Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-28-2012, 12:44 AM   #1
AP3RE2
El Ausente
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1433
Default "The Ghost" is a legitimate opponent for "Money"

After years of fighting (and winning) in relative obscurity, Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero (31-1, 18 KOs) may soon become a household name as the next opponent for the pound for pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. “The Ghost” has gone under the radar for the past couple of years accumulating win after win. His latest victory came this past Saturday night in Ontario, CA against former two-time welterweight champion Andre Berto (28-2, 22 KOs).

Guerrero took control of the fight from the start and had Berto on the canvas in the first and second round. I did not think Guerrero would be able to handle Berto’s power but in fact it was Berto who could not take Guerrero’s punch. It was what appeared to be a weak overhand left that staggered Berto early on in the first round. Within a few rounds, Berto’s right eye was swollen shut. With a significant lead on the scorecards and with a one-eyed fighter in front of him, Guerrero surprisingly resorted to fighting on the inside which proved to be a mistake as Berto got the better of him. In the end Guerrero outlasted Berto as all three judges scored the bout in favor of Guerrero 116-110. It was an ugly win, but a win nonetheless.

"I'm here, let's do this, Floyd," Guerrero said after earning his first million dollar payday. “I want to fight the best and I want to be the best, and that's why I want to fight Floyd Mayweather."

With the win, is Robert Guerrero now a legitimate opponent for Floyd Mayweather Jr.? Yes, as legitimate as any other. If Berto had gone on to win the fight, he would have been the next likely candidate to fight Mayweather so why not Guerrero. From 147 to 154 pounds there is only one fighter more deserving than Guerrero of the opportunity to fight Mayweather and that is Manny Pacquaio. Of course we can’t hold our collective breath waiting for that fight to be made.

What about the undefeated welterweight champion Timothy Bradley? After the embarrassing performance Bradley put on against Pacquiao in June, why would anyone want to see him in the ring again. In the junior middleweight division, Floyd has already disposed of the most worthy contender in Miguel Cotto. There is of course Saul “Canelo” Alvarez but to think he is more deserving of a shot against the best fighter in the world than Guerrero is absurd.
AP3RE2 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2012, 01:02 AM   #2
Low Blow Combos
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: "The Ghost" is a legitimate opponent for "Money"

Nah. I like Guerrero and all but this would be a waste of a PPV event.
Low Blow Combos is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2012, 01:09 AM   #3
SweatPea
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

would be nice to see Floyd with another KO victory(excellent finisher).

make it happen.
SweatPea is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2012, 01:21 AM   #4
AP3RE2
El Ausente
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Blow Combos View Post
Nah. I like Guerrero and all but this would be a waste of a PPV event.
So who would not make for a waste of a PPV event against Money?
AP3RE2 is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2012, 01:23 AM   #5
prelude
Champion
East Side Guru

I couldn't agree more...Froid would be willing to die in the ring against Guerrero .
prelude is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2012, 01:25 AM   #6
Low Blow Combos
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP3RE2 View Post
So who would not make for a waste of a PPV event against Money?
Canelo, Martinez (willing to come down to 154) even Broner would make for a worthy PPV matchup IMO. Guerrero is just too predictable, too dull for a dynamic guy like Mayweather.
Low Blow Combos is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2012, 01:27 AM   #7
BobTheBuilder
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 630

The Ghost Kelly Pavlik is a bit big for Mayweather however being that there is a good chance Kelly will be spending the vast majority of his training getting pissed up, I think Money has a chance.
BobTheBuilder is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2012, 01:30 AM   #8
Alo2006
R.I.P Sean Taylor
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Mayweather destroys Guerrero!
Alo2006 is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2012, 01:33 AM   #9
H .
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 218

not really. put guerrero in with tim bradley, that could be interesting
H . is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2012, 01:34 AM   #10
AP3RE2
El Ausente
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alo2006 View Post
Mayweather destroys Guerrero!
Can't say I disagree but who else deserves the shot at Money? Martinez as a p4p guy does but that fight is not happening anytime soon.
AP3RE2 is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2012, 01:35 AM   #11
AP3RE2
El Ausente
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H . View Post
not really. put guerrero in with tim bradley, that could be interesting
Tim Bradley? No, thank you.
AP3RE2 is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2012, 01:36 AM   #12
JoeCamelTow
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweatPea View Post
would be nice to see Floyd with another KO victory(excellent finisher).

make it happen.

Floyd has two KO's in over 5 years and Guerrero has showed a decent chin.

This one might go the distance.
JoeCamelTow is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2012, 01:36 AM   #13
AP3RE2
El Ausente
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Blow Combos View Post
Canelo, Martinez (willing to come down to 154) even Broner would make for a worthy PPV matchup IMO. Guerrero is just too predictable, too dull for a dynamic guy like Mayweather.
Canelo gets destroyed, Broner is not a realistic opponent, and Martinez is recovering from an injury and won't be ready anytime soon.
AP3RE2 is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2012, 01:36 AM   #14
H .
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 218

Quote:
Tim Bradley? No, thank you.
who wins?
H . is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2012, 01:45 AM   #15
o_money
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
After years of fighting (and winning) in relative obscurity, Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero (31-1, 18 KOs) may soon become a household name as the next opponent for the pound for pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. “The Ghost” has gone under the radar for the past couple of years accumulating win after win. His latest victory came this past Saturday night in Ontario, CA against former two-time welterweight champion Andre Berto (28-2, 22 KOs).

Guerrero took control of the fight from the start and had Berto on the canvas in the first and second round. I did not think Guerrero would be able to handle Berto’s power but in fact it was Berto who could not take Guerrero’s punch. It was what appeared to be a weak overhand left that staggered Berto early on in the first round. Within a few rounds, Berto’s right eye was swollen shut. With a significant lead on the scorecards and with a one-eyed fighter in front of him, Guerrero surprisingly resorted to fighting on the inside which proved to be a mistake as Berto got the better of him. In the end Guerrero outlasted Berto as all three judges scored the bout in favor of Guerrero 116-110. It was an ugly win, but a win nonetheless.

"I'm here, let's do this, Floyd," Guerrero said after earning his first million dollar payday. “I want to fight the best and I want to be the best, and that's why I want to fight Floyd Mayweather."

With the win, is Robert Guerrero now a legitimate opponent for Floyd Mayweather Jr.? Yes, as legitimate as any other. If Berto had gone on to win the fight, he would have been the next likely candidate to fight Mayweather so why not Guerrero. From 147 to 154 pounds there is only one fighter more deserving than Guerrero of the opportunity to fight Mayweather and that is Manny Pacquaio. Of course we can’t hold our collective breath waiting for that fight to be made.

What about the undefeated welterweight champion Timothy Bradley? After the embarrassing performance Bradley put on against Pacquiao in June, why would anyone want to see him in the ring again. In the junior middleweight division, Floyd has already disposed of the most worthy contender in Miguel Cotto. There is of course Saul “Canelo” Alvarez but to think he is more deserving of a shot against the best fighter in the world than Guerrero is absurd.
Good post. Reads like an article which is i assume what you are going for. For completeness I'd expand on this paragraph a little if you want it to have a true article feel to it.

As for what I think:

The fun thing about the WW and JMW divisions right now is that they are pretty cleaned out and the young guys at them are not that well established. At 147 lbs there are many stars but few have faced and defeated very many other stars or top contenders. To give you an idea of how all show and no go 147 lb is right now Geurrero is definitely one of the more credible opponents and that's after only two wins in the division. Tim Bradley is probably the head of the line if you have to be honest with yourself. Bradley has faced and defeated far more world level opponents over then last two years then basically anyone else in contention. Okay his only two marks at WW are Abregu and Pac. And the pac win is very dubious. But dubious or not its still a win against the second best fighter in the division and we`ve all seen plenty of fighters move up in line despite contraversial wins. Overall I would say his showing against Pac (win lose or draw) showed more then Guerrero`s clear win over berto. Even though Guerrero`swas the more entertaining. That combined with his work at JrWW probably makes him the more worthy opponent IMO.

You can make an easy argument that so long as floyd is going to ignore a challenge from Martinez Guerrero should be next in line. He`s got a good body of work at the lower wts (not a great resume though). He has two solid back to back wins against top guys in the division. He is in his prime. And he has a variety of skills and ring smarts that would make him competitive against Mayweather.

Pacquiao obviously is the default number one. We all know why he disearves it but we all also know that he`s turned down the fight so many times its not worth getting into why he should take it.

Canelo is a good fighter and when you look at accomplishments of different champions at 154 lbs he actually is pretty much the most accomplished of them (not included Cotto whom just had his shot). But although he has looked impressive in his victories, wins against Mathew Hatton, Ryan Rhodes and Lopez aren't more impressive then wins over berto and aydin. His path to Mayweather runs through the Cotto-trout winner or the eventual Lara-Vanes winner. So he is definitely not front of the line.
o_money is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum