Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: What happens in this clash of the Titans fight?
Tyson wins by KO. 6 40.00%
Tyson by TKO or decision. 3 20.00%
Liston wins by KO. 5 33.33%
Liston wins by TKO or decision 1 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Sonny Liston Vs. Mike Tyson. Do you see this goin the distance?

Could Sonny keep Mike at bay with that jab and his strength , Or would Tyson find a way to jump on Liston early and do some serious damage. I do believe that if anyone goes down its Sonny for sure, but keep in mind if Tyson couldnt make Sonny miss with that great defense Iron Mike had, Tyson would be gettin hit with some pretty big shots. Or do they stay cautious and decide not to trade shot for shot do you see it goin the distance in a 12 rounder?
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2012, 12:42 AM   #2
DrBanzai
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: Sonny Liston Vs. Mike Tyson. Do you see this goin the distance?

Prime Liston (1960 or so) destroys Tyson with ease. Tyson would wet his pants at the idea of fighting Liston, let alone getting in the ring with him.

There should be an option for Tyson ducking Liston, because that is what would happen.
DrBanzai is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 01:05 AM   #3
gr33nfather
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Tyson too fast for Liston
gr33nfather is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 02:40 AM   #4
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBanzai View Post
Prime Liston (1960 or so) destroys Tyson with ease. Tyson would wet his pants at the idea of fighting Liston, let alone getting in the ring with him.

There should be an option for Tyson ducking Liston, because that is what would happen.
He ducked Foreman so I cant argue with you. You may be right Tyson may not have wanted shit to do with Liston.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:43 AM   #5
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr33nfather View Post
Tyson too fast for Liston
So do you think He could take Listons power and still gethim outa there quick!?
Old 12-07-2012, 03:01 AM   #6
godlikerich
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
Could Sonny keep Mike at bay with that jab and his strength , Or would Tyson find a way to jump on Liston early and do some serious damage. I do believe that if anyone goes down its Sonny for sure, but keep in mind if Tyson couldnt make Sonny miss with that great defense Iron Mike had, Tyson would be gettin hit with some pretty big shots. Or do they stay cautious and decide not to trade shot for shot do you see it goin the distance in a 12 rounder?
First off, great avatar. Second, I think Liston could be a stylistic nightmare for Tyson. Cus always told him to avoid strong and hard hitting sluggers a la Foreman, hence the reason Tyson wanted nothing to do with Foreman during Foreman's comeback. People always refer to what Foreman did to Frazier to predict what Foreman (or Liston) might do to Tyson. This is an unfair comparison. Tyson was faster, bigger and started fast out of the gates whereas Frazier started slowly, and was VERY vulnerable in the first 3 or so rounds (after that he was basically a beast who was very hard to stop).

Tyson then does have a good chance of doing some damage early against someone like Liston who, like Foreman was extremely strong physically (more so than Tyson) and who had extreme power in either hand (also like Foreman). Liston also had that jab. That jab was a thing of beauty and carnage - it was clearly like being hit with a telephone pole. Liston's reach was 84 inches I think. Tyson would have all sorts of problems getting past that hard jab and if he did get close he'd be either tied up (a la Bonecrusher smith; Tyson always struggled with strong guys who could tie him up when he got close) or pushed back and hit again (as Foreman would likely do to him).

I can imagine Tyson losing the stare down, steaming in, landing some good shots (perhaps even dropping Liston) and then starting to get hit with the jab, being pushed back, physically dominated and then stopped around 7 or 8. Tyson was a master of scaring his opponents; against Liston he would shit his pants IMO. Liston is arguably a harder match up for Tyson than Foreman would be for him purely because of the intimidation factor and that jab from hell.
godlikerich is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 03:26 AM   #7
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by godlikerich View Post
First off, great avatar. Second, I think Liston could be a stylistic nightmare for Tyson. Cus always told him to avoid strong and hard hitting sluggers a la Foreman, hence the reason Tyson wanted nothing to do with Foreman during Foreman's comeback. People always refer to what Foreman did to Frazier to predict what Foreman (or Liston) might do to Tyson. This is an unfair comparison. Tyson was faster, bigger and started fast out of the gates whereas Frazier started slowly, and was VERY vulnerable in the first 3 or so rounds (after that he was basically a beast who was very hard to stop).

Tyson then does have a good chance of doing some damage early against someone like Liston who, like Foreman was extremely strong physically (more so than Tyson) and who had extreme power in either hand (also like Foreman). Liston also had that jab. That jab was a thing of beauty and carnage - it was clearly like being hit with a telephone pole. Liston's reach was 84 inches I think. Tyson would have all sorts of problems getting past that hard jab and if he did get close he'd be either tied up (a la Bonecrusher smith; Tyson always struggled with strong guys who could tie him up when he got close) or pushed back and hit again (as Foreman would likely do to him).

I can imagine Tyson losing the stare down, steaming in, landing some good shots (perhaps even dropping Liston) and then starting to get hit with the jab, being pushed back, physically dominated and then stopped around 7 or 8. Tyson was a master of scaring his opponents; against Liston he would shit his pants IMO. Liston is arguably a harder match up for Tyson than Foreman would be for him purely because of the intimidation factor and that jab from hell.
Thankyou my man, and I agree with most everything you said except I believe tson has him outa there way before the 7th or 8th..
Old 12-07-2012, 03:29 AM   #8
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

I dont believe for one second Liston would have been a stylistic nightmare for Tyson. Liston was to one denominational.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
DaveK
Vicious & Malicious
ESB Addict

Quote:
I dont believe for one second Liston would have been a stylistic nightmare for Tyson. Liston was to one denominational.

Yeah, I heard that too- he only paid in ones, no matter how much the product or service cost...
DaveK is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

Tyson would have the edge on speed,so his best chance would be to jump on Liston and knock him out within five rounds or so. If this attempt fails,I see Liston softening Mike up with his jab and getting the kayo,himself.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #11
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Why are we doing this thread???? We already have this same thread on this same 1st page of classic started a mere 8 days ago dedicated to this same topic???
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum