Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2007, 02:42 PM   #16
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,999
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxings best in a sound-bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
The hardcore had heard of Duran, but not the mainstream in the UK.

So, we're back to Leonard then. Make up your mind.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2007, 02:44 PM   #17
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,833
vCash: 0
Default Re: Boxings best in a sound-bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
So, we're back to Leonard then. Make up your mind.
It was not a mainstream match-up in Britain, we needed Hearns for that.
TBooze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:01 PM   #18
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,999
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxings best in a sound-bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
It was not a mainstream match-up in Britain, we needed Hearns for that.

Duran vs Leonard II certainly was. Duran was a bigger star than Hearns after that fight. In fact, Leonard vs whoever was mainstream. Hearns vs whoever wasn't. Leonard was clearly the biggest star in boxing until Tyson, you seem to be going from a 'mainstream' point of view to a 'me and my mates' point of view.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:12 PM   #19
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,833
vCash: 0
Default Re: Boxings best in a sound-bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
Duran vs Leonard II certainly was. Duran was a bigger star than Hearns after that fight. In fact, Leonard vs whoever was mainstream. Hearns vs whoever wasn't. Leonard was clearly the biggest star in boxing until Tyson, you seem to be going from a 'mainstream' point of view to a 'me and my mates' point of view.
Leonard was not the biggest star, Hagler was clearly (in Britain) the biggest non Heavyweight non British boxer, for five years (one embarrassing performance excluded) Leonard did not even fight!

And of course I have a bias against Leonard, I made that clear from the start.
TBooze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:18 PM   #20
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,999
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxings best in a sound-bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
Leonard was not the biggest star, Hagler was clearly (in Britain) the biggest non Heavyweight non British boxer, for five years (one embarrassing performance excluded) Leonard did not even fight!

And of course I have a bias against Leonard, I made that clear from the start.

Hagler wasn't as big a star as Leonard, it's not a question of bias, you can like who you want, but facts are facts. Hagler was a big star here, bigger than Hearns but not as big as Leonard. Come on.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:52 PM   #21
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,833
vCash: 0
Default Re: Boxings best in a sound-bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
Hagler wasn't as big a star as Leonard, it's not a question of bias, you can like who you want, but facts are facts. Hagler was a big star here, bigger than Hearns but not as big as Leonard. Come on.
We will have to disagree then... Blue collar fighters always appealed more to my class and the people I know.
TBooze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:56 PM   #22
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,999
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxings best in a sound-bite

So what's your reasoning behind the De La Hoya worship?
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:57 PM   #23
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,833
vCash: 0
Default Re: Boxings best in a sound-bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
So what's your reasoning behind the De La Hoya worship?
Do not really like de la Hoya...
TBooze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:58 PM   #24
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,999
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxings best in a sound-bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
Do not really like de la Hoya...

Sorry, must be getting you mixed up with someone.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:02 PM   #25
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,833
vCash: 0
Default Re: Boxings best in a sound-bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
Sorry, must be getting you mixed up with someone.
Like Leonard is my #1 fighter of the 80s, de la Hoya was my #1 for the 90s, but my favourite fighters of the 90s were Chavez, Lopez and Holyfield.
TBooze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:27 PM   #26
booradley
Mean People Kick Ass!
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 19,936
vCash: 622
Default Re: Boxings best in a sound-bite

Danny Lopez: And Still WBC Feather Weight Champion of the World DANNY "LITTLE RED" LOPEZ!!!"

Marvin Haglar: Demon Possessed

Alexis Arguello: The gentleman warrior

Roberto Duran: Natural born killer

Floyd Mayweather jr: world's most boring millionair


Boo
booradley is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:37 PM   #27
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,999
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxings best in a sound-bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
but my favourite fighters of the 90s were Chavez, Lopez and Holyfield.


Good choices. Mine were Nigel, Evander, Lennox, Yuri Arbachakov and Humberto Gonzalez.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013