Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
Derrick_Rose
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Would you box if you knew that you will end up brain damaged?

Serious Question.

I had a conversation with one of the coaches in my gym today about this. Imagine you are a highly skilled up and coming fighter but somehow you know that you gonna end up punch drunk when you hit your 50s or 60s. Would you still fight? You have the chance to make alot of money but more importantly you can be somebody that people will look up to and idolize. But at the end of the day you might not be able to talk/recognize your grandchildren etc.

I personally would still fight and take the risk rather than working in a boring office 8 hours a day for 40 years.

My english sucks but hopefully you understand what i tried to explain.
Derrick_Rose is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Would you box if you knew that you will end up brain damaged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick_Rose View Post
Serious Question.

I had a conversation with one of the coaches in my gym today about this. Imagine you are a highly skilled up and coming fighter but somehow you know that you gonna end up punch drunk when you hit your 50s or 60s. Would you still fight? You have the chance to make alot of money but more importantly you can be somebody that people will look up to and idolize. But at the end of the day you might not be able to talk/recognize your grandchildren etc.

I personally would still fight and take the risk rather than working in a boring office 8 hours a day for 40 years.

Your post is clear 'n articulate, DR. Speaking for myself, when you're young you feel immortal, like it can't happen to you, only the other guy. At least it's how I felt when I boxed 'n played football.

I'm sure I got my bell rung enough between both sports that I have significant brain damage. But at 77, I'm not gonna worry about it too much, even though my wife keeps reminding me how dense I am.
john garfield is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
Derrick_Rose
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john garfield View Post
Your post is clear 'n articulate, DR. Speaking for myself, when you're young you feel immortal, like it can't happen to you, only the other guy. At least it's how I felt when I boxed 'n played football.

I'm sure I got my bell rung enough between both sports that I have significant brain damage. But at 77, I'm not gonna worry about it too much, even though my wife keeps reminding me how dense I am.
You are 77? How long did you box? Did u just spar or did you have amateur/pro fights?
Old 01-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
welsh_dragon83
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Serious Question.

no **** that brain damage shit, id prefer to have all my marbles thanks, yes people would know who you are & what a good boxer you were. but be thinking oh look at whats happened to him its so sad & hope that never happens to me
welsh_dragon83 is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
You are 77? How long did you box? Did u just spar or did you have amateur/pro fights?
Started training when I was nine. Boxed amateur, in smokers, in college, for the 5th St.Gym team 'n in the army. Never turned pro, but sparred a lot of pros.
john garfield is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
Indio-Bandido
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Serious Question.

wait a second. do u mean knowing for a fact that you ll end up brain damaged or knowing that you might end up brain damaged? big difference.
Indio-Bandido is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
dodong
>>PACQUIAO<<
East Side VIP

Quote:
Serious Question.

I had a conversation with one of the coaches in my gym today about this.

Quote:
Imagine you are a highly skilled up and coming fighter but somehow you know that you gonna end up punch drunk when you hit your 50s or 60s. Would you still fight? You have the chance to make alot of money but more importantly you can be somebody that people will look up to and idolize. But at the end of the day you might not be able to talk/recognize your grandchildren etc.

i will still fight but minimize the risk, i will avoid dangerous fights or fights that i could lose. i will fight in mismatches and convince my dickriders that i'm fighting the best out there.

...just like my idol floyd jr.
dodong is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
Derrick_Rose
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indio-Bandido View Post
wait a second. do u mean knowing for a fact that you ll end up brain damaged or knowing that you might end up brain damaged? big difference.
Knowing for a fact that you will end up with some kind of brain damage.

Maybe not as far as some Parkinsons/Alzheimer shit but slurred speech, memory problems etc.

But keep in mind that by the time you reach that level (20-30 years from now) medicine will be more advanced. I dont think that it will ever be possible to cure brain damage but i am sure they will have some shit that will make life easier.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #9
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 462

If I had the talent and promoter to make me a superstar...yes. I could set my family up for a long time.
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
Indio-Bandido
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Knowing for a fact that you will end up with some kind of brain damage.

Maybe not as far as some Parkinsons/Alzheimer shit but slurred speech, memory problems etc.

But keep in mind that by the time you reach that level (20-30 years from now) medicine will be more advanced. I dont think that it will ever be possible to cure brain damage but i am sure they will have some shit that will make life easier.
i d still do it. the brain deteriorates anyway. my grandfather had dementia and he had never boxed in his life. look at michael j. fox. his symptoms are far worse than those of freddie roach and he's never boxed either. there are no guarantees in life.
Indio-Bandido is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #11
ButtBread
@bettingboxing
ESB Full Member

vCash: 2236

If it was a choice between laboring in poverty and desperation my whole life and the boxing, I would take the boxing. If it was a choice between a solid, working class existence or better and boxing, I would pass on the boxing.
ButtBread is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #12
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

I'd pass. I have more important things to do and I'm not desperate enough by any means.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553

Of course not
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #14
prelude
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Is this Froid.
prelude is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #15
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

Its a risk you know about before getting involved so yes ..
Imperial1 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum