Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 02-21-2013, 01:43 AM   #1
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847
Default TJ Grant vs. Gray Maynard (UFC 160)

Quote:
Gray Maynard Draws TJ Grant in Lightweight Showdown at UFC 160
BY DAMON MARTIN (FEATURED COLUMNIST) ON FEBRUARY 21, 2013 50 reads 0
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more storiesNext
Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports
The UFC may find their next No. 1 contender at lightweight in May when Gray Maynard squares off with TJ Grant as part of the UFC 160 card headed to Las Vegas.

The bout marks Grant's fifth fight at lightweight. Maynard returns to action almost a year after his last fight in the Octagon, after dealing with injuries that sidelined him for the better part of the last 12 months.

Gray Maynard will look to get back into the title picture when he returns to action in May after knee surgery kept him out of his last scheduled bout in December. The former Michigan State wrestler had to go under the doctor's knife to repair damage to both his medial and lateral meniscus, putting him out of training for more than a month.

Now healthy and back in the gym, Maynard will look to make a strong statement with his next fight and hopefully take one more step towards securing another title shot in the UFC's 155 pound division.

Facing Maynard at UFC 160 will be Canadian grappler and recent lightweight import TJ Grant.

Debuting in the UFC as a welterweight, Grant went 3-3 overall, but never looked outclassed even against bigger fighters at the time. Grant lost a very close majority decision to current top-ranked UFC welterweight Johny Hendricks in 2010, but eventually made the move down to lightweight where he's shown true dominance.

Grant has gone 4-0 since dropping to 155 pounds, and after besting Evan Dunham at UFC 152, he returned and obliterated Matt Wiman by knockout in the first round at UFC on FOX 6 in January.

Now, Grant has his best and biggest shot to make a real impact in the lightweight division as he faces a former title contender in Gray Maynard.

With champion Benson Henderson battling Gilbert Melendez in April, and current top lightweight contender Anthony Pettis dropping down to 145 pounds for a showdown with featherweight champion Jose Aldo in August, the fight between Maynard and Grant could be pivotal in the UFC lightweight championship picture.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Very, very interesting fight. TJ has been one of the most overlooked guys in the division for a while, and he is now getting the top contender that he deserves. He has the power and technical skills on the feet to give Maynard a lot of trouble, and he backs that up with excellent grappling in the event that Maynard scores a takedown. I really think he can pull this off, especially considering Maynard will be coming off of an injury and a fair bit of time off. If the Wiman knockout didn't put him on the map, this one certainly will.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2013, 02:17 AM   #2
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: TJ Grant vs. Gray Maynard (UFC 160)

Maynards heavy hands and wrestling Vs Grant's jits and improved Muay Thai? Great fight!
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
the_bigunit
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Excellent fight.
the_bigunit is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Maynard for me now is a seasoned, tough extremely skilled mixed martial artist, he's got outstanding wrestling, solid cardio, huge for the weight, crisp underrated boxing and KO power, he's going to be a big ask for Grant IMO.

Grants no bum BTW, but I feel once Gray gets in the shit on the feet he'll maul Grant as and how he feels like.

Maynard decision, tough fight for TJ Grant.
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
the_bigunit
Contender
ESB Senior Member

The boxing has been there for Maynard, for a really ****ing long time, at that.

I hate when the Wikipedia noobs try to call him 'boring' or say he just LnP's.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Im looking at the posts and can only assume that is directed at me
Old 02-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post
Maynard for me now is a seasoned, tough extremely skilled mixed martial artist, he's got outstanding wrestling, solid cardio, huge for the weight, crisp underrated boxing and KO power, he's going to be a big ask for Grant IMO.

Grants no bum BTW, but I feel once Gray gets in the shit on the feet he'll maul Grant as and how he feels like.

Maynard decision, tough fight for TJ Grant.
Grant may be one of the few guys in the division Maynard won't have a size and strength advantage over. He was actually pretty solid at WW, notably losing to Hendricks in a controversial decision. At LW, he's just a beast.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
the_bigunit
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Im looking at the posts and can only assume that is directed at me

No. It really wasn't. You didn't call him boring or anything.

But most fans' first time seeing him fight seem to have been against Florian. For some reason.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #9
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
Grant may be one of the few guys in the division Maynard won't have a size and strength advantage over. He was actually pretty solid at WW, notably losing to Hendricks in a controversial decision. At LW, he's just a beast.
Was Hendricks not struggling with the cut at that stage?

Maynard is a very big LW with an enormous ammount of core body strength, who's seasoned at the weight, question marks on Grant still remain when his cardio gets tested. I feel Maynard is simply a more effective fighter for MMA than Grant, for most LW's for that matter. No pun intended but I think he'll bully him on the feet and on the floor.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bigunit View Post
No. It really wasn't. You didn't call him boring or anything.

But most fans' first time seeing him fight seem to have been against Florian. For some reason.
LOL Shame that, a wikipedia noob would have been a great one to add to my list of insults

Yes Maynards boxing is really sharp and difficult to negate, he holds his hands low, doesnt do anything particularly quick but he's deceiving, solid technically, has good punch placement and is heavy handed
Old 02-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #11
the_bigunit
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
LOL Shame that, a wikipedia noob would have been a great one to add to my list of insults

Yes Maynards boxing is really sharp and difficult to negate, he holds his hands low, doesnt do anything particularly quick but he's deceiving, solid technically, has good punch placement and is heavy handed
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

And Maynard touched him, like what, just twice?
Old 02-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #12
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

Grant is one big dude who impressed me in his last outing but could he take Maynards spot in the division?
He has the power to hurt and put Maynard away
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #13
Boyd
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Huge TJ fan. He will be in tough against Gray though. I know for sure thou TJ is very dedicated and wants the step up to prove himself.
Boyd is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2013, 11:50 PM   #14
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

This is officially a number one contender fight.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:53 AM   #15
Thom
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Grant looks like he's on another level since he moved to 155. Soul Harbour may have a champ in the near future.
Thom is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum