Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 05-29-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
BigReg
Broad Street Bully
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default What makes people think Mayweather won't accept 14 days?

I'm growing incresingly confident that this fight will be made. Pacquiao's willingness to do the testing with a 14 day cutoff is a big reason why. I know there is a quote out there of Mayweather saying he rescined his 14 day cutoff offer, but that was from back in February. I remember an interview from late Nov/early Dec where he said he would never fight Pac if it's a 50/50 split. As we all know, he agreed to a 50/50 split pretty quickly once the negotiations actually started. Therefore, I believe he's a lot more flexible than he's lead on to be in interviews.

In reality, I don't think Mayweather has a problem with a 14 day cutoff, and I don't believe Pacquiao has a problem giving blood as close as 3 or 4 days to the fight. Think about it. Although a guy can cheat with a 14 day window, it's still very risky and he'll have a hard time cheating effectively. On the flip side, we all know you can give 6mL of blood and be perfectly fine afterwards. Pacquiao gets blood drawn once a year, he knows it doesn't really effect him. I can understand him not wanting to give blood the day of or before the fight, but I'm confident he would be okay giving blood 3 or 4 days before the fight. However, both have taken a hard stance and don't want to seem like they're backing down. As long as both sides keep their mouths shut in regards to negotiations, they can come to a comprimise and save face publically. Respected columnist Dan Rafael intimated in his chat that talks were progessing but refused to elaborate. That's definately a good sign.
BigReg is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
Leon
The Artful Dodger
East Side VIP

Default Re: What makes people think Mayweather won't accept 14 days?

Roger hasn't even gone to court yet. My guess is that Floyd is silent because he doesn't even ****ing know whether he's going to be able to have his trainer or not.
Leon is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
PNoyFightFanUSN
Larry Don't Give a ****
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Floyd can pretty much train himself.Roger would be a comfort item since he's been there for so long but most of his advice is "Keep doin whatchu doin,don't mind that mo****a" so Floyd is clearly on autopilot for most of his fights.Unfortunately, Floyd's 24/7 segments would require him to throw more money with the missing 27 minutes of mitt work he provides.

I think Floyd will bend on this and take it. He opened up offensively against Mosley and said that was for the fans so if he takes the 14 days he can tag on the "for the fans" again and maybe soften his ****y asshole image and endear himself to the fans a little bit now that he's so established and probably going to be winding down and retiring for good in the next 2 years.That's what I think at least.It would lend more evidence to the "let's drag this promotion out to the point of pissing off boxing fans" conspiracy involving all the parties for this fight.
PNoyFightFanUSN is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
Zaryu
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

I hope you're right reg. I'm at a point where I don't think any outcome regarding the negotiations would surprise me and I just don't know what to expect.
Zaryu is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
Leon
The Artful Dodger
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNoyFightFanUSN View Post
Floyd can pretty much train himself.Roger would be a comfort item since he's been there for so long but most of his advice is "Keep doin whatchu doin,don't mind that mo****a" so Floyd is clearly on autopilot for most of his fights.Unfortunately, Floyd's 24/7 segments would require him to throw more money with the missing 27 minutes of mitt work he provides.
You really think Floyd is THAT great?
Leon is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
PH|LLA
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 5685

One thing for sure is that neither guy is scared of the other, and both have alot to gain from making the fight. Usually that is enough to get the fight made.

I think the sticking issues at this point are
- 0 days vs 14 days
- November fight date
- 50/50 or 55/45
- Possibly top biling
- Who gets to enter the ring last
- 8oz or 10oz gloves
PH|LLA is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
hagman1989
the boxing site , try it
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNoyFightFanUSN View Post
the reason roger dosent seem helpfull in the ring is because floyds already eacuting the game plan that he put together and worked on during training , all the fancy pad work is for the cameras they work tirelessly on perfectin their game plan
hagman1989 is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
PNoyFightFanUSN
Larry Don't Give a ****
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
You really think Floyd is THAT great?
No,I know that Floyd's training segments are made up of a shit load of mitt work.Being facetious. I do think he can train himself if he needed to though.He'd make a hell of a trainer if he wanted to be one.
PNoyFightFanUSN is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2010, 01:02 PM   #9
BigReg
Broad Street Bully
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH|LLA View Post
One thing for sure is that neither guy is scared of the other, and both have alot to gain from making the fight. Usually that is enough to get the fight made.

