Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-05-2008, 02:10 PM   #1
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Tyson vs Marciano in their respective primes

This thread has probably been done earlier, but I haven't seen it so I'm interested in your views.

Tyson had superior speed, power and technique, while Marciano was a superior in-fighter and had vastly superior stamina and will IMO.

My take is that Rocky would win if he could take it into the later rounds, but I don't think he would succeed with that. Surely, a guy who was floored early by both Walcott and Moore would be KO'd or TKO'd by such a vicious puncher and finisher that Tyson was in his prime. If he could take into the later rounds, though, I think he would eventually wear Tyson down and inflict some bad damage in close on his way to a KO-win. At least if it was over 15 rounds.

Your views?
Bokaj is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2008, 02:20 PM   #2
sthomas
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Tyson vs Marciano in their respective primes

Marciano weathers the early storm and KO's Tyson around 10 rounds. Marciano had a very underrated unorthodox defense.
sthomas is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
Sardu
RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012
ESB Addict

Regardless of Marciano's obviously higher historical standing, I cannot see him, at about 185lbs, defeating the best Tyson. Louis was old and used up and not crisp when he met the Rock in 1951. I use Louis as an example because be was about 218lbs to Rocky's 187lbs. in that fight. Tyson was about he same weight as that Louis, but more compact and explosive as well as being superfast. Think of Tyson as a prime Dempsey only stronger, just as fast, and an event more powerful puncher. If anyone can stop the granite chinned Marciano it's Tyson. But I'll instead predict that Tyson will bust up Marciano, knock him down a couple of times and the referee will be wise and not let the slaughter continue. Tyson has too many weapons at his peak.

Tyson TKO 6 Marciano
Sardu is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
sthomas
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If a prime Marciano and Tyson fought in 1989, Rocky would have weighed about 210-215. He deliberately kept his weight down for the competition of the day.
sthomas is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
Sardu
RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthomas
If a prime Marciano and Tyson fought in 1989, Rocky would have weighed about 210-215. He deliberately kept his weight down for the competition of the day.
Sorry, I didn't know it was a hypothetical situation - my bad. I think Rocky would be woefully out of shape at the weights you are stating. Tyson was similar to Marciano in height but seemed to have a much larger upper body. They both had thick legs. With modern nutrition, supplements, steroids, etc. Marciano could nowadays put on functional bulk ala Holyfield. But I think what he did worked just fine. I don't believe one can successfully predict what would happen if we took an athlete from yesteryear and then transport him into a different era. I think you are better off taking the prime Marciano of the early 1950's, as is, against the prime Tyson of the late 80's, as is, IMO. That seems more logical I think.
Sardu is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Marciano in 5.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 03:26 PM   #7
Jase2483
Everyday I'm Hustlin'
ESB Jr Member

maybe i'm smoking crack - but I just dont get rocky.....and i've watched countless of his fights.

Yea he could take punishment, yea he never lost, yea he was hard to knock down....I dont think he could have handled tyson who was faster, stronger, out-weighed him, and above and beyond that was BY FAR A BETTER RING TACTICIAN......tyson's technical ability was way ahead of rocky amrciano in my opinion.
Jase2483 is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #8
Sonny's jab

vCash:

People in his own time didn't "get Rocky" either. He had a crude, ugly, awkward style. Many "refined" boxers tried to exploit this, but they just couldn't figure him out once the bell rang, they left the ring not only hurting but often admitting that he "out-thought" them in there, as well as having out-fought them.

Marciano didn't care who he was fighting, he liked to know nothing about his opponents, because he didn't want expect anything in particular, he was prepared for anything and everything.

I think his low-crouching uneven tempo fighting, with unorthodox punching from weird angles, would be a nightmare for Tyson.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:45 PM   #9
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

It would be a draw.

There now can we please not embark on this merry go round yet another time.
janitor is online now  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 03:48 PM   #10
Jase2483
Everyday I'm Hustlin'
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab
People in his own time didn't "get Rocky" either. He had a crude, ugly, awkward style. Many "refined" boxers tried to exploit this, but they just couldn't figure him out once the bell rang, they left the ring not only hurting but often admitting that he "out-thought" them in there, as well as having out-fought them.

Marciano didn't care who he was fighting, he liked to know nothing about his opponents, because he didn't want expect anything in particular, he was prepared for anything and everything.

I think his low-crouching uneven tempo fighting, with unorthodox punching from weird angles, would be a nightmare for Tyson.
Weird, but thank you for this post.

I think maybe I'm over-analyzing his style rather than paying attention to the fights themselves. I still think he was in the right weightclass at the right time(aka competition wasn't at its peak in the HW divison while he ruled the roost)
Jase2483 is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 03:51 PM   #11
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj
This thread has probably been done earlier, but I haven't seen it so I'm interested in your views.

Tyson had superior speed, power and technique, while Marciano was a superior in-fighter and had vastly superior stamina and will IMO.

My take is that Rocky would win if he could take it into the later rounds, but I don't think he would succeed with that. Surely, a guy who was floored early by both Walcott and Moore would be KO'd or TKO'd by such a vicious puncher and finisher that Tyson was in his prime. If he could take into the later rounds, though, I think he would eventually wear Tyson down and inflict some bad damage in close on his way to a KO-win. At least if it was over 15 rounds.

Your views?
15 rounds wouldn't mean a thing, as it wouldn't last that long. Tyson by KO within the first few rounds, pick one.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 04:34 PM   #12
Sonny's jab

vCash:

I dont think Marciano gets knocked out early, that's just crazy talk to me. Marciano was always in such terrific condition, and had awesome recuperative powers and determination, I cant see him getting knocked out. Maybe late in a fight, but not early.

When Walcott knocked him down Marciano was straight back up, and later said that he thought to himself "He might do that 5 or 6 times tonight, this could be a tough fight" ... That's Rocky's mindset, after being decked in a fight for the first time in his career, in the first minute of his first championship fight, no panic, no THOUGHT of losing, just an acceptance that the guy was gonna be hard to beat. As it was, Walcott could not repeat that feat. Maybe Tyson could, maybe Tyson has the ability to knock Marciano down 5 or 6 times in the early rounds, but Rocky's gonna be hitting back after the first knockdown - and how much can Tyson take ?
Does anyone believe Tyson has that same mindset ?
Lesser men than Marciano survive the early Tyson onslaught.
Marciano was very very tough. And very very awkward, and rough, and hard-punching. Marciano was a special fighter. He's not going out like Tubbs or Berbick, IMO. He's a cut above.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:46 PM   #13
radianttwilight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Marciano gets beaten down early. Marciano is one of my favorite heavyweights, but he has neither the size nor the style to beat Tyson. Among ALL the modern heavyweight champions, I think Tyson could've benefitted the most by having some <200lb guys to feast on. It's a shame he never got any of them.

Upon further investigation, I came upon this fact - from his first title fight (Berbick's WBC) to his retirement, his lightest opponent was none other than former lightheavy Michael Spinks, who still managed to weigh in at 212lbs, whom he destroyed in 91 seconds, I think?

I highly doubt that anyone smaller than prime Tyson would beat him, much less somebody who weighed in at 185 (giving up a full thirty pounds) and had a come-forward brawler/slugger style.

Last edited by punch13; 01-30-2007 at 11:53 AM.
radianttwilight is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 06:12 PM   #14
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Don't understand the rosy notion that Marciano is invulnerable...
Russell is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 06:17 PM   #15
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Don't understand the rosy notion that Marciano is invulnerable...
And I dont understand the rosie notice that prime Tyson was invincible.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum