Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Yuriorkis Gamboa terrible performance

Bounced off the canvas like a basketball

Flicking out punches like a lazy Rigondeaux

Chin with a made in taiwan label on it

Weighed in at 130, got into the ring at 148

Turned down 1.3 million to fight Rios and only got 50k to fight that guy last night.

Not looking good for Yuri Gamboa
lirva is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500
Default Re: Yuriorkis Gamboa terrible performance

An element of truth to some of the points but you've got to look at the context to present a more balanced view. The guy has been out of the ring far, far too long. That hurts anybody.

Also, Farenas was a good opponent. Some early career losses but never been stopped, can punch and clearly can take a punch. The guy has a lot of cuts blighting his record too so I think some of the perhaps justified criticism (Gamboa fought in spurts far too much) should be tempered with some credit for Farenas.

This was a tough fight after over a year out of the ring which is unbelievably bad for a guy like Gamboa who is in his 30's now and is not going to be a late developer.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885

HE got dropped by a pretty big punch but came back and looked fine. I don't see his chin being that bad.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

His chin is not that great, too many occasions to write off now. I don't think hes ever been massively hurt, but knocked over and more importantly stunned a few too many times for comfort. It does get exaggerated though. I think he just has an average to decent sort of chin but a massively aggressive style that leaves it exposed. People used to question Calzaghe's chin at times but eventually realized it was pretty damn good, when you walk into shots and fight very exposed you're going to take punches less aggressive guys don't tend to.

I just don't think he worked hard enough last night, he allowed Farenas to get a lot of confidence. Looked like he was worried about the distance after such a time out, and when that's on your mind its going to cut your work rate in two.

Not a memorable performance, but a very good fight and he really needs a big, big fight now.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
lirva
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Can't be coming in at 148 tffp and expect to have a solid chin. 18 pounds is a lot for a 130 pound guy. That's 14% of his body weight gained in one day.

He needs to move up to 135 or even 140. His hand speed will be a serious weapon up there and his chin better improve because broner will be landing hooks if they fight and God help him if rios lands some clean hooks.
lirva is online now  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
shaunster101
Yido
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

What Arum tried to do to Gamboa with the Rios fight is some real shady shit. Still makes me shake my head when I think about it.

Anyone who calls that a duck wants their head checking.
shaunster101 is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirva View Post
Can't be coming in at 148 tffp and expect to have a solid chin. 18 pounds is a lot for a 130 pound guy. That's 14% of his body weight gained in one day.

He needs to move up to 135 or even 140. His hand speed will be a serious weapon up there and his chin better improve because broner will be landing hooks if they fight and God help him if rios lands some clean hooks.
I agree, but we could well be having this discussion about so many fighters. It's a problem with the current system. Problem is none of the other ways are without fault.

Gamboa should probably be at 135, 18lbs ought to be telling them something.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

Call me crazy but Rios fight ain't as simple as Rios can punch and is bigger than Gamboa = Rios wins. Rios can look atrocious when shown some movement and angles. Plus he's not that devastating a puncher, he's grinded nearly all his stoppages out. He'd be a lot, and a I mean a lot slower than anything Gamboa is used to seeing.

People had these theories when Manny Pac moved up, and I'm not for one second saying Gamboa is as good, or posessing the same durability. But speed, movement and explosive punching count for a lot when moving up.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
lirva
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'd pick Gamboa over rios for that reason. I think his chin improves if he moves up too. Rios has a chin so I'd expect him to find Gamboa at some point and if gamboas chin doesn't improve and he thought farenas hit hard when he dropped him, he will find himself being revived with smelling salts if rios starts connecting with his swings
lirva is online now  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #10
Chuckle Vision
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Gamboa, like Andre Berto, was trying to be too much like Mayweather, trying to be cute and methodical instead of doing what he does best, swarming opponents with punches in bunches
Chuckle Vision is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2012, 01:20 AM   #11
lester proctor
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunster101 View Post
What Arum tried to do to Gamboa with the Rios fight is some real shady shit. Still makes me shake my head when I think about it.

What was he trying to do? AFAIK it was Team Gamboa that called out Rios. Are you saying the fight was forced on them?
lester proctor is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2012, 01:27 AM   #12
The Buture
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunster101 View Post

What was it Arum did, Shaunster?
The Buture is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2012, 02:06 AM   #13
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Gamboa is done.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2012, 04:20 AM   #14
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

Why do you think so Flea?
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2012, 05:12 AM   #15
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Gamboa looked poor

And this is coming from a guy who ranks him highly and has placed a lot of faith in him from day 1, the inactivity has stopped him in his tracks, absolutely no doubt about it, Gamboa is a fighter who simply cannot afford to be inactive, it really helps him in no way shape or form.

From the weekends outing people will now be questioning him! if his engine and cardio fails him against Rios, he'll never fight again because Rios will hammer him, but I do feel Rios can and will only beat Gamboa if his cardio fails him, and i mean this in terms of "keeping Rios off" he will need to be active in doing so, very active, way more active than he was on Saturday against a much bigger and better fighter.

Arum should make Rios Gamboa now before risking losing another decent fight as people seem to have forgotten Rios was out boxed by Abril and was gifted a terrible decision!
thewinfella is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum