Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Where do you rate Zaheer Rahim's performance against Erick Morales

Put aside weight issues 'n any every other lame excuse; the only thing that matters is what goes on within 20 feet when the bell rings. Old schoolers understood that.

To me, it was one of the most beautiful boxing performances I've ever...'n I saw Pep, Janiro 'n Billy Graham live at their best.
john garfield is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
DaveK
Vicious & Malicious
ESB Addict

Default Re: Where do you rate Zaheer Rahim's performance against Erick Morales

A career-best performance for Raheem. He sure beat the shit out of Morales. I think Morales got too big for his britches after the Pac win and 135 was too big, not to mention the guy was all wrong for Morales.

I rate it in the Buster Douglas category... He had a brilliant night, but he dropped the ball immediately. Great night, great showing, but that's it. The other guy never recaptured what he once was after the loss...

Morales shouldn't have moved up. Period.
DaveK is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

The phrase 'lightning in a bottle' comes to mind...
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I remember watching that fight in a bar with my woman , while we were waiting for a boat to deliver us to an island of British Columbia in the morning... I was just shocked how easily Rahim handled him. A great and masterful performance.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 04:20 AM   #5
The Funny Man 7
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1326

Raheem had a lot of guys in the boxing world rooting for him going in because of the shaft he got against Rocky Juarez, and he delivered on those expectations and then some against El Terrible. And then with a tidal wave of hype and support he went and totally blew it in his next fight when he lost to Freitas in one of the ugliest, miserable, boring, mauling fights I've ever watched.

(Incidently that fight was the same night as my junior prom. I recall that my vcr was asleep from recording that bore when I got back).

Even though Raheem was in the zone like no one's business in there Morales looked so ****ing jaded. The guy had been through a brutal ringer leading up to that one: Chavez, Hernandez, Barrera III, and then Pacman. He came in looking flabby and burnt out and bored with boxing in general. He was probably hoping Raheem would just fold after a few rounds.
The Funny Man 7 is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 04:50 AM   #6
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by john garfield View Post
Put aside weight issues 'n any every other lame excuse; the only thing that matters is what goes on within 20 feet when the bell rings. Old schoolers understood that.

To me, it was one of the most beautiful boxing performances I've ever...'n I saw Pep, Janiro 'n Billy Graham live at their best.
I rate it a tad below Spadafora vs. Cardona and Mijares vs. Arce on my all time list of best ever boxing displays.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 07:00 AM   #7
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

It was a quality dominant performance, which should have been a launch pad for him in a fair world. Life isn't fair though. Unfortunately he got a decision he probably should have won in his next fight (Freitas) go against him, his Juarez loss was robbery loss at 126 too. So after Freitas a couple of years where he can't get a fight before at the age of 32 they put in with a 6'1 giant in Funeka who knocked him out. Career done

The performance itself, the style suited him, Morales didn't have the best defence or speed and wasn't great at cutting off the ring. He'd also struggled with a pure boxer in Espadas going to a controversial decision. Morales was also a faded force. People point to it being at 135 and Raheem being too big as an issue, but this isn't true. Raheem was at 126 himself a couple of fights before and Morales was drained at 130 by this stage

Last edited by PowerPuncher; 12-02-2012 at 07:29 AM.
PowerPuncher is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum