Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
richie leon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Cotto-Canelo is much like Mayweather-Judah

Not stylistically obviously, but in terms of the situation. The fight between Mayweather and then undisputed WW champ Judah was already agreed upon prior to Judah-Baldomir, but obviously lost a lot of it's luster because of Judah's loss.
However, the fight back in 2006 turned out to be pretty interesting and eventful.
And as much as i feel like Canelo fighting the guy who beat his brother and just got a clear win over Cotto is really the only honourable thing to do, i have to admit that Canelo-Cotto might still be a damn good fight.
I just hope that, like Mayweather fought the guy who spoiled his Judah fight afterwards, Canelo goes right after Trout if he beats Cotto.
richie leon is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
Doc
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Cotto-Canelo is much like Mayweather-Judah

But but the judah fight had already been agreed upon! Oh wait.

so was the cotto fight..

but but mayweather then fought baldomir and outclassed him, oh wait.

Canelo could very well do that to trout.

but but mayweather was already an atg,

laughable

money fights are not legitimate however entertaining or money it makes.

I hope its may or trout next, shit I'd settle for k9 too
Doc is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
mr. piff
The Ring General
ESB Addict

vCash: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie leon View Post
Not stylistically obviously, but in terms of the situation. The fight between Mayweather and then undisputed WW champ Judah was already agreed upon prior to Judah-Baldomir, but obviously lost a lot of it's luster because of Judah's loss.
However, the fight back in 2006 turned out to be pretty interesting and eventful.
And as much as i feel like Canelo fighting the guy who beat his brother and just got a clear win over Cotto is really the only honourable thing to do, i have to admit that Canelo-Cotto might still be a damn good fight.
I just hope that, like Mayweather fought the guy who spoiled his Judah fight afterwards, Canelo goes right after Trout if he beats Cotto.
Yes, it is the same situation, and if they were smart, they would stay away from trout. The man has skills and decent beard and a fair share of heart. He didn't allow cotto to bully him at all in the fight
mr. piff is online now  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
Low Blow Combos
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Styles make fights, situations make fights as well. Cotto-Canelo is the fight to make.
Low Blow Combos is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
Doc
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. piff View Post
Yes, it is the same situation, and if they were smart, they would stay away from trout. The man has skills and decent beard and a fair share of heart. He didn't allow cotto to bully him at all in the fight
Nah it was close until the 9th when cotto gassed, cotto wad connecting combos and making trout uneasy to throw, that was also a small Jr mw passed prime, canelo can go hard 12 and the body shots will be to much, you will most likely see trout as in the drod fight not willing to open up as drod was a full blown Jr mw that can't be bullied like cotto was in the end, now imagine canelo who is explosive can cut the ring and will feed off of trouts unwillingness to engage specially on the ropes the body shots and explosivenes from canelo will be to much.
Doc is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
Eat'Em Up
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1775

Canelo loses to Trout and Cotto, it doesn't matter.
Eat'Em Up is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
Scar
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie leon View Post
Mayweather and Judah were already signed to fight each other with a date already set before the Baldomir fight happens. Completely different situation though similar position nevertheless. We all know Canelo is not going for Trout even if he loses to Cotto, he's just looking to make cash in his career despite his division being literally packed with serious opposition.
Scar is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
Scar
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Nah it was close until the 9th when cotto gassed, cotto wad connecting combos and making trout uneasy to throw, that was also a small Jr mw passed prime, canelo can go hard 12 and the body shots will be to much, you will most likely see trout as in the drod fight not willing to open up as drod was a full blown Jr mw that can't be bullied like cotto was in the end, now imagine canelo who is explosive can cut the ring and will feed off of trouts unwillingness to engage specially on the ropes the body shots and explosivenes from canelo will be to much.
Nonsense. Canelo is far too open and defensively poor, he will be outboxed badly against Trout unless he tries to smother him and land his own body shots. Even then, I don't see Canelo doing much when he's forced in the middle of the ring. This is a very interesting fight and the reason it's not happening is because Canelo wants to cash-out before his career even starts.
Scar is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
fatcity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2203

Bring an Canelo-Cotto.Fireworks!
fatcity is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #10
Divi253
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 9062

Quite sure they had a date set, I know they had purses set and I believe they had the venue and ticket pricing set as well for the Mayweather-Judah fight prior to the Baldomir fight.. Arum and Don King had to change the purses and ticket prices after the upset.

Both situations sucked, as they both should have fought the winner first... Big difference I see is nobody thought Mayweather was ducking or avoiding Baldomir(at least to my knowledge), but plenty believe Canelo is ducking any type of serious opposition.. And I honestly don't see him fighting Trout after Cotto.
Divi253 is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #11
Jai C
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The difference is Mayweather-Judah contract was already signed. It was more than just being talked about.
Jai C is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #12
Scar
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divi253 View Post
Quite sure they had a date set, I know they had purses set and I believe they had the venue and ticket pricing set as well for the Mayweather-Judah fight prior to the Baldomir fight.. Arum and Don King had to change the purses and ticket prices after the upset.

Both situations sucked, as they both should have fought the winner first... Big difference I see is nobody thought Mayweather was ducking or avoiding Baldomir(at least to my knowledge), but plenty believe Canelo is ducking any type of serious opposition.. And I honestly don't see him fighting Trout after Cotto.
Oh please! Everyone was literally crying about Mayweather ducking yet another "true" Welterweight when he moved on with the Judah fight and demanded he fights Baldomir. If you weren't around when that fight happened, I was and sure as hell remember the bullcrap from the public and media. As soon as the Baldomir fight was signed they went back to "He's cherry picking again and should fight Concreto for true legitimacy in the sport!".
Scar is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #13
Jai C
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar View Post
Nonsense. Canelo is far too open and defensively poor, he will be outboxed badly against Trout unless he tries to smother him and land his own body shots. Even then, I don't see Canelo doing much when he's forced in the middle of the ring. This is a very interesting fight and the reason it's not happening is because Canelo wants to cash-out before his career even starts.
Canelo is not bad defensively. He keeps his guard up. The thing that scares me about him is he opens up a little too wide just before he throws sometimes. He can be caught in exchanges against a sharpshooter. His best punch is his left hook to the body imo. He himself can be caught with the exact same punch when he throws that funny looking right hand. Just an observation.
Jai C is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #14
Scar
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai C View Post
Canelo is not bad defensively. He keeps his guard up. The thing that scares me about him is he opens up a little too wide just before he throws sometimes. He can be caught in exchanges against a sharpshooter. His best punch is his left hook to the body imo. He himself can be caught with the exact same punch when he throws that funny looking right hand. Just an observation.
Very good observation. However, Canelo needs to set his self to throw and land punches and Trout will take advantage of that by keeping him on the move. If he does that for the full 12 rounds, Canelo can and will be lost in there. This is a good risky fight that Canelo won't take.
Scar is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #15
Jai C
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar View Post
Very good observation. However, Canelo needs to set his self to throw and land punches and Trout will take advantage of that by keeping him on the move. If he does that for the full 12 rounds, Canelo can and will be lost in there. This is a good risky fight that Canelo won't take.
You are on point Scar. If Canelo does take the fight and is trailing on the cards around the 8th or 9th round, he would more than likely become reckless and look bad. The key to beating a fighter like Canelo is stamina, durability, and foot movement. If you have some pop to go with it, things could get ugly for him.
Jai C is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum