Old 02-04-2008, 09:55 PM   #16
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Kelly Pavlik v. Tommy Hearns @ 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by radianttwilight
This is a fight where I think Hearns might be better off thinking his chin is iron and going for broke early.
That's why I think it does end early. What's to stop him from fighting that way?
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2008, 09:59 PM   #17
radianttwilight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
That's why I think it does end early. What's to stop him from fighting that way?
Nothing, he'd be stupid not to fight that way. Throwing caution to the wind doesn't mean he knocks out Pavlik before he gets caught himself, though.

I just can't get the images of Hearns getting cold****ed and Pavlik getting off the canvas to stop Hearns out of my head

This concludes our mini-discussion (for the night, at least - I'm headed to bed), the underlying factor in my analysis is:

DURABILITY!
radianttwilight is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2008, 10:30 PM   #18
Mega Lamps
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Pavlik has a punchers chance and they both have similar attributes but I'd have to give skill to Tommy and predict hed end up stopping Kelly at some point in the fight.
Mega Lamps is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2008, 10:41 PM   #19
Fedor Em
Enforcement, VRWC style
ESB Addict

I see Hearns stopping Pav in 5. Kelly has a decent chin, and good recovery skills, but those were recovery skills against Taylor. I don't see Pavilk surviving Hearns when he is in trouble. Tommy had the reach of Taylor, superior power, speed, and was a far better combination puncher, especially when his opponent was hurt.
Fedor Em is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 02:52 AM   #20
MrMagic
Super Six
East Side VIP

Here's two bangers, that can definitely KO one another.
The key thing would be Hearns conditioning, he'll outjab Pavlik, something noone has done thus far, and how would Pavlik react to that? Hearns jab was freakish, Kellys isn't bad either, he actually outjabbed Taylor.. but he wouldn't outjab Tommy.

Based on styles, I think I have to give Pavlik the edge, he comes forward with a relentless non-stop attack, Tommy on the other hand can move well for the first half of the fight, and w/ that .. very well.

I would think that Kelly catches up with Tommy somewhere between the 8th and the 12th round, and finish him off.

Either an early K.O for Tommy or Pavlik late.
If it goes a few rounds, Pavlik will benefit.
MrMagic is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 06:10 AM   #21
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
Taylor, who doesn't punch with the speed, accuracy, or power of Hearns nearly had Pavlik out of there. This may be a matchup of "whoever lands with their power first." And Hearns is more likely to connect with a big right hand early than Pavlik is. Plus, I don't consider Pavlik to be a one-punch KO artist. Even at middleweight, I think a single Hearns punch is harder.

I'd take Hearns in 3
Me too, good summation.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 06:11 AM   #22
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Taylor nearly had Pavlik out, Hearns is a much better version and does take Pavlik out
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 06:28 AM   #23
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Hearns TKO4. Not much to add to Sweet Pea's summary.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 07:42 AM   #24
JediPimp007
Long suffering reader
ESB Senior Member

Hears imo, but it's a pickem fight. Hearns would surely use his much better boxing skills, speed of foot and hand to dictate and has more 1 punch power (Pavlik outworks and stops people). Hearns also has the better reach, but his chin is below average... which against Pavlik is a problem... but this works both ways, I dont doubt for a moment that if Hearns starts landing rights all night, then he'll put Kelly to sleep... then again it could go the way of the first SRL fight with Hearns winning and eventually getting caught up and stopped late.
JediPimp007 is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 12:03 PM   #25
abraq
Contender
ESB Senior Member

From the accomplishment of both fighters till date I can't believe the number of people who has picked Pavlik.

IMO Hearns wins this one - by kayo or decision.

Yes, ultimately Pavlik may accomplish enough in his career to merit giving him the nod in a bout with Hearns at middleweight. Only time will tell.
abraq is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 12:09 PM   #26
JediPimp007
Long suffering reader
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraq
From the accomplishment of both fighters till date I can't believe the number of people who has picked Pavlik.

IMO Hearns wins this one - by kayo or decision.

Yes, ultimately Pavlik may accomplish enough in his career to merit giving him the nod in a bout with Hearns at middleweight. Only time will tell.
exactly, Pavlik has one very good win over JT who's looked less than impressive recently and even that one was a close fight, nothing like the blowout it's being made out to be. Hearns had phenominal power that carried up through countless weight classes, but more so was fast, technical and very giften athlete.
JediPimp007 is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #27
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I like Hearns much more, rank him MUCH higher...I don't see any way Pavlik outboxes Tommy (Few could), but Tommy was susceptible to the big punch..Pavlik stops him in 9 while trailing on all 3 cards...then Tommy comes back a year and a half later to score a UD 8-4.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 07:04 PM   #28
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69
I like Hearns much more, rank him MUCH higher...I don't see any way Pavlik outboxes Tommy (Few could), but Tommy was susceptible to the big punch..Pavlik stops him in 9 while trailing on all 3 cards...then Tommy comes back a year and a half later to score a UD 8-4.
Pavklik has won 2 big fights (Taylor & Pantera).

Hearns has won numerous big fights from 147 to 175.

The size & punching power are similar, but the experience is
very one-sided for Hearns.

You can pull a Terry and go into Atlas-babblespeak and talk about
"dimensions" and "options", but Hearns has so many more ways to win.

Hearns just takes the easy road and outpoints him.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 07:42 PM   #29
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

I think Pavlik's chin is getting sold short here. Alright, so he was knocked down by Taylor, but it was simply a great shot. it caught him right on the temple, but he got up alright. He took a lot of clean shots to the jaw after the one which put him on the canvas, which says something. Any boxer is capable of getting knocked down, even if it is against a "decent" puncher.

Look at the fights with Miranda. Pavlik took a lot of realy good punches in that fight against a proven one-punch knockout artist. I'd say Miranda has better power than Hearns, so if his best shots didn't KO Pavlik, I can't see Hearns scoring a blowout.

If Hearns is to win this fight, he'd be better off boxing, throwing hard counter shots. If he trades with a guy who has a harder punch and better chin, the result would be the same as 'The War'.

Hearns is the better boxer. He should use that to his advantage.

If he doesn't, Pavlik KO 4.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 07:54 PM   #30
frankwornank
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Hearns was always very dangerous. But I pick Pavlik. Pavlik is a stronger guy. Hearns, while great, tended to become fatigued when really pressed. His legs started to become discombobulated (confused) under him. You can be sure, Pavlik would put all kinds of pressure on Hearns.

Obviously, we will never know. It would have been exciting for sure!
frankwornank is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum