken out with a punch like that) maybe it was age and it was legitimate but in his prime he could take a hell of a punch.
Theron is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 02:27 AM   #35
Danmann
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

I can't see Tyson doing anything other than blowing Liston right out of the ring. He'd kill Liston. Too fast, to talented, better in every way, even better jab. Reach is most overrated stat used in boxing, only reach that counts is reaching opponents chin.
Danmann is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 02:29 AM   #36
Danmann
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
And Larry Holmes did have a great jab but it was not as powerful as Listons, Listons would keep him off balance all night, and Holmes won the first rounds with his jab on the scorecards and that was an old Holmes
Liston was stronger and had a harder jab. Liston is a nightmare for Tyson, i know alot of people like Tyson but sometimes you have to be objective and just see the fight for what would happen.
Tyson slipped jabs extremely well, moved head a lot, and could come in at angle. Remember to that when you jab, you step in, sometime s a little, sometimes a lot. Tyson could close that distance with movement, Liston was not like that.
Danmann is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 03:29 AM   #37
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Tyson is too fast.

Stops liston in 4
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #38
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBCboxer View Post
Style advantage is actualy a prety darn big card to hold.

Liston was an absolute master at using an offensive fighters forward momentum against him, and this would likley be decisive.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #39
OBCboxer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
-Liston had an 84 inch reach to Tyson's 71 inch reach
-Liston's taller
Granted but Tyson dominated many a big men in his day.

Quote:
-Liston was around the same prime weight as Tyson but physically stronger and i believe he had a stronger jab (the hardest) a better left hook and a harder straight right, i believe Tyson may have the harder uppercut but it would be nullified in the fight because Liston fought in a very straight up style not hunched over and had his right hand automatically protecting his chin in his normal stance, protecting from an uppercut.
Tyson was decidedly heavier and also shorter due to his thick muscular stature. His athleticism was much better than Liston's and based on the eye test, in better physical shape. Few Heavyweights kept themselves in the kind of shape Tyson did. Whatever Liston could, Tyson could do it except faster and sharper, besides that big jab Liston had. Once Tyson gets past that jab and I think he would, Liston is in big trouble. In a fight there will be times when Liston won't be protecting his chin, there will be opportunities for Mike. Liston would have to be perfect with Tyson coming in on the inside.

Quote:
-I believe Liston could take a better punch the punches he took from Cleveland Williams without being shaken were amazing,( don't bring up the 2nd Ali fight, the reason it was so suspicious is because people couldn't believe a guy like Liston who had such a great chin could be taken out with a punch like that) maybe it was age and it was legitimate but in his prime he could take a hell of a punch.
Have to disagree here. Liston never really fought any heavy hitters aside from Cleveland Williams, who he dispatched in three rounds so Williams didn't have much of a chance anyway. Why not bring up Ali? That topic is all subjective anyway, when his prime was and whether the punch was legitimate, in any case, he was knocked out by Leotis Martin in 9 rounds. Tyson went 9 rounds with Lewis when he was washed up as well and took much more punishment.
OBCboxer is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #40
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
Style advantage is actualy a prety darn big card to hold.

Liston was an absolute master at using an offensive fighters forward momentum against him, and this would likley be decisive.
FINALLY! thank you, i thought i was the only one here that thought a certain style could beat Tyson, Tyson is not some kind of invincible god Liston was invincible before Tyson was ever considered one. There's things to consider here
-Everybody when a prime Mike was around said a person needed a good jab to beat Tyson...Boom Liston best heavyweight jab ever
-You needed to be a good boxer...there we go again Liston very technical boxer even Ali said Liston was the most technical boxer he evr fought.
-Needed to be able to take a punch.. There's another one for Liston
-And the obvious one a big powerful guy with a long hard jab great boxing skills and a chin of iron who could smuther Tyson the way bonecrusher Smith did very easily with alot more power and who would often catch his opponents on the way in.

I know Mike's a more modern fighter and he has alOOOT of fans, but he's not invincible he could be beat and there are just some guys who could beat him and Listons one
Theron is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #41
HOUDINI
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Both on steroids or just Tyson?

I say the inherit mental/psychological issues Tyson showed as an amateur and later in his career come out big time against Liston. Listons not afraid of Tyson but you cant say that Tyson not be intimidated. Liston was always moving his head pressing forward with that jab and following it up with those booming rights. My feeling is Liston eventually wins the battle of the jabs, lands his right behind it and knocks Tyson out within 8 rounds.
HOUDINI is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #42
BUDW
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Liston by KO, Tyson is made to order for Liston
BUDW is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #43
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

something like Tyson-Berbick ...Sonny goes down in a bad manner...I think Mike gets to him early in the revenge of the Cus
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #44
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

Quote:
Unless were talking about a prime Tyson vs an over the hill Liston the Clay fights dont count Sonny's prime was before the Clay fights where he took a pretty good beating breaking his nose in the first round of the Cleveland Williams fight and then coming back to win by tko. I don't remember Tyson getting hurt that badly and coming back to win in the fashion that Liston did in his prime
Ruddock bust Tysons eardrum and his ribs.
Azzer85 is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #45
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUDINI View Post
Both on steroids or just Tyson?

I say the inherit mental/psychological issues Tyson showed as an amateur and later in his career come out big time against Liston. Listons not afraid of Tyson but you cant say that Tyson not be intimidated. Liston was always moving his head pressing forward with that jab and following it up with those booming rights. My feeling is Liston eventually wins the battle of the jabs, lands his right behind it and knocks Tyson out within 8 rounds.
Sorry, Liston is a guy who quit twice, against Clay, there is nothing to show that Liston is mentally tougher than Tyson. Liston/Tyson are 2 sides of the same coin.

Your accusing Tyson of steroids, if you follow Tysons career you can see hes had more or less the same body shape through his 20 years. Steroids is someone like Holyfield, who grows rapidly overnight.
Azzer85 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum