Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-05-2008, 04:28 PM   #46
Vanboxingfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Single Most Overrated Fighter...

I think Ali's over rated, not in a career accomplishment sense perhaps, although I personally discount his wins against Liston probably more than most (due to Liston's age and the second fight, just wasn't right), but in a h2h sense.

Sure he could beat most ATG's hell maybe he could beat them all, who knows? But when any mythical matchups are discussed his close fights seem to get discounted completely and without factoring them into debates about ATG H2H battles it skews the analysis.
Vanboxingfan is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2008, 04:54 PM   #47
radianttwilight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Archie Moore (at heavyweight), but that's only because he got ducked like the plague at middle/lightheavy.

He could've been a top-tier middleweight ATG if he'd been given the chances, IMO.
radianttwilight is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 05:01 PM   #48
rendog67
The firestarter
ESB Senior Member

ODH for me
rendog67 is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 05:25 PM   #49
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by radianttwilight
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Archie Moore (at heavyweight),
Consider your limb splayed out in an uncomfortable position.

Moore actualy did quite a good number on the heavyweight rankings.

If you are critical of Rocky Marciano's competition as champion then you have Archie Moore to thank for it. He kept the upcoming generation of heavyweights in check.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 05:33 PM   #50
radianttwilight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
Consider your limb splayed out in an uncomfortable position.

Moore actualy did quite a good number on the heavyweight rankings.

If you are critical of Rocky Marciano's competition as champion then you have Archie Moore to thank for it. He kept the upcoming generation of heavyweights in check.
Admittedly it was a poor example - I was trying to find someone other than Dempsey to mention
radianttwilight is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 05:46 PM   #51
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic
Wilfred Benitez. His best win was against a Druan who was fighting way above his natural weight. His other two big wins were SD's and in 30 rounds against Ray and Tommy he won a combined 8 rounds at the most.

In case people missed it... I hate having posts so close to the bottom of a page.
Considering what he accomplished being lazy, and how young he did some of those things at, Benitez is pretty amazing.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 05:59 PM   #52
warchild
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1
Tony Ayala Jr. or Mark Breland.
Spot on.

Breland was touted as the next Sugar Ray Robinson, but after beating a string of no-hopers and winning a vacant title against a bogus opponent, was stopped in his first title defense. The thing that is the most sickening though, is that Breland was made the favorite in the rematch against Starling, and then was given a draw after being on the canvas something like seven times....one of the very worst decisions ever.

Tony Ayala is still highly touted to this day based on "what could have been"....well....never happened. Give it up guys. Ayala was a bully who's best assets in the ring were rage and intimidation....he was, at best, on the level of Lloyd Honeyghan or Ricardo Mayorga....and I seriously doubt if he was even close to that good.
warchild is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 06:04 PM   #53
sthomas
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfkill
Bullshit.

Leonard beat Duran, you failed to mention that. You failed to mention he beat Duran twice. Also what you failed to mention is that he was the first guy to not only beat Thomas Hearns but first dude to stop Hearns too. You also forgot to mention yes he beat a past his prime Hagler, but moved up to Middleweight to do so. Leonard had also been coming off a layoff, that's very impressive whichever way you look at it.

So there it is, his resume is: Duran x2, Hearns, Hagler, and Wilfred Benitez. Overrated? **** off thn.

Guess I hit a nerve here!!!! I Didn't forget anything, I said he was great. His accomplishments speak for themsleves. In fact I think he's an alltime great, that does not mean he's beyond speculatation. The Haglar fight was an impressive upset, but not without controversy, and not on the scale of great upsets of all time. Just mentioned some ? marks in his career. Nothing more, nothing less.
sthomas is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 08:51 PM   #54
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthomas
Guess I hit a nerve here!!!! I Didn't forget anything, I said he was great. His accomplishments speak for themsleves. In fact I think he's an alltime great, that does not mean he's beyond speculatation. The Haglar fight was an impressive upset, but not without controversy, and not on the scale of great upsets of all time. Just mentioned some ? marks in his career. Nothing more, nothing less.
Sorry about seeming to aggressive in my response. I just read it back to myself, and I was obviously pissed at the time.

Still, Leonard is a top 10 ATG.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 10:00 PM   #55
Sizzle
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase2483
Stirring the pot again:

Ricky Hatton

I don't think he's going to be rated very highly historically. I'd pick Zab Judah to stop him.

Roy Jones Jnr in my opinion, is the single most overrated fighter in history.
Sizzle is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2008, 07:30 AM   #56
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic
In case people missed it... I hate having posts so close to the bottom of a page.
Would you say the split verdict was fair vs Cervantes or are you boxrecing?
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2008, 07:43 AM   #57
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle
Roy Jones Jnr in my opinion, is the single most overrated fighter in history.
Regarding an all-time P4P sense he may well be overrated (by some). Most overrated fighter in history, though? Nah, far from it.

Last edited by Olz15; 01-31-2007 at 12:17 AM.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2008, 08:04 AM   #58
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2137

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmt
no he not.

Who in ur opinion outboxed Foreman during his prime (he was not in his prime vs Young btw). Even Ali could not avoid his punches, and Ali had an extremely tough chin so he survided, many others would not.
He was close enough to be considered in his prime v Young. Maybe not at his peak, but surely still a prime Foreman.
Ali did a fine job in the first round (and maybe the 2nd too, I forget now) but it was the heat that forced him to adopt a different strategy in the end.

Let's put it this way - every time Foreman lost, prime or otherwise, he was outboxed.

Last edited by DanePugilist; 01-31-2007 at 12:32 AM.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2008, 10:06 AM   #59
sthomas
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfkill
Sorry about seeming to aggressive in my response. I just read it back to myself, and I was obviously pissed at the time.

Still, Leonard is a top 10 ATG.

No problem. I appreciate your response. I was not trying to be a wise ass with Leonard. I too have him +/- top 10 ATG. The greater the fighter the harder he is to rank and that's what makes it interesting to me. Take SRR, considered by most as #1 ATG. I rank Ali #1 and SRR #2. So in my analysis SRR would be slightly overrated, but not by much.
sthomas is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum