Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-04-2008, 05:44 AM   #1
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Has anyone changed the mind about Khan after this weekend??

i already rated him very highly, but has anyone changed his mind.

I know st clair is not a huge puncher but he hit him clean 4 or 5 times!
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2008, 06:10 AM   #2
box-now
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Has anyone changed the mind about Khan after this weekend??

i think he boxed well, but st clair was never there to win just for the money and you could see that, i still very much doubt his chin and will not change untill he gets hit of a puncher.
box-now is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2008, 06:19 AM   #3
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

I thought he looked more mature; he certainly boxed more intelligently, if more cautiously, choosing to go toe-to-toe with St Clair only when the latter kept his hands down, having punched himself out. It remains unclear how good his chin is and I have seen nothing to make me think he has confidence in it.
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2008, 06:41 AM   #4
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

As daft as it sounds been a shut out over a world class opponent but I was pretty disappointed. I'm not a negative person but that for me was pretty boring and not particuarly pretty in a sense that the quality of the boxing was not very pleasing to watch. There was no real method to what he was doing and he was very amateurish at times.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2008, 08:34 AM   #5
The Lads
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Enjoyed it, loved his lateral movement and disagree with whoever said St Clair didnt come to win.

Biggest prospect in the UK by a country mile. "Whos next?".
The Lads is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #6
spenno

i thought kahn had good movement, and he was pretty active throughout the whole 12 rounds...
for me his chin is still in question though, while he did get smacked upside the head a few times it didn't look too bad.

just bring on thaxton already....
spenno is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2008, 09:29 AM   #7
steelem
Contender
ESB Senior Member

yet another opponent who doesnt know how to punch - as soon as we see some better opposition then we may be able to comment how good khan is but at present the only man able to punch khan was when he was in the olympics & khan lost - frank ****** just keeps fixing these fights against no hopers & the public get conned for there tickets once again!!!
steelem is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2008, 10:57 AM   #8
UKFightFan
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas
As daft as it sounds been a shut out over a world class opponent but I was pretty disappointed. I'm not a negative person but that for me was pretty boring and not particuarly pretty in a sense that the quality of the boxing was not very pleasing to watch. There was no real method to what he was doing and he was very amateurish at times.
I agree. I constantly wanted Khan to do more. I think he did show a lot of control in the performance and did not take any risks. Going by Mayweather's philosophy, the goal is to hit and not be hit and do enough to win the rounds. For a neutral wathching though this was frustrating as I think he could have looked a lot more dominant had he wanted to.

I agree with everyone else in that St. Clair is not a big hitter so we did not actually learn whether he is increasing his punch resistance. We need to see him against a known puncher and see how he handles himself.

Really don't care to see him fight Thaxton. He is purely British level and Khan is definately above this level. Other than shutting up a rival I see no point in the fight. I'd rather see Khan go towards the European title.
UKFightFan is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2008, 11:00 AM   #9
The Lads
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelem
yet another opponent who doesnt know how to punch - as soon as we see some better opposition then we may be able to comment how good khan is but at present the only man able to punch khan was when he was in the olympics & khan lost - frank ****** just keeps fixing these fights against no hopers & the public get conned for there tickets once again!!!
Who has a better resume following 15 fights and a mere 10 or 12 senior am fights?
The Lads is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2008, 11:40 AM   #10
steelem
Contender
ESB Senior Member

theyve all been hand picked - especially an ex world champ who cant punch its laughable
steelem is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2008, 11:54 AM   #11
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

I haven't made my mind up about Khan yet so the jury is still out for me.

Thought St Clair was a decent learning fight for Khan at this stage and the fact it went the distance gave him some much needed rounds.

I didn't particularly enjoy watching the fight as St Clair was far too passive (particularly during the early rounds) as a challenger and seemed to spend most of the time hiding behind his high guard.
elle is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2008, 11:59 AM   #12
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxstuff
I think that's the problem - he's not against someone where he really has to show he can fight. He's very stiff and frequently relies on his speed to carry him through.
What should he do fight really slowly. Hatton relies on pressure, Haye relies on power, calzaghe relies on work rate. Sugar Ray Leonard relied on speed. all fighter rely on there best attributes especially if that attribute is one of the best ones to have!

and a fighter that doesn't handpick his opponents.............otherwise known as a journeyman!
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2008, 12:11 PM   #13
steelem
Contender
ESB Senior Member

he should fight the best britain has - easy - become a known british fighter then conquer the world !!
steelem is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #14
Alex_NA_Exile
Journeyman

I think it was a good fight for Khan. However, I can understand that certin ppl may have been disappointed because it did fail to excite. But i think that was as a result of a very mature fight from Khan.

I also think that St Clair could be given a little credit because he was doing things in there that actually MADE Khan respect him. Khan responded in a mature way to keep St Clair away from him while continuing to win the points.

I know not getting knocked out comes natural for St Clair but he was definitly a class opponent and it was a good clean win for Khan becuase of that.
Alex_NA_Exile is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2008, 01:24 PM   #15
Smith
Monzon-like
ESB Addict

vCash: 484

St Clairs is a crafty little fighter with excellent defence, so on the grand scale of things, it was a solid 'resume' win.

If Khans next opponent is Romanov or another top ten LW, there can be no arguments on his recent opponents, as his last 3 would read Earl, then st.clair then romanov/another good LW.
Smith is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum