Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
Sandokan32
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default How good was Cotto?

It doesnīt matter if he continues to fight or not. At 32 years old, I think itīs safe to say Miguel Cotto has basically done everything he could in this sport. His stamina is gone, and the elite at 154 will eat him alive.

Maybe he could return to 147, and maaaybe he could beat Tim Bradley, but that wouldnīt be a great accomplishment for him at this stage.

I seriously doubt we will see a "third prime" of Cotto, and now, boxing fans can objectively evaluate Cottoīs legacy.

I think his career was good. Very good. A notch below Trinidad, Benitez, Gomez and maybe Camacho. Better legacy than Chapo Rosario.

I remember I used to hate him in his early years at 140 (I hate almost every Puerto Rican fighter), but I recognized he was for real when he beat the shit out of Zab Judah when Judah was still relevant. And he beat a much, much better version of Shane Mosley than Mayweather or Pac. Yes... he beat Mosley, that was no robbery.

His resume has some solid names: Malignaggi, Bailey, Chop Chop, Judah, Mosley a nd Clottey. Also, beat shot versions of Mayorga and Margarito.

I rooted for Margarito in their first fight, but after the plaster scandal, i realized that probably Cotto was the victim of a great injustice.
Pacquiao was the first man to really beat Cotto in my eyes.

He was an elite fighter, who lost legitimally against the 2 best fighters in the world, and against the first real good light middleweight he faced in his career, in a division too big for him. No shame in that. A lock for the HOF.
Sandokan32 is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
HeGlassedMe
ufc is the new pet rock
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 109
Default Re: How good was Cotto?

Atg.
HeGlassedMe is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
Garrus
Big Boss 1935-2014
ESB Addict

Location: A Hero Forever Loyal To The Flames Of War, Rests in Outer Heaven
vCash: 157

A very good fighter.

Not an ATG or anything close to it but he was one of my favorites in this generation.

Always a professional.
Garrus is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

A very solid fighter with one of the better resumes of the last decade. Not a great, though. He fell short of greatness, but gave it his all.
JMP is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
AceNguyen
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Great fighter at one point. He was going to be considered by many P4P #1 if he beat Margarito. We'll never know if that was a fair fight or not.

I think his major problem was that he apparently partied hard and hated making weight, which in turn pushed him out of his proper weight class and hurt his longevity.
AceNguyen is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
pound
Coqui Radar
ESB Addict

hes getting into the HOF head first
pound is online now  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
Watson

vCash: 500

Solid B+, possibly A- fighter. Very good, but just short of the elite level
Watson is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
des3995
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 6005

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandokan32 View Post
it doesnīt matter if he continues to fight or not. At 32 years old, i think itīs safe to say miguel cotto has basically done everything he could in this sport. His stamina is gone, and the elite at 154 will eat him alive.

Maybe he could return to 147, and maaaybe he could beat tim bradley, but that wouldnīt be a great accomplishment for him at this stage.

I seriously doubt we will see a "third prime" of cotto, and now, boxing fans can objectively evaluate cottoīs legacy.

I think his career was good. Very good. A notch below trinidad, benitez, gomez and maybe camacho. Better legacy than chapo rosario.

I remember i used to hate him in his early years at 140 (i hate almost every puerto rican fighter), but i recognized he was for real when he beat the shit out of zab judah when judah was still relevant. And he beat a much, much better version of shane mosley than mayweather or pac. Yes... He beat mosley, that was no robbery.

His resume has some solid names: Malignaggi, bailey, chop chop, judah, mosley a nd clottey. Also, beat shot versions of mayorga and margarito.

I rooted for margarito in their first fight, but after the plaster scandal, i realized that probably cotto was the victim of a great injustice.
Pacquiao was the first man to really beat cotto in my eyes.

He was an elite fighter, who lost legitimally against the 2 best fighters in the world, and against the first real good light middleweight he faced in his career, in a division too big for him. No shame in that. A lock for the hof.
100%
des3995 is online now  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
Blackness
Danny Garcia Beat You...
ESB Senior Member

At 140... He was a beast. At 147 prior to plasterama....He was beast like. At 154, he gave Floyd a good fight but he is clearly not cut out for 154 at 32 years old and too many hard fights..

Cotto was once... THE MAN.
Blackness is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #10
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Very good fighter. I am not sure he gets into the HOF the first ballot. I would say no.. He will eventually maybe, matters who is up against him. His problem is he never beat a great.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #11
RobertV77
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He was a very classy contender. He has never won a legitimate World Championship.
RobertV77 is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #12
Genaro G
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 960

Whats special about Cotto is he was always in an exciting fight. Every single fight was fun to watch. Theres not many fighters you can say that about.
Genaro G is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #13
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

Definitely not great. Very good fighter who always gave it his all and had many memorable fights. He'll get in the HOF, and I've got no problem with that.

I think he should rank about on par with someone like Tszyu.
the cobra is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #14
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cobra View Post
I think he should rank about on par with someone like Evander Holyfield, but well below Wlad.
My sentiments exactly, cobra
JMP is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 10:25 PM   #15
Nonito Smoak
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandokan32 View Post
He was an elite fighter, who lost legitimally against the 2 best fighters in the world, and against the first real good light middleweight he faced in his career, in a division too big for him. No shame in that. A lock for the HOF.

Yuri Foreman was a good light middleweight. He was limited and styles favored Cotto heavily, but he was good.
Nonito Smoak is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum