Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 12-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

vCash: 500
Arrow Miguel Cotto ''The Last of the Mohicans''

Was how Floyd Mayweather described the Boricuan warrior after there gruelling bout earlier in the year in which Mayweather won via a points decision.

Last night we saw Cotto for the first time ever lose two back to back fights against the unheralded Austin Trout. Trout for years has gone under the radar until last night. Always a willing traveller he relished stepping into Madison Square Garden or as some like to call it Little Rico.

I had my worries about this fight when i watched clips of Trout a long limbed southpaw who had a fine amatuer pedigree as well as being a accomplished and mature pro. Cotto's interview in the All Access left me concerned as he shed tears his dual role as fighter and father.

Cotto's camp also seemed strange with him going to big bear only to head back with weeks to go to his HQ to finish preparation. Fight night and i never got the impression it was like the other special MSG nights that Cotto had provided us with. Still sold loads of tickets but the event was lower key then a year ago this month when he exacted revenge upon Margarito.

Trout boxed beautifully for the most part, It was his ''coming out party'' and will hopefully catapult him into a major fight with Saul Alvarez but i'd suspect Canelo's people may not fancy Trout on there menu.

For Cotto he's not shot but he's not what he once was. It was a horrible fight to take and was ill advised really. But as ever Miguel Cotto in a era of ducking and side stepping stepped to the mantle and risked his name in order to capture another world title and sadly fell short in more ways then one.

What now for Cotto?. One final big fight at MSG in the summer to say goodbye?. Or do you feel it's just time to say goodbye and do what he intended to do two years ago and retire.

Personally was gutted last night, was disgusted by the 119-109 card it was a bitch slap to Miguel's pride but the man of the moment was Trout who like Cotto is a charming family man. No airs or graces just a talented boxer who loves his family and his life.

As ever with boxing the old lion will at some point sucumb to the younger lion.

Why do i love Cotto as a fighter?. Controlled yet fiesty, fragile yet destructive. Humble yet edgy. The man has entertained for years and i for one hope he has one final fight and leaves in the right way. Winning .

Anyways always a sad one watching Miguel lose but lets enjoy the greater moments of the action packed career of Miguel Angel Cotto!.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa9ItX6vBx4[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU5tOkYYjLY[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56ejsX_9Yn4[/ame]
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Miguel Cotto ''The Last of the Mohicans''

i could see cotto having a few huge paydays left on the back of his name....in a similar way mosley has done....there will be a lot who'll want cotto's name on their cv
doug.ie is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

That's the worry Doug, Don't want him to do what Mosley did i'd rather him call it quits now rather then take more fights which could be more punishing.

When i saw that interview i worried it looked like a guy on way out mentally and that's never a good thing when facing a guy like Trout who's not even really started yet. He's a guy bang up for the sport.

Cotto's got his promotional company, The young lad last night who battered poor old Salvador Sanchez II looked promising and has got himself a fight with Ponce De Leon so Cotto's already got a bright looking company.

If he is to fight on i want educated matchmaking but that's not boxing sadly.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru

yeah.
doug.ie is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885

shameful pun in there Skills

"Canelo's people may not fancy Trout on their menu"

The rest of your post I enjoyed and feel the same. Hes had his big pay days no point leaving the sport ruined, its not like hes avoided tough fights.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Sorry but couldn't help myself, was angling for a wee bite..

I'll grab my coat .
Old 12-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #7
Earl-hickey
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 765

I give cotto a lot of respect for fighting everyone.

Personally I always thought his fans rated him a little higher than he really was. HBO knew they could make money off him and always made sure he had a path to bounce back from defeats

His all action style made him fun to watch, and he will probably go into the HOF
Earl-hickey is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #8
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
Sorry but couldn't help myself, was angling for a wee bite..

I'll grab my coat .
I think its for the best if you take some time away to think about what you've done here.

You were clearly inspired by the Munroe garbage pun.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 02:12 AM   #9
tmsbry
ESB Addict

vCash: 14400

Cotto was the smaller guy against Trout, yet he had to train in sauna suits to make weight, he's either not as disciplined as he was years ago or his body has just been through to much.
tmsbry is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 02:27 AM   #10
Earl-hickey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsbry View Post
Cotto was the smaller guy against Trout, yet he had to train in sauna suits to make weight, he's either not as disciplined as he was years ago or his body has just been through to much.
I think discipline may have always been a problem for him, he accelerated through the weights pretty quick and should never have been above 147 really imo
Old 12-03-2012, 05:17 AM   #11
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

Don't know about you guys, but I actually think Trout was a cherry-pick gone wrong. In him he saw an average southpaw he thought he could take a world title from with no problems. But of course in hindsight, we now know differently.

My advice to Cotto -- if he can't be bothered coming down to 147 -- would be to use his name to bring welterweights up to fight him. Guys like Berto, Ortiz, etc, would gladly jump up a division to enjoy sharing the limelight off him.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 05:31 AM   #12
Jack Dempsey
Legend
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Classy post Skills, love Cotto and was sad to see him lose

Would hate to see Cotto turn into a 'name' on up and comers records
Jack Dempsey is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 06:14 AM   #13
Earl-hickey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Don't know about you guys, but I actually think Trout was a cherry-pick gone wrong. In him he saw an average southpaw he thought he could take a world title from with no problems. But of course in hindsight, we now know differently.

My advice to Cotto -- if he can't be bothered coming down to 147 -- would be to use his name to bring welterweights up to fight him. Guys like Berto, Ortiz, etc, would gladly jump up a division to enjoy sharing the limelight off him.
This

I thought Trout would win the fight and it was a stupid decision, but i guess they saw one fight of him on youtube and thought he'd be easy work
Old 12-03-2012, 07:02 AM   #14
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post

Agree with the cherry pick gone wrong part compeltely. I almost forgot about the fight because I hadn't seen any of trout so it just sounded like an easy way for him to win a belt.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 07:24 AM   #15
Peter__1987

vCash:

One of my favourite fighters of all time. opening post summed him up perfectly.

Cotto = Warrior.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum