Old 12-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #76
McGuinty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Discuss fighters Jones Jr ducked in his prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudon View Post
That's fair enough mate, and I agree Roy messed him about.

HBO wanted Calzaghe and Collins to face each other, with the winner possibly fighting Roy. It was Lou De Bella who wanted that. Collins then had to retire, and Joe passed up the chance of fighting in the U.S. to raise his profile, by saying "I'm not chasing Roy Jones, I don't want tough fights."

Again, I've got so much respect for Collins, but people like to imply that Roy was scared of him etc.

If Roy had've been scared of Collins at 29, then what the hell was he doing up at heavyweight at 34, asking his promoter to try and get him fights with Lewis and Tyson?

Regards, Loudon.
Maybe your right. Maybe it was all just politics as to why they never fought. (To be honest, in my opinion, Jones was far too good a boxer for anyone)

Anyway, dont want to spend to long here. Good luck man.
McGuinty is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #77
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

[quote=Loudon;14340543]
Quote:

He COULD have accepted the 40%, but he DIDN'T!

Roy had a win over him and was fighting at 175.

There would had to have been a catchweight.

Roy already had intentions of moving up to heavy at the time.

So he wasn't going to come down in weight, when he knew he'd have to bulk up soon, to fight a guy that he hated, and who he'd already beaten for less than 60%

Do you think if Bernard had've beaten Roy in 93, and was up at 175, he'd have come down for Roy for 50/50? Ha! I don't thinks so!

If Bernard had have wanted that fight as much as what he told people that he did, then he'd have taken the cut.

But he didn't. Actions speak louder than words.
There is more than one way to duck a fight, and making unrealistic demands is one of them.... Nevermind Roy....
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #78
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post
What a garbage interview....Did we excpect RJJ to take any blame...Oh well it certainly was entertaining.
Why should the best fighter in the world, who was the unified champ, have to go to Germany?

Also, HBO wanted to stage a double header to promote the fight, but DM's promoter/advisor Peter Kohl wasn't interested.

Promoter Kohl: "Michalczewski is not Undercard

Roy Jones wants to "Tiger" in the context of program

last updated: 12.07.2000 - 17:55 New York (sid) The latest idea from the camp of Profibox superstar Roy Jones Jr. would bring light heavyweight champion Dariusz Michalczewski crazy. The pay-TV giant HBO wants the 18th Title defense against WBO titlist David Telesco get into the Framework Programme of the World Cup of triple champion Jones against Eric Harding in New Orleans. This is the sale of the Jones fights in the HBO Pay-Per-View offshoot TVKO be boosted.

"I find this idea perfectly. She is bold, but not outside the Realtitšt", HBO's executive director Kerry Davis said in the USA Today newspaper. For the fight against the unattractive Harding to the TV fans shell out the equivalent of 70 marks proud. Participation by Michalczewski would significantly enhance the event.
"It's a great idea, and Roy is interested in," said Jones-lawyer Stan Levin and presented Michalczewski then even a title unification with Jones promised, "If he makes the first move, would Roy in turn seriously considering a fight in Germany do. "

Michalczewski wants to crown has long been a fight against Roy Jones, to the best light heavyweight in the world. The Hamburg promoter Klaus-Peter Kohl had the WBC WBA IBF champion made an offer over ten million dollars, Jones calls but twice. Michalczewski, whose fight against Telesco also on 9 September was held last week scolded again that Jones would chicken out before him.
Kohl is HBO's offer, however, still skeptical. "Dariusz is no Undercard Fighter Like the American television network Roy Jones would like to see as the main fighters, the Germans also want Dariusz as an attraction also are financial issues not clarified why should Dariusz.. always suffer a disadvantage? "

Also, in 2001, Roy's advisor Brad Jacobs, met with HBO representatives to discuss the fight, but they couldn't get Kohl to negotiate.

In the works: German promoter Peter Kohl is coming to New York next week to meet with representatives for Roy Jones Jr., including executives with HBO, to discuss a meeting between Jones and Dariusz Michalczewski. It is the most positive sign yet that a deal can be worked out.

Brad Jacobs, the manager for Jones, said yesterday that there had been little progress in his efforts to get Kohl to even come up with a counter-offer to two proposals he has sent him. Jacobs said there hadn't even been any telephone conversations between himself and Kohl. Kohl rejected his offers through the mail.
In the works: German promoter Peter Kohl is coming to New York next week to meet with representatives for Roy Jones Jr., including executives with HBO, to discuss a meeting between Jones and Dariusz Michalczewski. It is the most positive sign yet that a deal can be worked out.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

July 25, 2001 – By Paul Upham: WBC, WBA, IBF and IBO light-heavyweight champion Roy Jones Jr’s adviser and representative Brad Jacobs has denied claims by WBO title-holder Dariusz Michalczewski’s promoter and Universum head Klaus Peter Kohl that a Jones Jr- Michalczewski bout is close to being made. “Unless he’s got some magical offer that he’s putting on the table to us, I really don’t know what he is talking about,” said Jacobs.

“I haven’t talked to him in over two months. Kerry Davis from HBO hasn’t talked to him in nearly a month, so I don’t know where he can come off and say anything like that since we haven’t had any conversations.”

With Jones contracted to HBO for five more fights and his star fading, the network realizes that Michalczewski is the one opponent who can help rejuvenate interest in him. After the Harmon bout, HBO's Kery Davis said he would go all out to put the bout together.

"We've tried to solicit a number from them to give us a starting point in negotiations, but I can't even get Kohl on the phone," Davis said. "We can't even get him to give us an absurd number to start the ball rolling. But we're trying."

Jones is fighting Gonzalez on PPV in part because his HBO deal calls for only two fights a year. HBO is saving the second one for a possible Michalczewski bout. "This allows me to keep that fight on course for later this year," HBO's Kery Davis said. "If he fights a summer bout on HBO, it doesn't leave money for a Michalczewski fight, and I want that fight on HBO."

"He needs a big fight," said Kery Davis, HBO senior VP of programming. "There's nothing else to say. That's the bottom line."

Lining that up will be difficult because two fighters fans want to see him meet - Bernard Hopkins and Felix Trinidad - have signed on for a middleweight unification tournament. And Dariusz Michalczewski, a Polish light heavyweight who boxes primarily in Germany, is refusing the come to the U.S. to fight Jones. And Jones has said that he isn't going to Germany to meet Michalczewski. Jones doesn't even believe a KO against Michalczewski is enough in Germany.(Graciano I fight comes to mind)

Davis said Michalczewski and his promoter, Peter Kohl, have made negotiating difficult. But HBO is moving in that direction.

"It's Michalczewski or bust," Davis said. "We've been trying to make this fight for weeks."

CASE CLOSED!

Thanks to General Zod, for the links.

Last edited by Loudon; 12-07-2012 at 04:27 AM.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #79
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichu View Post
Prime roy = the time he was beating up taxi drivers, and looking good at that.
Yeah I wish I could have gotten a ride in James Toney's cab, that would have been great.

Oh and Tarver's, Ruiz's, and Reggie Johnson's too.

They're a great cab company!
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #80
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuinty View Post
Maybe your right. Maybe it was all just politics as to why they never fought. (To be honest, in my opinion, Jones was far too good a boxer for anyone)

Anyway, dont want to spend to long here. Good luck man.
Ok mate, nice talking to you.

See you later.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #81
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

[quote=PhillyPhan69;14340605]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudon View Post

There is more than one way to duck a fight, and making unrealistic demands is one of them.... Nevermind Roy....
Unrealistic?

40% would have made Bernard big money.

It was unrealistic for Bernard to be wanting 50/50 under the circumstances.

What should the split have been, for Roy to come DOWN IN WEIGHT, to fight a guy who he'd already BEATEN?

Keep hating!
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #82
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

[quote=Loudon;14340696]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post

Unrealistic?

40% would have made Bernard big money.

It was unrealistic for Bernard to be wanting 50/50 under the circumstances.

What should the split have been, for Roy to come DOWN IN WEIGHT, to fight a guy who he'd already BEATEN?

Keep hating!
Keep huggin'
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #83
Jordan_Davies
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 12201

Chris Eubank
Nigel Benn
Gerald Mclellan
Steve Collins
Joe Calzaghe
Dairuisz Michaelzweski
Lennox Lewis
Jordan_Davies is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #84
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Collins is an idiot.
atberry is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #85
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I remember when Collins was a pundit for SKY for the Jones-Toney fight, and pointed out that Toney coming into the ring at 186 was unprofessional and also said something about how a true fighter would try to knock out his opponent (that Jones settled for points). Eubank then came on the phone and put Collins in his place!

'Let me just say ... Let me just say ... Steve Collins?'
'Yeh?'
'Em ... you just keep on doing what you do best in criticising. Sitting there in that seat there, commentating on these fights. But to be a commentator, you must become ... you must be a critic. Em, this is not a good thing. Maybe you should have a good think about what you are doing, sitting there ...'
atberry is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #86
Whiskers
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Fair to say that Roy Jones would have beaten any of those supposed duck guys anyway. But nonetheless it was a shame they were never made. Roy's legacy would have been enhance.d
Whiskers is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #87
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatTheMan View Post
Jones was never undisputed LHW champ.

Check your facts he was undisputed twice !

First when he beat Rgeeie Johnson and the 2d time after he beat Tarver in their first fight !
Imperial1 is online now  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #88
Scar
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroBot View Post
Steven Collins on ATG Radio is saying how Jones Jr. ducked him when they were both the best SMWs in the world and he always knew Jones Jr. had a glass jaw.
There's a reason Collins, Eubank and Benn stayed in England. All these guys were offered career high pay-days and turned it down when it mattered. Get the Jones Jr. vs Brannon pre-fight in-ring interview. Can't believe that so many retards still believe prime Jones Jr. would duck the likes of Collins, Eubank and Benn who were all mediocre compared to him. Of course only people from England seem to think Jones Jr. would duck those guys.
Scar is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #89
Scar
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1 View Post

Check your facts he was undisputed twice !

First when he beat Rgeeie Johnson and the 2d time after he beat Tarver in their first fight !
Check the retard's location. We have 2 Danish Kessler fans on this site who also happen to be Calzaghe admirers, that's all you need to know.
Scar is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #90
BatTheMan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Reader View Post
He certainly was.

At the very least you have to admit that he was undisputed after he beat Tarver.. Or do you consider Gonzalez the champ?
Gonzalez was linear champ and that is a fact.
BatTheMan is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum