boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 11-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default After BJ Penn KOs or Submits Rory...

After BJ KOs or Submits Rory, who thinks he will Call out Anderson Silva?

I have a feeling if BJ is feeling strong and in shape at 170, and IF he beats Rory convincingly, he may stretch for greatness and the impossible once again and challenge Silva.

He will say something like "Anderson Silva is looking for a Super Fight, if GSP won't take it, I will"

He has stated that he wants to be known as the greatest fighter, he has also stated that he has brought back his old coach. I have a feeling if he gets by Rory, he is looking for something great next.
BewareofDawg is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553
Default Re: After BJ Penn KOs or Submits Rory...

He will gas if that cut doesn't open up.
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
the_bigunit
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 785

It's only Penn fans that say **** like this.
the_bigunit is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bigunit View Post
It's only Penn fans that say **** like this.
Really? So you don't think it is in the realm of possibility that if he impressively beats Rory, he will call out Anderson?
Old 11-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
the_bigunit
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BewareofDawg View Post
Really? So you don't think it is in the realm of possibility that if he impressively beats Rory, he will call out Anderson?

There is no realm of possibility he beats Rory MacDonald. Not to say Penn is not great, he is. But it's MacDonald's time. Not to mention, Penn has never been consistent at 170lbs.

Hypothetically, let's say Penn does beat MacDonald - still, there's no chance he calls Anderson Silva out. Nor would the UFC even come close to setting that up.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
Primenal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
There is no realm of possibility he beats Rory MacDonald. Not to say Penn is not great, he is. But it's MacDonald's time. Not to mention, Penn has never been consistent at 170lbs.

Hypothetically, let's say Penn does beat MacDonald - still, there's no chance he calls Anderson Silva out. Nor would the UFC even come close to setting that up.
Penn has no business fighting Silva, but you would say the UFC won't set up this fight because it's a blatant mismatch? I definitely wouldn't put it past them... They've done a lot worse.
Primenal is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
blagovech
esbs #1 pedo
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

i think bj can beat rory but call out silva

Last edited by blagovech; 11-28-2012 at 04:13 PM.
blagovech is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Quote:
I really don't think it's that far out of the realm of possibility. Penn is a great fighter, and on his best night, he can definitely beat Rory. There is not one area in the game that Rory glaringly outshines him. The only things he has on him are size and cardio, which are very important, and will likely be the deciding factors in the fight. But, it is not at all impossible for Penn take two rounds, or even finish the fight.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Agree 100%. Rory is some infallible uber beast in too many people's minds IMO. Even if he will probably look that good here; great physical condition and training camp aside, BJ just isn't quite there anymore. His cardio is the pits, although he showed real glimmers against Fitch and Nick early on.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
the_bigunit
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
I really don't think it's that far out of the realm of possibility. Penn is a great fighter, and on his best night, he can definitely beat Rory. There is not one area in the game that Rory glaringly outshines him. The only things he has on him are size and cardio, which are very important, and will likely be the deciding factors in the fight. But, it is not at all impossible for Penn take two rounds, or even finish the fight.

Penn had trouble taking Diaz down and was taken down 4 times by Jon Fitch. I would chalk up the wrestling as at least one advantage for MacDonald.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #11
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Quote:
Penn had trouble taking Diaz down and was taken down 4 times by Jon Fitch. I would chalk up the wrestling as at least one advantage for MacDonald.
It is an advantage, but it isn't huge. Penn has very good TDD; definitely the best out of any of Rory's opponents so far. He also has pretty solid takedowns. Getting taken down by Fitch really isn't really a big deal, plus, he scored two takedowns of his own on him.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #12
the_bigunit
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
It is an advantage, but it isn't huge. Penn has very good TDD; definitely the best out of any of Rory's opponents so far. He also has pretty solid takedowns. Getting taken down by Fitch really isn't really a big deal, plus, he scored two takedowns of his own on him.

Do you think MacDonald will go straight for the takedown or try to play on the feet like he did with Che Mills?

I hope Penn licks him one good. Wrestling-focused fighters seem to need that at least once in their careers.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #13
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

He's stated on Twitter many times he wants the Diaz rematch
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #14
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Penn didnt shoot on Diaz, and Fitch to my knowledge took Penn down once, 3rd round

He reversed Penn twice while Penn had his back

MaCdonald is a solid wrestler, but his top game is nothing special, Condit may have an active guard but MaCdonald couldnt get much done against him in terms of control or damage, and he was in danger of being submitted, plus he was sweeped multiple times, Penn is a better all round grappler than MaCdonald, whilst MaCdonald may have a better conventional double leg, Penn has much much more in terms of attacking resilience
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #15
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

I didn't mean to mislead anybody, I do not think at all that Penn can beat Anderson or has any business fighting him.

That being said, Penn has an aura about him. He is an enigma to many people. He represents something with great potential to do something amazing, in alot of peoples eyes. I heard from Dan Henderson's own mouth, less than a month ago, that BJ Penn could hold the LW and WW belts right now if he was 100% motivated and In shape. That may not be true, it may be, but if Dan friggin Henderson still thinks it's true, so do alot of other people!
BJ has a charisma about him, people want to believe he is the greatest because he presents something different. And it won't take much for people to jump right back on his bandwagon. If he beats Rory convincingly, there will be an army of people saying he's back and he is top 3 P4P again.

And i honestly believe if he is in shape, Rory is a very good style matchup for him. Rory will be there to be hit, and doesn't have the best takedowns.

The dude has looked like he's been in shape for over a month now, follow him on Instagram. He looks serious, and he looks motivate.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum