boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 03:15 AM   #1
volkan
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,172
vCash: 86
Default So Danny Garcia and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez is now Showtime fighters? Dropped by HBO?

Are Danny Garcia and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez now Showtime fighters? Showtime sure do hype Saul Alvarez as their big fighter?

WTF just happened with HBO?
volkan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2012, 03:17 AM   #2
Nonito Smoak
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington State, USA
Posts: 18,458
vCash: 75
Default Re: So Danny Garcia and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez is now Showtime fighters? Dropped by HB

Since the lead boys got canned, they have kind of flip flopped.

Golden Boy working hard core with Showtime, with HBO doing Top Rank + certain Golden Boy fighters mostly those that they were previously invested in.
Nonito Smoak is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:17 AM   #3
kwilson71
#MAYDAY
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Houston,TX
Posts: 1,932
vCash: 75
Default Re: So Danny Garcia and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez is now Showtime fighters? Dropped by HB

Golden Boy
kwilson71 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:25 AM   #4
volkan
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,172
vCash: 86
Default Re: So Danny Garcia and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez is now Showtime fighters? Dropped by HB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilson71 View Post
Golden Boy
What you mean? Broner is also Golden Boy figther but on HBO.
volkan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:30 AM   #5
kwilson71
#MAYDAY
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Houston,TX
Posts: 1,932
vCash: 75
Default Re: So Danny Garcia and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez is now Showtime fighters? Dropped by HB

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkan View Post
What you mean? Broner is also Golden Boy figther but on HBO.
ever since Espinoza took over Showtime, Top Rank hasnt been able to do business with Showtime. GBP is trying to shift the power to Showtime from HBO. Some of there fighters are still HBO fighters though,like Broner,Berto,Floyd
kwilson71 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:36 AM   #6
volkan
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,172
vCash: 86
Default Re: So Danny Garcia and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez is now Showtime fighters? Dropped by HB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilson71 View Post
ever since Espinoza took over Showtime, Top Rank hasnt been able to do business with Showtime. GBP is trying to shift the power to Showtime from HBO. Some of there fighters are still HBO fighters though,like Broner,Berto,Floyd
Cool. Thanks man. Nice info. But everybody knows that the big names fight on HBO?

No disrespect to Showtime, but you see how much Floyd is hyping HBO every time.
volkan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:54 AM   #7
oibighead
G.O.A.T.
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London
Posts: 6,262
vCash: 75
Default Re: So Danny Garcia and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez is now Showtime fighters? Dropped by HB

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkan View Post
Cool. Thanks man. Nice info. But everybody knows that the big names fight on HBO?

No disrespect to Showtime, but you see how much Floyd is hyping HBO every time.
Floyd has at most two fights left
oibighead is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:59 AM   #8
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 7,788
vCash: 248
Default Re: So Danny Garcia and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez is now Showtime fighters? Dropped by HB

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkan View Post
Cool. Thanks man. Nice info. But everybody knows that the big names fight on HBO?

No disrespect to Showtime, but you see how much Floyd is hyping HBO every time.
Yeah but big names don't always equal good fights. HBO is and probably always will be the PPV king but Showtime is currently doing a great job of broadcasting good, entertaining fights between relatively lesser know fighters. Meanwhile, it appears that HBO has gotten a bit comfortable and has decided to focus on showcasing talent and building PPVs.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:33 AM   #9
UFgators
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 599
vCash: 75
Default Re: So Danny Garcia and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez is now Showtime fighters? Dropped by HB

Showtime has nowhere near the money HBO has, how long can they keep paying for these fights? They've always been second fiddle to HBO but with their increased amount of high profile fights they had to have upped their budget considerably.
UFgators is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:19 AM   #10
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 7,788
vCash: 248
Default Re: So Danny Garcia and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez is now Showtime fighters? Dropped by HB

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFgators View Post
Showtime has nowhere near the money HBO has, how long can they keep paying for these fights? They've always been second fiddle to HBO but with their increased amount of high profile fights they had to have upped their budget considerably.
They're counting on these higher profile fights(along with their pricing and agressive marketing) to generate more subscriptions long term.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:45 AM   #11
H .
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,418
vCash: 218
Default Re: So Danny Garcia and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez is now Showtime fighters? Dropped by HB

kinda reminds me of when tyson was on showtime. props to showtime, but hbo remains richer regardless...
H . is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:08 AM   #12
The Funny Man 7
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: here (duh!)
Posts: 3,240
vCash: 1326
Default Re: So Danny Garcia and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez is now Showtime fighters? Dropped by HB

Golden Boy is smartly investing in a serious partnership with Showtime with these major cards they're doing. Its a smart policy, building up Santa Cruz, Canelo, Mares, Jacobs etc on that network, while still putting on major cards on HBO.

Its a really smart policy in my eyes, because it effectively allows them to strangle out guys like Dibella, Gary Shaw, and Dan Goosen, the smaller guys who rely on Showtime dates to keep business going. Granted, its bad for the sport if those smaller promoters get driven out of business, since that would result in a Golden Boy/Top Rank split hegemony, but in the meantime Golden Boy is putting on some excellent cards to make their point.
The Funny Man 7 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:24 AM   #13
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
Posts: 10,232
vCash: 590
Default Re: So Danny Garcia and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez is now Showtime fighters? Dropped by HB

Mayweather & Top Rank = HBO
Golden Boy = Showtime.
ripcity is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:28 AM   #14
dodong
>>PACQUIAO<<
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 12,943
vCash: 115
Default Re: So Danny Garcia and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez is now Showtime fighters? Dropped by HB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Funny Man 7 View Post
Golden Boy is smartly investing in a serious partnership with Showtime with these major cards they're doing. Its a smart policy, building up Santa Cruz, Canelo, Mares, Jacobs etc on that network, while still putting on major cards on HBO.

Its a really smart policy in my eyes, because it effectively allows them to strangle out guys like Dibella, Gary Shaw, and Dan Goosen, the smaller guys who rely on Showtime dates to keep business going. Granted, its bad for the sport if those smaller promoters get driven out of business, since that would result in a Golden Boy/Top Rank split hegemony, but in the meantime Golden Boy is putting on some excellent cards to make their point.
gbp is going to ruin boxing.
dodong is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015