Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
Samurai's Slice
ESB Legend
East Side Guru

Location: Follow my blog, Boxing Legends on Facebook for the most up to date boxing news!
vCash: 163
Default Andre Ward Vs. Kelly Pavlik, Terrible fight for KP.

What were his handlers thinking? Ward will likely be catching him from various angles all night. When fights that could be won much easier against Abraham, Kessler, Bika and maybe even Froch? This would give him a legit title ( IF he won ) and not a dangerous loss that could strongly hurt future creditability.

I mean with a loss can he even recover his career? Seems like a cashout which is a shame to see as a KP fan although I do hope his career can continue to return even with a loss.

What do you think of this fight idea for KP? Expect a fight like verses Hopkins, UD win for Ward.
Samurai's Slice is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
BoneCollecter
Warrior Poet
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Andre Ward Vs. Kelly Pavlik, Terrible fight for KP.

Dead on. Terrible fight for Pavlik. But if he somehow wins he'll deserve all the Glory of true redemption. Bold move.

However, he could have certainly been matched better for the overall well-being of his career IMO.
BoneCollecter is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
Hermit
P4P King
East Side VIP

If Kelly doesn't belong in the ring with the top guys then he will probably retire. Only one way to find out.
Hermit is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
WatchfortheHook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1894

I believe the thought process went along the lines below:

It's a high risk in the sense that he is likely going to lose. HOWEVER, Andre Ward doesn't punch particularly hard and Kelly has a good chin, therefore, even if he takes an ass whooping, he could still come back and possibly perform well in a subsequent fight. Also, nobody is really expecting Kelly to win (except maybe some of his fans) and not many are expecting him to be particularly competitive...so he doesn't have that kind of pressure. If he gets whooped....well....Kessler and Froch also got whooped and they're alright. Abraham got whooped and he managed to get a belt. The flip side of the coin is if Kelly pulls off the long shot and knocks out Ward the reward for it is tremendous.

The only way it really works against Pavlik's career is if he puts in a totally listless performance (talking Allan Green type performance) against Ward.

I personally would have rather seen him in with someone different though.
WatchfortheHook is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #5
fatcity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2300

Kelly cashing out with his last big payday.Ward tko 8.
fatcity is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
The Mangler
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

I'm assumin it's just a $ grab for him, cuz his team can't honestly believe he got any chance of actually winnin it.
The Mangler is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #7
markq
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai's Slice View Post
What were his handlers thinking? Ward will likely be catching him from various angles all night. When fights that could be won much easier against Abraham, Kessler, Bika and maybe even Froch? This would give him a legit title ( IF he won ) and not a dangerous loss that could strongly hurt future creditability.

I mean with a loss can he even recover his career? Seems like a cashout which is a shame to see as a KP fan although I do hope his career can continue to return even with a loss.

What do you think of this fight idea for KP? Expect a fight like verses Hopkins, UD win for Ward.
He definitely has a chance against those opponents you named. His promoter is looking to cash out on him I guess. After this fight, Pavlik loses any marketability he has left. POOR decision by his management.
markq is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #8
SweatPea
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

best $$$$$ he'll ever see.
SweatPea is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #9
MexicanMuscle
Mexican Powerhouse
ESB Addict

It's a good payday for him and his power gives him a chance. Ward's chin hasn't been truly tested so I want to see how good it is. I don't rate Ward's power highly either so if he can stop Kelly, I will give him so major props.

I think Ward is like Mayweather though, not quite feather fisted, but close to it.
MexicanMuscle is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #10
WatchfortheHook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by markq View Post
He definitely has a chance against those opponents you named. His promoter is looking to cash out on him I guess. After this fight, Pavlik loses any marketability he has left. POOR decision by his management.
His overall career management has been pretty poor. I know the promoter is the last sign off on the fight, but who originally thought BHOP at 170 would be a good idea? Dunkin?
WatchfortheHook is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 10:47 PM   #11
Samurai's Slice
ESB Legend
East Side Guru

Location: Follow my blog, Boxing Legends on Facebook for the most up to date boxing news!
vCash: 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
If Kelly doesn't belong in the ring with the top guys then he will probably retire. Only one way to find out.
He does with top guys, Not with SOG though, Nobody does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchfortheHook View Post
I believe the thought process went along the lines below:

It's a high risk in the sense that he is likely going to lose. HOWEVER, Andre Ward doesn't punch particularly hard and Kelly has a good chin, therefore, even if he takes an ass whooping, he could still come back and possibly perform well in a subsequent fight. Also, nobody is really expecting Kelly to win (except maybe some of his fans) and not many are expecting him to be particularly competitive...so he doesn't have that kind of pressure. If he gets whooped....well....Kessler and Froch also got whooped and they're alright. Abraham got whooped and he managed to get a belt. The flip side of the coin is if Kelly pulls off the long shot and knocks out Ward the reward for it is tremendous.

The only way it really works against Pavlik's career is if he puts in a totally listless performance (talking Allan Green type performance) against Ward.

I personally would have rather seen him in with someone different though.
Positive outlook to it. I'd never like this to be his going out type fight. Possibly final superfight, But not final fight, Some others might be interesting afterwords if he stays game here.
Samurai's Slice is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #12
Slothrop
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1195

Quote:

Agree totally. Kessler would be a very interesting opponent. I'd rather see that than the Ward fight.
Slothrop is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 10:57 PM   #13
Hermit
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
He does with top guys, Not with SOG though, Nobody does.
OH FFS. This SOG crap has gone to people's heads. You have the SOB walking on water now.
Hermit is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #14
Smokin' Joe
~ Dinamita Irlandés ~
East Side Guru

vCash: 1276

Why is it bad for Pavlik?

Facing the best at 168 and Top 5 p4p.

Worst case scenario: Get's a decent pay day and can retire content enough, if that's what he chooses to do.

Best cast scenario: Get's a unexpected win and is rocketed back to the very top of the division, with several big fights to be made.

What else is he gonna do, keep fighting cans for what's left of his career?
Smokin' Joe is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #15
Slothrop
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1195

How much is Pavlik making for this fight?
Slothrop is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum