Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #61
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,830
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Guzman vs Arthur is such a mismatch

I will be cheering Arthur on 100% when he takes on Guzman - don't think I could ever not support a british boxer against a foreign opponent.
elle is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #62
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,477
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Guzman vs Arthur is such a mismatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt2006
Nope ricky did not deserve a shot at PBF. Hatton had done sweet FA at welter so why the fck let him fight PBF ? He struggled against Collazo and was gifted the decision. Hatton was not even fit to carry PBF's diamond encrusted jockstrap.

Saying that Hatton deserved to fight PBF is like saying Butterbean deserves to fight Wlad.
Been Linear champ at the weight below bypasses the deserved title shot argument.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:32 AM   #63
kurt2006
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,976
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Guzman vs Arthur is such a mismatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas
Been Linear champ at the weight below bypasses the deserved title shot argument.
Yup it does in my book. He was found short against Collazo and got a lucky decision so why let him fight the p4p king PBF ?

Haye is linear at CW does not mean he should bypass all the other HW's and get a shot at Wlad, or do you think he should ?
kurt2006 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:48 AM   #64
dwilson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Guzman vs Arthur is such a mismatch

Arthur will not make it past four rounds.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:01 AM   #65
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,477
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Guzman vs Arthur is such a mismatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt2006
Yup it does in my book. He was found short against Collazo and got a lucky decision so why let him fight the p4p king PBF ?

Haye is linear at CW does not mean he should bypass all the other HW's and get a shot at Wlad, or do you think he should ?
Yes i do... If you've proved to be top man at the weight then you should get a straight shot at the weight above or below if you can make the weight. History is full of examples of this happening. Not that I consider Wlad to be linear champion.

Last edited by a.arthur.h; 02-03-2007 at 04:38 PM.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:32 AM   #66
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,038
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Guzman vs Arthur is such a mismatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhands
dunky,iam a newb dosent mean ive got no knowledge of boxing,ok might not be as well schooled as you in boxing debtes but we all have 2 find our feet on the forum
Dont be ****in crazy hardhands, I dont class myself as any better than anyone else here.
I just get upset when some newbs come in & start acting like they own the place, I would never pick on posters just cos they had a certain number of posts.
All I want is that the new posters dont come in openly mocking the vets, its very disrespectful. When I first arrived here, I made sure for every statement I made, I had points to back it up with. & I judge people by my own high standards.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:48 PM   #67
"TKO"
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,703
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Guzman vs Arthur is such a mismatch

I don't know if I'd call it a mismatch, but I don't think Arthur will pull this one off. I hope I'm wrong as he seems like a decent sort. However, I think Guzman will probably box his way to a late stoppage or decision win. Nonetheless, Arthur has picked up the continental belt, beaten some decent fighters and is a reasonably worthy challenger.
"TKO" is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:53 PM   #68
Axl_Nose
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 824
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Guzman vs Arthur is such a mismatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
I would love to argue the point, but as you are one of these newbs, i wouldnt waste my time. There are loads of posters with under 100 posts in here screaming about the greatness of Guzman & the awfulness of Arthur, but as I know the vast majority of you newbs wont be around to take your medicine if Arthur upsets the odds Im keeping my arguments for the posters who deserve the debate.

Its nothing personal, but why should I waste my time arguing with posters without an ESB track record?
Get yourself respected first before you come out with the big statements.
& speaking of big statements, it bores me when I see people picking Guzman as if they are boxing gurus, for **** sake we all know that Guzman is the betting favourite.

Its like me trying to act smug cos I picked Mayweather to beat Hatton, when in reality there is no smugness to be had. Mayweather was a hot favourite before the fight, & he proved it in the ring. You dont see me screaming in all the threads about me predicting Mayweather would win like I am some sort of ****ing boxing know-all, its easy to pick a winner when you are talking about a P4P fighter fighting a boxer from these shores.
& I have even been honest enough to admit that even though Guzman is P4P in many peoples eyes, hes no Mayweather.
So thats why even if Arthur pulls off the upset, I wont be in here kidding everyone on that Arthur is the greatest fighter on the planet.

In my eyes its a big ask for Arthur to win, but he can if things go his way. For newbies to start shitty threads like this calling it 'the mismatch of all time' just ****in angers me as its so disrespectful to Arthur, & his fans on here.
If I am wrong then fair enough, but for some newb to scream about a Guzman points victory like they are telling us all something we dont know here already i.e that Guzman is a fine fighter & hard to beat? Its an insult IMO to the posters here who debate shit like this every day on here.

Oh, & I noticed you were 'formerly' someone else, but I cant remember your former self either, with all due respect. Thats the drink for you I suppose!
Dunky please dont presume you know more about boxing than other people just because you have posted more 'comments' on a website, that is ridiculous, just because you've posted 4000 odd times doesnt mean we should all bow down to you, it just means that you have more time on your hands than alot of people, i personally think your attitude that new people on this website dont know as much as you is insulting, i can comfortably confirm that i know far more than you on the subject of boxing but i respect your opinions, you should really quit saying stupid things like

'Arthur can win if things go his way' - wow i really needed a veteran poster to inform me of that

And what is an ESB track record ?? Im here to tell you Dunky that Arthur has zero chance in this fight, thats not a debate starter , I AM TELLING YOU A FACT, so dont start covering all the angles and weaseling out of your opinions by saying, 'Guzman is the betting favourite, but if things go Arthurs way he can win' , you cant go wrong with an opinion like that. I have 70 odd posts because im a busy man, but i would quite willingly debate you on any issue in boxing history from John L Sullivan, Jack Johnson, Greb, Dempsey, Tunney, through the 30s to Marciano, Robinson right on to Leonard, Pryor and through to present day. Ive just finished reading an original copy of Harry Carpenters 1964 debut book 'Masters of Boxing' which is a fantastic read and im half way through another great 60s book called 'Champions and Challengers' which is great for a 60s perspective on things, for example the author states that an Australian featherweight called Young Griffo was far better than Willie Pep who in many peoples eyes is a top 3 PFP of all time, now if you wanna start a debate on Griffo then you may get me because my knowledge on him is nothing but i'll rectify that. Dunky i think you know nothing, and your arrogant attitude towards new people in here hides the fact that your not confident in your positions, you should respect everyones opinions on here because theres always something to learn about this great sport, im guessing your about 16 or 17 by the way you get emotional and start criticising people on here who disagree with you, you certainly sound like a child sometimes .. Anyway i'll pop up now and again to break down your arguments and to fill in some of the blanks in your 'knowledge', and i use the word knowledge very loosely ..... heres my first tip , stop saying Arthur has a chance, it loses you all credibility with people who know about boxing .. Try and make your reply to this like an adult, too often you sound like a stroppy teenager and i dont converse with them
Axl_Nose is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:18 PM   #69
kerrminator
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,648
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Guzman vs Arthur is such a mismatch

Dunky didnt at any time imply being a newb means you dont know boxing and I find it somewhat amusing that a certain few are taking it that way, but hey, the world is full of allsorts eh lol

However, with all due respect just because you've read a few boxing books (who here hasnt tbh) or have a bit of insight into the history of the sweet science doesnt mean you know more than dunky (maybe you do and maybe you dont but one things for sure imo....Dunky knows his boxing and never says anything he doesnt believe is the truth. During this thread there has been some posters who have not only dissed a fighter, but have dissed a nation of people and that deserves a heated reply imo.

ps. for the record, I reckon Dunky can be more than comfortable with his knowledge of boxing also so I'd look before you leap so to speak
kerrminator is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:08 AM   #70
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,038
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Guzman vs Arthur is such a mismatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhands
i never did mock any vets,read my posts,but dunky my freind dont be scared of the newbs thats coming through,didnt say you thought you were better than anyone else,just said you might be more schooled at debating than us newbs.

I liked your line "dont be scared of the newbs thats comin through" nice one
& Hardhands my friend, I never said you mocked any regulars! I was just generalising.
Look. Seems we got off on the wrong foot for some reason, but welcome to the forum hardhands, & hope you enjoy yer stay.
Tell us a bit about yourself, are you from the UK? & whose yer favourite fighters & so on & so forth.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:44 AM   #71
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,038
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Guzman vs Arthur is such a mismatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl_Nose
Dunky please dont presume you know more about boxing than other people just because you have posted more 'comments' on a website, that is ridiculous, just because you've posted 4000 odd times doesnt mean we should all bow down to you, it just means that you have more time on your hands than alot of people, i personally think your attitude that new people on this website dont know as much as you is insulting, i can comfortably confirm that i know far more than you on the subject of boxing but i respect your opinions, you should really quit saying stupid things like

'Arthur can win if things go his way' - wow i really needed a veteran poster to inform me of that

And what is an ESB track record ?? Im here to tell you Dunky that Arthur has zero chance in this fight, thats not a debate starter , I AM TELLING YOU A FACT, so dont start covering all the angles and weaseling out of your opinions by saying, 'Guzman is the betting favourite, but if things go Arthurs way he can win' , you cant go wrong with an opinion like that. I have 70 odd posts because im a busy man, but i would quite willingly debate you on any issue in boxing history from John L Sullivan, Jack Johnson, Greb, Dempsey, Tunney, through the 30s to Marciano, Robinson right on to Leonard, Pryor and through to present day. Ive just finished reading an original copy of Harry Carpenters 1964 debut book 'Masters of Boxing' which is a fantastic read and im half way through another great 60s book called 'Champions and Challengers' which is great for a 60s perspective on things, for example the author states that an Australian featherweight called Young Griffo was far better than Willie Pep who in many peoples eyes is a top 3 PFP of all time, now if you wanna start a debate on Griffo then you may get me because my knowledge on him is nothing but i'll rectify that. Dunky i think you know nothing, and your arrogant attitude towards new people in here hides the fact that your not confident in your positions, you should respect everyones opinions on here because theres always something to learn about this great sport, im guessing your about 16 or 17 by the way you get emotional and start criticising people on here who disagree with you, you certainly sound like a child sometimes .. Anyway i'll pop up now and again to break down your arguments and to fill in some of the blanks in your 'knowledge', and i use the word knowledge very loosely ..... heres my first tip , stop saying Arthur has a chance, it loses you all credibility with people who know about boxing .. Try and make your reply to this like an adult, too often you sound like a stroppy teenager and i dont converse with them
man, where do I start with this post?
For starters, you say you cant post as much as me cos 'you are a busy man' but if your that busy, then how have you got time to sit reading all those boxing books then

Right. So you are here to tell me that "ARTHUR HAS ZERO CHANCE IN THIS FIGHT & THATS A FACT"
Well, I thought you would have read in one of your many boxing books now that theres no such thing as a sure thing, its boxing, & one punch can change a fight. Remember how big an underdog Bert Cooper was against Holyfield, but he came within a whisker of knocking out Evander? One punch can change everything my man. Theres no such thing as a sure thing in boxing.
& Im not weasling out of anything, but if Arthur does certain things, carries a bit of luck on the night then he can win this fight. How am I 'weasling' by saying Guzman is a betting favourite, but I think Arthur can pull it off? Im backing the underdog to for crying out loud, if backing the underdog to pull of the upset is 'weaseling' then **** knows what putting your neck on the line is in your eyes.

Im not stupid though, I know its a big ask for Arthur to beat Guzman. Just cos I think he can, doesnt mean thats whats going to happen.Im only human, & have got predictions wrong before.

As for the rest of your post, I think the red mist came down. Cos in one early sentence you told me "I respect your opinion" & then later on in the post you said "I think you know nothing" & then the rest was a rant about my mental age & stuff...
Then you call me arrogant, but then go onto tell me how you are going to come in when you feel like it & wipe the floor with me with your superior boxing knowledge to mine that you "know" you have.

When it comes to spouting off about an arrogant attitude, maybe you need take a look in the mirror fella before pointing accusing fingers at others. I accused you of being disrespectful, & I have seen nothing to convince me I was wrong from your vindictive reply.

Now go read your books, & feel free to come in anytime when you think you can 'put me in my place'

chase me with your big book of boxing knowledge
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:46 PM   #72
girv
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 495
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Guzman vs Arthur is such a mismatch

I thought that the fight had to be agreed within 10 days of purse bids (31st January) but I cant remember where I read it.

Does anyone know? I'm still not convinced Guzman will come over here.
girv is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:25 PM   #73
Nemesis
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: nil satis nisi optimum
Posts: 825
vCash: 75
Default Re: Guzman vs Arthur is such a mismatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
man, where do I start with this post?
For starters, you say you cant post as much as me cos 'you are a busy man' but if your that busy, then how have you got time to sit reading all those boxing books then

Right. So you are here to tell me that "ARTHUR HAS ZERO CHANCE IN THIS FIGHT & THATS A FACT"
Well, I thought you would have read in one of your many boxing books now that theres no such thing as a sure thing, its boxing, & one punch can change a fight. Remember how big an underdog Bert Cooper was against Holyfield, but he came within a whisker of knocking out Evander? One punch can change everything my man. Theres no such thing as a sure thing in boxing.
& Im not weasling out of anything, but if Arthur does certain things, carries a bit of luck on the night then he can win this fight. How am I 'weasling' by saying Guzman is a betting favourite, but I think Arthur can pull it off? Im backing the underdog to for crying out loud, if backing the underdog to pull of the upset is 'weaseling' then **** knows what putting your neck on the line is in your eyes.

Im not stupid though, I know its a big ask for Arthur to beat Guzman. Just cos I think he can, doesnt mean thats whats going to happen.Im only human, & have got predictions wrong before.

As for the rest of your post, I think the red mist came down. Cos in one early sentence you told me "I respect your opinion" & then later on in the post you said "I think you know nothing" & then the rest was a rant about my mental age & stuff...
Then you call me arrogant, but then go onto tell me how you are going to come in when you feel like it & wipe the floor with me with your superior boxing knowledge to mine that you "know" you have.

When it comes to spouting off about an arrogant attitude, maybe you need take a look in the mirror fella before pointing accusing fingers at others. I accused you of being disrespectful, & I have seen nothing to convince me I was wrong from your vindictive reply.

Now go read your books, & feel free to come in anytime when you think you can 'put me in my place'

chase me with your big book of boxing knowledge
Dunky, if only there was a "calm down, calm down" emoticon

this'll have to do...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Nemesis is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013