I think the sticking issues at this point are
- 0 days vs 14 days
- November fight date
- 50/50 or 55/45
- Possibly top biling
- Who gets to enter the ring last
- 8oz or 10oz gloves

They'll use 8 oz. gloves, that won't be an issue. The fight date won't be much of an issue, and I don't believe the split will cause much problems. Things like top billing and who enters last will definately not derail the fight. It all comes down to a comprimise on the blood testing issue. If they can work that out, the fight gets made.
BigReg is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2010, 01:02 PM   #10
Suga
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigReg View Post
I'm growing incresingly confident that this fight will be made. Pacquiao's willingness to do the testing with a 14 day cutoff is a big reason why. I know there is a quote out there of Mayweather saying he rescined his 14 day cutoff offer, but that was from back in February. I remember an interview from late Nov/early Dec where he said he would never fight Pac if it's a 50/50 split. As we all know, he agreed to a 50/50 split pretty quickly once the negotiations actually started. Therefore, I believe he's a lot more flexible than he's lead on to be in interviews.

In reality, I don't think Mayweather has a problem with a 14 day cutoff, and I don't believe Pacquiao has a problem giving blood as close as 3 or 4 days to the fight. Think about it. Although a guy can cheat with a 14 day window, it's still very risky and he'll have a hard time cheating effectively. On the flip side, we all know you can give 6mL of blood and be perfectly fine afterwards. Pacquiao gets blood drawn once a year, he knows it doesn't really effect him. I can understand him not wanting to give blood the day of or before the fight, but I'm confident he would be okay giving blood 3 or 4 days before the fight. However, both have taken a hard stance and don't want to seem like they're backing down. As long as both sides keep their mouths shut in regards to negotiations, they can come to a comprimise and save face publically. Respected columnist Dan Rafael intimated in his chat that talks were progessing but refused to elaborate. That's definately a good sign.
I really hope you are right.
Suga is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2010, 01:04 PM   #11
PH|LLA
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 5685

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigReg View Post
They'll use 8 oz. gloves, that won't be an issue. The fight date won't be much of an issue, and I don't believe the split will cause much problems. Things like top billing and who enters last will definately not derail the fight. It all comes down to a comprimise on the blood testing issue. If they can work that out, the fight gets made.
You don't think Mayweather will feel that November is too quick a turnaround after he fought in May?
PH|LLA is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #12
renyo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 218

It's gonna happen. Both of these guys want this fight... As competitors they know this shit will haunt them without knowing who's the better man inside that ring.

Pacs compromised, Floyds wanted this same cutoff the first go round. Get it on.

Pac whoops Floyd in November.
renyo is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #13
BigReg
Broad Street Bully
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH|LLA View Post
You don't think Mayweather will feel that November is too quick a turnaround after he fought in May?
No, it's a 6 month turnaround. He fought Hoya in May and then Hatton in the beginning of Dec. He also was willing to fight Pac in March after fighting Marquez in September. Training camp is only 8 weeks, and the promotion would begin 3 months before the fight. 6 months is plenty of time.
BigReg is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2010, 01:22 PM   #14
caneman
100% AllNatural Xylocaine
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

He'll accept it. He will sure look the coward if he backs out of his offer. Pac has met him halfway. There's already word out that the two camps have resolved the blood testing issue. The current issue is now the money split.
caneman is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #15
Jetmax
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 335

I hear you and I absolutely think you are right. Both camps have a reason to postpone the fight. I have always maintained that either Floyd is jerking Pacquiao or both of them are jerking us, leaning a lot more on the latter. Eventually this fight gets made I will bet on that.
Jetmax is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum