Old 12-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #301
VivaNazVegas
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 585
Default Re: Discuss fighters Jones Jr ducked in his prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Has anyone got the video where Collins is in the ring with Jones trying to get Jones to face him and Jones acts like Collins isnt there
Roy didn't avoid Collins, Collins avoided Roy.
Jajajajajajajajaja.
Owned
VivaNazVegas is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #302
irishny
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

[quote=bailey;14379984]
Quote:
did Toney fight at SMW again? Why not
I schooled you on this before. Do you think when Floyd went to WW, he could get back to LW where he had been around 2 years previously?
That doesnt, but the fact he never fought at SMW again, and admitted his struggles and often fought well outside of SMW on a regular basis points to trouble making weight
So do I. I find that amusing
Depends how well he made the weight I suppose. He could have been sluggish if he had weight making problems
Really? How was Toney a better win than many of Calzaghes at SMW?
look at the level Toney was fighting at, when SMW champ

1993 he wins the title from iran barkley a fighter who years earlier was blown away by nigel benn in 1 round and pummelled to a loss by a shot roberto duran barkley went onto lose 11 out of 25 fights following this fight and never beat anyone who was remotely good in doing so,the guy was so desperate he was even plying his trade as a HW in the late 90's against the likes of berbick and they say this era is a joke

govonor chambers a guy with a career record of 9 wins 7 losses, all 3 fights prior to toney were ko losses!

ricky thomas: won 11 lost 14,the 4 fights he had prior to toney all losses!

glenn thomas:won 29 lost 8, lost to roy jones prior to toney and finished his career with a first round ko loss to jeff lacy.

danny garcia: won 30 lost 22, was coming off losses to chris pyatt (a steve collins victim) lamar parks etc

larry prather: won 19 lost 24,lost his last 5 fights prior to the toney fight even losing to nicky piper

tony thornton: won 37 lost 7,lost to chris eubank a year earlier.

anthony hembrick: won 31 lost 8,lost to maske prior to toney and orlin norris a year earlier.

tim littles: won 27 lost 3,maybe one of his better wins,had fought mainly bums with the exception of a close UD over frankie liles,went onto lose to frankie liles in a 2nd contest following the toney fight.

vinsom durham: won 21 lost 37 enough said.

charles williams: won 37 lost 7 drew 3,lost to maske prior to toney.
(this post was improvised from ESB great Silencer, on one of his great threads)and finally the Jones fight and, That was Jones big SMW victory where Toney was alledgedly weight weakend, other than that Jones didnt do much at SMW.

I consider several of Calzaghes SMW victories better than that, looking at that SMW resume and hearing how Toney was so weakend and never able to fight at SMW again

Couldnt beat old McCallum at first ask, Johnson was a SD. Then T Littles , look at how Barkley was out in a round to Benn before that.
Kessler was an undefeated unified SMW champ 39-0 who had beaten WBA champ Siaca, 3 time and reigning WBC champ Beyer, Mundine a former SMW champ who became a SMW champ again, Lucas who was a world rated and former SMW champ, Andrade who was undefeated and looked to have KOd Bute years later. Even after Calzaghe, Kessler beat undefeated Sartison who became WBA regular champ, Froch who was undefeated WBC champ and Magee who was WBA regular champ.
Eubank was also a better win than Toney.

Beating Eubank who was a 2 weight champ and with a better SMW resume than Toney by a long way

You may not be aware, but Thornberry was a weak showcase defence put on as what was supposed to be part of a double bill with Steve Collins on the undercard to match them later, only for Collins to pull out.
What you dont note is that as a World champ Jones was fighting a 12-7-2 fighter and a 25-11-0 fighter which is far worse, and you forget how as a SMW champ, Jones was fighting a blown up LW.
At Calzaghes time of only having 22 fights and facing Eubank, What was Jones doing in fight 23? Fighting a Eubank victim
Ah so you're doing the retard thing of pretending that Toney didnt have huge wins opver HOF fights at 160, because that apparently has nothing to do with his fights a couiple of years later at 168.

Clever troll. Because his wins and Nunn and McCallum werent at 168, even though both those fighters did end up fighting there(and higher)

You use some clever trolling techniques.Ill give you that.

By the way that "blown up lw" was rated in the top 10 at smw at the time and had been campaigning there for quite some time.

