Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 09-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
Beatboxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Amir Khan: I will soon be Untouchable

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Amir Khan has predicted he will soon become "untouchable" under new trainer Jorge Rubio.
Rubio, who has a home in Miami but was once coach of the Cuban amateur boxing team, is working with the Bolton fighter for the first time ahead of the defence of his WBO Intercontinental lightweight title against Colombian Breidis Prescott at Manchester's MEN arena on Saturday night.
Khan, 21, who has been floored twice in his 19 unbeaten contests to date, revealed Rubio has already tightened up his defence but believes there is much more to come from their relationship.
"After meeting Jorge and learning the things I had never done before, it showed me how much I was behind," said Khan.
"He has taught me so much in eight weeks and I know in another two or three fights, I will be untouchable.
"I am a quick learner, I pick up things quicker than most fighters and I'm young and hungry.
"It's been like a switch back to the amateur days, back to basics, with a lot of speed work.
"Everything's gone so well I feel strong and fit and I've made the weight easier.
"As soon as we get the structure right and get some fights under my belt, I will be perfect."
Rubio was at pains to rein in the expectations invested in Khan but admits that in the long term, his new protege can go all the way.
He said: "This is the first time I have been working with him and he is at 90% of his potential at the moment but he will be 100% in the future.
"He needs to get more power behind his speed and we have been working on his defence.
"But he will be the world champion one day."
Khan doubts that Prescott can live up to his 19-0 record which includes 17 knockouts, saying,
"He may have a good record but who has he fought? He's never fought anyone like Amir Khan.
"I've seen videos of him and he hasn't fought anyone like me in terms of hand-speed and power.
"He's going to be strong - he's got the height advantage, he's got the reach advantage, but I've done my homework and I know how to deal with that.
"He fought someone half-decent in his last fight and it was a 50-50, a close fight but I would have given it to the other fighter.
"You get fighters coming in to the ring with me who say they are quick but when they see how quick and hard I hit them that's when their game plan disappears.
"I want to be a world champion at a young age so these are the fights I need.
"I've got my game plan and I'm going to stick to that."
Prescott predicted a four-round knockout on Saturday but looked less confident at the pre-fight press conference when he repeated his intentions.
He said: "I just want to say congratulations to Amir Khan.
"But I think I'm prepared to beat him, hopefully in four rounds, and let's see how it goes."

Yes folks, a few people the other day were saying that Khan wasn't arrogant and rather young and naive...then this...

First he boasts how he will be 'untouchable' within 2 or 3 fights with his new trainer then starts talking in 3rd person in regards to Bredis Prescott 'he's never fought an Amir Khan'

Is it any wonder the kid is disliked here on ESB? He's been pro nearly 3 years and hasn't even fought the best Britain has to offer (unless you count a shot Graham Earl 1 fight removed from an utter beating as that).

Your thoughts?
Beatboxer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2008, 12:16 PM   #2
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Amir Khan: I will soon be Untouchable

If Amir is now at 90% of his potential I can't even see him winning a British title.

It also amazes me about how hypercritical the gang at Sky are.....

One minute they are loving it when the likes of John Murray and Jono Thaxton are calling Khan out, the next they are blowing smoke up his ass and saying he is nearly ready for a world title.

For me, a guy shouldn't be allowed a world title shot until he proves that he is the best in his division in his own country. Khan hasn't even proved that he is the best 135lb'er in Lancashire.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
brown_bomber
BROWN BOMBER
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1597

we shall see in the coming years how good he really is
brown_bomber is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2008, 12:23 PM   #4
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

He'd better hope he is untouchable because with that chin, there is no way he beats an elite fighter otherwise.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2008, 12:27 PM   #5
Beatboxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler
If Amir is now at 90% of his potential I can't even see him winning a British title.

It also amazes me about how hypercritical the gang at Sky are.....

One minute they are loving it when the likes of John Murray and Jono Thaxton are calling Khan out, the next they are blowing smoke up his ass and saying he is nearly ready for a world title.

For me, a guy shouldn't be allowed a world title shot until he proves that he is the best in his division in his own country. Khan hasn't even proved that he is the best 135lb'er in Lancashire.
Indeed. Sky's hypocrisy is unreal in this respect, though given how much they are said to have invested in Khan then it's little surprise that they are side stepping that thorny issue.

I only hope that once Khan has these 2 or 3 gimme fights and is thus rendered 'untouchable' he will muster the courage to take on a Thaxton let alone a Romanov...that's just how far he is from the World class at the moment.

All this article serves to highlight is his utter arrogance when he has did **** all in the pro ranks to justify such shite and has infact, shown many vulenrabilities and fallacies.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
1stcontact
Like Mo, But Better
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_bomber
we shall see in the coming years how good he really is
Havent we been saying that since he turned pro

On a side note i'll be supporting prescott in this one
1stcontact is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2008, 12:40 PM   #7
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatboxer
Indeed. Sky's hypocrisy is unreal in this respect, though given how much they are said to have invested in Khan then it's little surprise that they are side stepping that thorny issue.

I only hope that once Khan has these 2 or 3 gimme fights and is thus rendered 'untouchable' he will muster the courage to take on a Thaxton let alone a Romanov...that's just how far he is from the World class at the moment.

All this article serves to highlight is his utter arrogance when he has did **** all in the pro ranks to justify such shite and has infact, shown many vulenrabilities and fallacies.
I think the worst thing is that after four or five fights he was calling Thaxton out.

After Thaxton (rightly IMO) gave him short shrift and told him to progress up the ladder properly, all we have seen from Amir is crass remarks about other British (and Euro) fighters and blatant ducking.

Now - ducking is a bad thing, but it is made much worse when you try to claim you are above their level, having done absolutely nothing to prove you are AT that level!

At least if you do what Steve Collins did when Calzaghe was his mando you would have some respect for Khan.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2008, 12:51 PM   #8
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 922

Khan is claiming that this Bredis Prescott debacle is a 50-50 fight. If this is the case and he is at 90% of his potential, then his future is quite limited.

Truth is he will smoke Prescott and then claim to have advanced to some super elite level, which will be (conveniently) above the likes of Romanov, Murray,Thaxton etc.

I bet they've got a dozen Bredis Prescotts all lined up for lined up for PPV.
Claypole is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2008, 01:13 PM   #9
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

I hope he's right he's an awesome talent and durability can increase with age.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2008, 01:36 PM   #10
BigEars
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypole
Khan is claiming that this Bredis Prescott debacle is a 50-50 fight. If this is the case and he is at 90% of his potential, then his future is quite limited.

Truth is he will smoke Prescott and then claim to have advanced to some super elite level, which will be (conveniently) above the likes of Romanov, Murray,Thaxton etc.

I bet they've got a dozen Bredis Prescotts all lined up for lined up for PPV.
Maybe he can fight Richard Abril next, afterall Khan admitted that he thought Abril beat Prescott.
BigEars is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #11
KCD
All aboard.
ESB Addict

Khan is a tosser in and out of the ring.

Alot of people say is a good role model for fighters but how?

At the end of the day he is below Romanov and as Murray said he isnt even the best in Manchester.

Let him defeat a solid domestic player before people like the WBC, WBA, WBO, IBF and the Ring have him rated in their respective top 10.
KCD is online now  Top
Old 09-04-2008, 01:49 PM   #12
Healy
Former Wee Poof
ESB Addict

Muppet

Hate SKy and Khan and what they have going on now
Healy is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2008, 01:50 PM   #13
BIG WORM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 6785

have you seen the size of prescott compared to khan lol..

hes about a foot bigger
BIG WORM is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2008, 02:27 PM   #14
Beatboxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxstuff
Hype is as liable to get you a title shot as achievement. If people "believe" you're a top ten fighter, they start to treat you like it.

Think of some of the boxers who had no place contesting titles!
If Khan continues to fight opposition of this calibre and avoid even a top domestic clash with either Thaxton or Murray he will be one of them.

Seriously disgusts me that this guy is on PPV. Ludicrous.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:02 PM   #15
kurt2006
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Khan is the biggest gobshit in British boxing, people say Cobra Froch talks a lot but Froch will fight anybody anyday. Khan talks big but shits his pants when it comes to facing the big boys.
kurt2006 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum