Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885
Default My second fight: Video

This is the video from my second fight that I won from back in October, since then I have lost one bringing me to 2-1. Got a state title fight in December so just in the middle of training hard for that at the moment. Hopefulyl after this I can focus on moving down to my actual weightclass rather than fighting these 80kg ****ers.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLGZgNR7t-o[/ame]

As always critque and that would be appreciated. Sorry about the quality ripped it off a DVD and the quality fell apart when I did, can still make it out. When I get the video for the 3rd fight I'll post that aswell. Thanks for any responses.

p.s. I'm in the one in Blue.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: My second fight: Video

Way too many lead rights for a conventional fighter. With your stance, it is easier to touch the guy with the left hand. By my count, you threw 11 lead rights in the first, 11 in the second and something like 18 in the third round. That's a lot, and they were not effective from what I saw, as many of them didn't come close to contact.

For your stance, it all begins with the left jab, not the lead right. Especially against a conventional fighter like you faced. A lead right will often catch a southpaw and do some damage.

Good thing the opponent didn't know how to throw an effective left hook over those lazy right hand leads or you may have lost that one.
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Harsh but fair I agree completely about the lazy lead rights. I used to have a lot of trouble throwing the right but worked on it and started overusing it as you can see.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ldn View Post
Harsh but fair I agree completely about the lazy lead rights. I used to have a lot of trouble throwing the right but worked on it and started overusing it as you can see.
Has your trainer addressed this issue in any way? If it were me, I'd like to see many more jabs to start your attack. Keep that jab in his face and he has problems with you.

On a more positive note, your stamina looked good for all the rounds as you did a lot of moving around the ring. Stamina can win fights even if technique is a bit off if the opponent gases as the fight progresses.

By the video's time of just over 9.5 minutes, I'm assuming you are fighting three 2 minute rounds.

Good work to be 2-1 in this day and age of amateur boxing. Work rate seems to have the upper hand over actual hard contact.
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 12:37 AM   #5
CHAL_DIESEL
GOAT
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

I like your footwork, however you are tending to get straight up when the punches are thrown. The dude always seems to be significantly bigger than you with more muscle. You both look like you lack the killer instinct as well. Good fight work though. I really like how you move to both sides fluidly not common In a guy with 3 fights. Also you seem to be much faster than him, and if you utilized your jab more, than you would of boxed his head off
CHAL_DIESEL is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 04:12 AM   #6
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Matt you don't appear to have been taught how to block a jab. Sounds basic but its common that a lot of novices don't know. You need a reliable defence.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 05:29 AM   #7
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo2176 View Post
Has your trainer addressed this issue in any way? If it were me, I'd like to see many more jabs to start your attack. Keep that jab in his face and he has problems with you.

On a more positive note, your stamina looked good for all the rounds as you did a lot of moving around the ring. Stamina can win fights even if technique is a bit off if the opponent gases as the fight progresses.

By the video's time of just over 9.5 minutes, I'm assuming you are fighting three 2 minute rounds.

Good work to be 2-1 in this day and age of amateur boxing. Work rate seems to have the upper hand over actual hard contact.
Yeah 3x2mins. My style is usually based off my jab but this fight was a bit of a weird one, didn;t realise I threw that many lead rights until I watched the video it confused me a bit. It had been a year since my first and the crowd was pretty big (over 600 at least) so I have to admit I let it get to me a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAL_DIESEL View Post
I like your footwork, however you are tending to get straight up when the punches are thrown. The dude always seems to be significantly bigger than you with more muscle. You both look like you lack the killer instinct as well. Good fight work though. I really like how you move to both sides fluidly not common In a guy with 3 fights. Also you seem to be much faster than him, and if you utilized your jab more, than you would of boxed his head off
I think this was due to the event and nerves, I got very sloppy at points and I wasn't very comfortable in the ring alot more stiff than I should have been. Yeah he was alot bigger but I had an inch or two height wise I've moved up to 80kg just cos thats where the fights are but I should really be back down at 75kg which I intend to be after this next fight.

It wasn't a very exciting fight because we were both expecting the other guy to rush towards us and had prepared for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
Matt you don't appear to have been taught how to block a jab. Sounds basic but its common that a lot of novices don't know. You need a reliable defence.
You should see my third fight its ****ing ridiculous I ate every one he threw. Weirdly one of those things that I am usually really good with in sparring but has completely gone out the window in my last two fights.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 05:33 AM   #8
CHAL_DIESEL
GOAT
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
What is your technique? I try to block the jab with the lead hand, and the straight with my left, which is if instincts don't take over and block them with any old hand. Because you don't want to parry every punch because it takes away from your own offensive, is that right Jeff or am I wrong?

Try punching in between his punches also Matt, to mess his rhythm up.
CHAL_DIESEL is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #9
captain hook
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1794

when orthodox vs southpaw another great tehnic is to parry jab with rear hand and in same time throwing jab over his. its a bit risky because his rear cross is expected, then just bob and counter with rear hand of your own
captain hook is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #10
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAL_DIESEL View Post
What is your technique? I try to block the jab with the lead hand, and the straight with my left, which is if instincts don't take over and block them with any old hand. Because you don't want to parry every punch because it takes away from your own offensive, is that right Jeff or am I wrong?

Try punching in between his punches also Matt, to mess his rhythm up.
Been a southpaw Charles your in the fortunate position where you can block and counter effectively with either hand providing your foot is on the outside of your opponents lead foot. If your going to counter then against a southpaw (for you an orthadox fighter) you can catch the jab with the lead then come over the top with ur own shots.

If your in with someone smarter with their feet then you can catch on the backhand just like an orthodox fighter would. It's risky if they throw a one two but the payoff is they reach further providing you with more time to counter. If your opponent is clueless - and a lot are I'd mix it up and see which one provides u with the most success.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #11
NVSemin
Sugar Boxing
ESB Jr Member

Good fight!

I like your footwork, of course, there are lots of stuff to improve, but overall amplitude and speed are quite ok. Good stamina!

First point - your opponent sits low, so when he punches, he uses mass and leverage better. You look less strong then him, so by standing high on you legs, you rob yourself from power.

When you backing onto the ropes, if your weight is on the rear leg, you cannot maneuver much. Transfer your weight more on the front leg the closer you are to the rope, so when the guy rushes at you, pivot on the front leg with a hook. It is called check hook, watch on youtube Mayweather using it.

I think there is nothing bad with leading right hand, it is just that you have to prepare a way for it with more feints.

My suggestion is learn to throw combinations, because throwing one punch is very basic. Learn some footwork tricks to make your opponent off-balance, make angles. Learn feinting and how to hide powershot.

Best luck!
NVSemin is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #12
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
This is the video from my second fight that I won from back in October, since then I have lost one bringing me to 2-1. Got a state title fight in December so just in the middle of training hard for that at the moment. Hopefulyl after this I can focus on moving down to my actual weightclass rather than fighting these 80kg ****ers.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

As always critque and that would be appreciated. Sorry about the quality ripped it off a DVD and the quality fell apart when I did, can still make it out. When I get the video for the 3rd fight I'll post that aswell. Thanks for any responses.

p.s. I'm in the one in Blue.

Work on a jab it would compliment your style.
dempsey1234 is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #13
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVSemin View Post
Good fight!

I like your footwork, of course, there are lots of stuff to improve, but overall amplitude and speed are quite ok. Good stamina!

First point - your opponent sits low, so when he punches, he uses mass and leverage better. You look less strong then him, so by standing high on you legs, you rob yourself from power.

When you backing onto the ropes, if your weight is on the rear leg, you cannot maneuver much. Transfer your weight more on the front leg the closer you are to the rope, so when the guy rushes at you, pivot on the front leg with a hook. It is called check hook, watch on youtube Mayweather using it.

I think there is nothing bad with leading right hand, it is just that you have to prepare a way for it with more feints.

My suggestion is learn to throw combinations, because throwing one punch is very basic. Learn some footwork tricks to make your opponent off-balance, make angles. Learn feinting and how to hide powershot.

Best luck!
Cheers, yeah I threw way too many single shots its something I'm trying to work on at the moment. A lot of that was due to fatigue which is why I'm a bit surprised people think my stamina is good I came very close to throwing up at the end of the fight I was exhausted. It doens't come across much on the video but the 2minutes I spent bent over at the end of the fight were nicely edited out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dempsey1234 View Post
Work on a jab it would compliment your style.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 08:16 AM   #14
NVSemin
Sugar Boxing
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
A lot of that was due to fatigue which is why I'm a bit surprised people think my stamina is good I came very close to throwing up at the end of the fight I was exhausted.
I do not see a problem here. It is very good that you are able to leave everything in the ring. This is what counts. It does not matter how you actually perform outside the ring
NVSemin is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #15
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Just meant that I was absolutely knackered after the first round and my work rate was much lower than what I would have liked.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing