Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #31
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LosAngeles
Posts: 12,499
vCash: 75
Default Re: How many years did Margarito's wraps take off Cotto's career?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza12 View Post
Margarito was found with plaster of paris? Nope. He cheated against Miguel Cotto? Nope. Go and check the facts if you are uncertain. If you are still retarded enough to think that a fighter would put actual building material on his hands and then punch something for 40 minutes.....read the article I attach.

"Boxing Illustrated conducted an experiment to test whether it was possible to use plaster of paris successfully under fighting conditions. The results were reported in the May 1964 issue of BI, pp 20-24, 66. Hugh Benbow and Perry Payne (manager and trainer of Cleveland Williams) used plaster of paris on Cleveland's hands...Cleveland Williams hit the heavy bag five times. Benbow examined the wraps and found that the plaster had cracked and crumbled. "This stuff." said Cleve, "wouldn't do anybody any good."

"The Boxing Illustrated test proved beyond a reasonable doubt that the plaster of paris would not have held up after the first punch, it would have crumbled and left chunks in his mitts and every punch thereafter would have been quite painful and there is little doubt he would have broken his hands. The inventor of the product issued a statement as to the impossibility of using plaster of paris without breaking all the bones in the hands."

But yeah, forget the fact Cotto ate left uppercuts, sat on the ropes and chose to trade with the bigger man that night in Vegas. Forget that a Mosley-beaten, two years inactive, one-eyed, 33 year old Margarito still gave Cotto problems last year. It all fits a lot nicer then, doesn't it?

Below is the article, for anyone who actually cares.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
I doubt Boricuas would want to read this.


The only thing Margarito is guilty of attempting to use vs Mosley is old used up knuckelpads that had been previously worn many times and as a result compressed and made to feel more dense than a regular unused knucklepad would feel like.
Actually people that got to feel that alleged knucklepad described it as not hard, but more densed than just normal gauze.

The density of it was from all the sweat bestowed upon it from previous use. The sweat and punching done with it had compressed the knucklepad, and its possible more guaze was added to that used knucklepad to fill it up from its compressed state.

Its is illegal to use such knucklepad and its possible it would have given him a slight advantage had he used it vs Mosley, just not the advantage alot of people claim it would have given him that point to it as having been plaster.

Great find Bazza. If you really think about it, having hard plaster in your wraps works against the fighter thats carrying it, because its going to do damage and fracture your own hands.
Exellent!
divac is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #32
realsoulja
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,001
vCash: 0
Default Re: How many years did Margarito's wraps take off Cotto's career?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
realsoulja is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:02 AM   #33
bazza12
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,247
vCash: 475
Default Re: How many years did Margarito's wraps take off Cotto's career?

Quote:
Originally Posted by divac View Post
I doubt Boricuas would want to read this.


The only thing Margarito is guilty of attempting to use vs Mosley is old used up knuckelpads that had been previously worn many times and as a result compressed and made to feel more dense than a regular unused knucklepad would feel like.
Actually people that got to feel that alleged knucklepad described it as not hard, but more densed than just normal gauze.

The density of it was from all the sweat bestowed upon it from previous use. The sweat and punching done with it had compressed the knucklepad, and its possible more guaze was added to that used knucklepad to fill it up from its compressed state.

Its is illegal to use such knucklepad and its possible it would have given him a slight advantage had he used it vs Mosley, just not the advantage alot of people claim it would have given him that point to it as having been plaster.

Great find Bazza. If you really think about it, having hard plaster in your wraps works against the fighter thats carrying it, because its going to do damage and fracture your own hands.
Exellent!
Cheers Divac, I always contribute to these kind of threads, yet Margarito-bashers never really seem open to discussion with me, interesting...

I've always thought if the commission found "plaster of paris" within Margarito's handwraps they would have just said that. They would not have said "elements of substances found in plaster of paris".

Basically, this topic is closed. People's opinions are so forged in their emotions they cannot possibly consider anyone else's argument. Hence why these threads die a quick death when people such as ourselves show up with a semblance of a balanced argument.
bazza12 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:05 AM   #34
randy brown
$$$
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 935
vCash: 250
Default Re: How many years did Margarito's wraps take off Cotto's career?

took some off but ultimately cotto gained them back upon revenge
randy brown is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:16 AM   #35
MichiganWarrior
Still Slick! Still Black!
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: G Rap
Posts: 13,408
vCash: 571
Default Re: How many years did Margarito's wraps take off Cotto's career?

Cottos a a ability to take a punch was never the same. Mosley landed tons of flush rights on Cotto. Yet a few punches from Mayweather and trout and he swells up like a purple balloon.

Mayweather landed 3 rights in Cotto in the 1st and his head was already bruised


That's the significance of the Margarito fight. Paper face hereafter
MichiganWarrior is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:21 AM   #36
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 28,502
vCash: 5000
Default Re: How many years did Margarito's wraps take off Cotto's career?

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy brown View Post
took some off but ultimately cotto gained them back upon revenge
Not really, like hittin' the Prom queen 20+ years later +45lbs.
Hatesrats is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #37
pejevan
inmate No. 1363917
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 9,090
vCash: 1343
Default Re: How many years did Margarito's wraps take off Cotto's career?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatesrats View Post
Not really, like hittin' the Prom queen 20+ years later +45lbs.
On the same note, you gained 20 years and 70 pounds too. All things being equal, it is still a sweet revenge.
pejevan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:29 AM   #38
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 28,502
vCash: 5000
Default Re: How many years did Margarito's wraps take off Cotto's career?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejevan View Post
On the same note, you gained 20 years and 70 pounds too. All things being equal, it is still a sweet revenge.
Ha!
Hatesrats is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:02 AM   #39
markq
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 5,234
vCash: 500
Default Re: How many years did Margarito's wraps take off Cotto's career?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
This garbage again? Let's look at facts. Nevada is not California. The Nevada commission brings in a sealed bag and nothing goes on your hands that doesn't come from the sealed bag that the commission is standing there overseeing. The difference between fight one and fight two was the damage that Pac had done to Margo's eye. I'm a Cotto supporter but was seeing the second fight turn the same way the first one had. That is why Margo was begging for it to go on. If he did the same comeback with the same Cotto collapse it would have been vindication for the first fight.

Was Cotto damaged goods after that fight? Yes. Was it from loaded wraps? Probably not.
The difference is Margarito is 0-3 against quality opponents since being caught with BRICKS! You have to be bordering on Pactardness to not see this cheat for what he was.
markq is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #40
Hermit
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bumfuck, Egypt
Posts: 22,194
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How many years did Margarito's wraps take off Cotto's career?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWarrior View Post
Cottos a a ability to take a punch was never the same. Mosley landed tons of flush rights on Cotto. Yet a few punches from Mayweather and trout and he swells up like a purple balloon.

Mayweather landed 3 rights in Cotto in the 1st and his head was already bruised


That's the significance of the Margarito fight. Paper face hereafter
Floored again I see.
Hermit is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:10 AM   #41
Hermit
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bumfuck, Egypt
Posts: 22,194
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How many years did Margarito's wraps take off Cotto's career?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markq View Post
The difference is Margarito is 0-3 against quality opponents since being caught with BRICKS! You have to be bordering on Pactardness to not see this cheat for what he was.
His first real fight back was Pac that forever ruined his face. You have a point?
Hermit is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:43 AM   #42
pejevan
inmate No. 1363917
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 9,090
vCash: 1343
Default Re: How many years did Margarito's wraps take off Cotto's career?

Based on scienyific study, it reduced cotto's career by 1 year, 2 months, 13 days, 13hours, 42 minutes & 31 second..

I cant be more precise than that and if you want to debate, talk to the hand.
pejevan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:48 AM   #43
floyd_g.o.a.t
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,975
vCash: 75
Default Re: How many years did Margarito's wraps take off Cotto's career?

We will never ever know.
floyd_g.o.a.t is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:17 AM   #44
igor_otsky
Undefeated
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: you is you is
Posts: 6,807
vCash: 75
Default Re: How many years did Margarito's wraps take off Cotto's career?

thanks bazza for the good read. however, he was still banned for a year for illegal wraps.
igor_otsky is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:53 AM   #45
ryan_c
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,513
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How many years did Margarito's wraps take off Cotto's career?

How come Cotto is already a damage good after the Cotto fight? Pacquiao has been TKO twice early in his career, has brutal wars with Morales, Margarito , Cotto and JMM and much older than Cotto, get the point?
ryan_c is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013