If you want tp go back far enough. Jones was clowning world ranked 70-3-2 in his 18th pro fight 6 months after Castro had been competitive with Norris for a world title fight,andf who went on to be WBA middleweight chamop AFTER!. Who was Joe fighting at that stage of his career?

Eubank hadnt won a big fight in about 3 years,and would only gho on to lose twice at cruiserweight afterwards,so no,that win is nowhere f'in near Toney who was a 2 weight champion,current title holder and who would go on to win a world title at cruiser after.

You deride Toneys victories yet list Anthony Mundine and Manny Siaca as amongst Kesslers biggest wins!

Mundine is most famous for being brutally KO'd by one of the lightest hitting champs in the history of the sport and beating bums in Australia.

Manny Siacas biggest win was beating Mundine!

Last edited by irishny; 12-11-2012 at 04:53 PM.
irishny is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #303
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

[quote=bailey;14379854][quote]

Quote:
These double standards are terrible Loudon . You have implied before that you dont rate governing body mandatories, even when an opponent has been good, and then you go and knock the world title. Here you have 2 mandatories, where one of them had been beaten in a WBO title shot previously, yet you say the WBO was irelevant then, but now when the same fighter does nothing after and becomes an IBF mandatory he suddenly becomes relevant . Double standards Loudon. You dont learn
There's no double standards at all, and you've made some good points. I was just explaining why he fought them that's all.

Quote:
The guy hadnt beaten anyone and his 3 fights leading to Jones were against a 9-3-1 fighter, a 2-3-0 fighter, 9-4-0 fighter. Yet because he was rated highly by these governing bodies you think he is suddenly worthy and great. He was KOd by a 12-8-3 fighter
Where have I said he was worthy and great? I agree with you. Some of the rankings are a joke.

Quote:
Finally. Be sure you dont want to back track as normal and bring in more double standards, or do the bit where you imagine what Jones was thinking and then post that as a fact
Ha! That's rich coming from you!

Quote:
There is a whole list of fighters that seemed to want to fight Jones and had done more at the weight, yet you will say they should have fought in America, even though the biggest SMW fights and money were in Britain then.
Why don't you read my post properly. There's lots of fighters on the list that were more deserving of a shot.

My argument is:

Not ALL OF THEM were. Two fighters didn't even fight at 168.

Quote:
Eubank was very interested and wanted to fight Roy.
No he wasn't.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #304
irishny
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Why do people still think that Eubank wanted to fight Roy?

THE MAN HIMSELF HAS SAID HE DIDNT WANT TO FIGHT HIM IN HIS PRIME!!!!
irishny is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #305
Axe
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudon View Post
Prove it Jordan.

Explain how and show me proof.
I think the best proof for Jones ducking Michalczewski is that Roy negotiatied a contract that stated the HBO commentators were NOT allowed to mention the words "Dariusz Miczalczewski" on air during any of Roy's fights. I remember Merchant was really pissed!
Axe is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #306
Leftsmash
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 400

Loudon owns them again. Classic.

Seriously hasn't this same debate been rehashed how many times over the past few months?
Leftsmash is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #307
banny
Contender
ESB Senior Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAP2JdvnDkY[/ame]
banny is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #308
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Has anyone got the video where Collins is in the ring with Jones trying to get Jones to face him and Jones acts like Collins isnt there
This is what Collins has been telling the papers in the last few days.

What he doesn't tell you is, Lou De Bella and HBO had no interest in making that fight at that time. Collins had been inactive, and there wouldn't have been a lot of U.S. interest in the fight. He didn't have a belt, and he wasn't a mandatory. HBO dismissed him, and they wanted Roy to fight Reggie Johnson (who'd beaten Collins) instead, to unify the 175 titles.

In the end, that's what happened. In his very next fight he unified against Reggie. Of course none of this is ever reported. If Roy was scared of Collins at 29/30, then why was he asking Murad Muhammad to try and get him fights with Holy, Tyson and Lewis at 34-35?

Last edited by Loudon; 12-11-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #309
nick6
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
1.30 onwards

Heres steve collins gate crashing one of roy jones post fights interviews and roy doing his best to ignore him. Interestingly hbo are also callings roys opponents crap here.

Edit: i dont know why my videos aren't embedding >.<

Last edited by nick6; 12-11-2012 at 05:44 PM.
nick6 is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #310
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe View Post
I think the best proof for Jones ducking Michalczewski is that Roy negotiatied a contract that stated the HBO commentators were NOT allowed to mention the words "Dariusz Miczalczewski" on air during any of Roy's fights. I remember Merchant was really pissed!
Hi mate, that's right, but there's a hell of a lot more to it than that.

In my opinion, Roy at the time was just frustrated with the whole thing.

If you want some more info on this, type into google, eastside boxing Jones Jr and Darius interviews. (I'm sorry, I can't give you a link at the moment.) It's still there, I've just checked.

There's only four posts on the thread, and it's from the 25th of July 2007.

In the thread, there's a full interview from both fighters, talking to Francis Walker.

If you've got time, check it out, it's very interesting. Roy is clearly very frustrated.

Also, if you look at post 78 on this thread, you'll see links that I have posted with regards to the difficulty that Roy's advisor at the time, Brad Jacobs, had trying to negotiate with DM's promoter/advisor.

If you have time, it's worth the read. It's very interesting.

Regards, Loudon.

Last edited by Loudon; 12-11-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #311
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

vCash: 760

The Toney weight drained excuse is bullshit..

Toney was always naturally bigger than the MW and SMW weight classes.. didn't stop him from winning titles in either of them. That excuse was always there waiting for when he lost...

When Roy and Toney fought, Toney was not only the best SMW, but one of the best fighters in any weight, period... Roy was an underdog, took a huge risk, it was viewed as a huge test, and he dominated... Great victory, anyone trying to take that away because of some weight excuse is obviously a hater.
Mind Reader is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #312
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick6 View Post
1.30 onwards

Heres steve collins gate crashing one of roy jones post fights interviews and roy doing his best to ignore him. Interestingly hbo are also callings roys opponents crap here.

Edit: i dont know why my videos aren't embedding >.<
Hi mate, see my post just before yours, post 308.

HBO didn't want a Steve Collins fight. They wanted him to unify the 175 division against Reggie Johnson. That's what happened. He fought Reggie in his very next fight.

The list HBO put up had Hop, Reggie, DM and Telesco in it.

As I've just mentioned, Roy fought Reggie in his next fight.

Hop wouldn't take the 40 per cent for the rematch.

DM didn't want to fight Roy, as discussed in my previous post to Axe. Go and read post 78 and look at the links.

He also went onto fight Telesco in January 2000.

Regards, Loudon.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #313
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftsmash View Post
Loudon owns them again. Classic.

Seriously hasn't this same debate been rehashed how many times over the past few months?
Hi mate,

Around and around we go ha!
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #314
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

vCash: 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatTheMan View Post
Lol. And you just keep talking out of your ass. You are not the type to have proof disturbing a good opinion.

I call them how i see them...

Not only do you accuse Roy of ducking a ridiculous ammount of fighters, that you don't even know all the details of, but you can't even mention the Toney victory without putting (drained) in front of his name..

Thats pretty much all the proof I need, discredit Roy as much as possible, list any fighter possible and call it a duck.
Mind Reader is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #315
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

[quote=irishny;14380082]
Quote:
Ah so you're doing the retard thing of pretending that Toney didnt have huge wins opver HOF fights at 160, because that apparently has nothing to do with his fights a couiple of years later at 168.

Clever troll. Because his wins and Nunn and McCallum werent at 168, even though both those fighters did end up fighting there(and higher)

You use some clever trolling techniques.Ill give you that.

By the way that "blown up lw" was rated in the top 10 at smw at the time and had been campaigning there for quite some time.

If you want tp go back far enough. Jones was clowning world ranked 70-3-2 in his 18th pro fight 6 months after Castro had been competitive with Norris for a world title fight,andf who went on to be WBA middleweight chamop AFTER!. Who was Joe fighting at that stage of his career?

Eubank hadnt won a big fight in about 3 years,and would only gho on to lose twice at cruiserweight afterwards,so no,that win is nowhere f'in near Toney who was a 2 weight champion,current title holder and who would go on to win a world title at cruiser after.

You deride Toneys victories yet list Anthony Mundine and Manny Siaca as amongst Kesslers biggest wins!

Mundine is most famous for being brutally KO'd by one of the lightest hitting champs in the history of the sport and beating bums in Australia.

Manny Siacas biggest win was beating Mundine!
Great post!
Loudon is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum