Old 12-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #31
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

vCash: 500
Default Re: ESB Discussion: Pivotal Moments That Changed Careers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C84 View Post
Its sad really, you do get the sense that if Cus stayed alive for even 5 more years say, how different would Tyson's career be? It makes you wonder.
Yeah it may of helped him to stay out of trouble a little longer but i think likes of Teddy Atlas would say he was always going down that route just snowballed when Cus died.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #32
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
Yeah it may of helped him to stay out of trouble a little longer but i think likes of Teddy Atlas would say he was always going down that route just snowballed when Cus died.
Yeah I don't doubt that either, who knows, its one of boxing's many ''what if?' stories.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #33
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C84 View Post
Yeah I don't doubt that either, who knows, its one of boxing's many ''what if?' stories.
Defo .
Old 12-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #34
JonnyBGoode
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Benn getting KO'd from a jab when he fought Watson totally changed him. He went to the states and boxed a bit more relaxed and sensibly after punching himself out that night trying to take Watson's head off with every punch.

When Eubank landed the upper cut on Watson, that was a pivotal moment in his career too. He was never quite the same after that, understandably he was wary of his power and it's a shame as he let Thompson and Collins off the hook a little bit when he landed good shots in his fights with them. It seemed like he held back after the tragic Watson fight.
JonnyBGoode is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #35
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApatheticLeader View Post
Camacho/Rosario. 5th round.

Camacho gets hit with a monster left hook. His legs buckle and he's shaken from head to toe. He uses evasive skills in the rest of the round and manfully gets through the rest of the fight. But that punch crushed him mentally. Changed his psyche forever. He feared getting hit like that again. And when you fear getting hurt, you're not the fighter you should be.

That was the end of Camacho as one of the best fighters in the sport.
That fight changed Camachos outlook towards fighting for years, as you say, like he was scared of getting hit but then really showed his grit towards the end of his top flight career by not quitting despite taking heavy beatings off Chavez, Trinidad and Oscar.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #36
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGoode View Post
Benn getting KO'd from a jab when he fought Watson totally changed him. He went to the states and boxed a bit more relaxed and sensibly after punching himself out that night trying to take Watson's head off with every punch.
Except the Barkley fight, eh?
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #37
JonnyBGoode
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Well Benn was always a bit of a nutter when the bell rang but he definitely learnt he wasn't superman after the Watson fight and he probably wouldn't have gone to America and had those fights if it hadn't happened so definitely a pivotal moment!
Old 12-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #38
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Def. not gone. He had a "good thing" going on in the UK, if he'd have beaten Watson he'd have kept fighting over here I'd imagine.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #39
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGoode View Post

When Eubank landed the upper cut on Watson, that was a pivotal moment in his career too. He was never quite the same after that, understandably he was wary of his power and it's a shame as he let Thompson and Collins off the hook a little bit when he landed good shots in his fights with them. It seemed like he held back after the tragic Watson fight.
I was waiting for these fighters and fights to be brought up.

Benn I agree, he went out to the states, moved up a weight and controlled his aggression of sorts.

Watson/Eubank well we all know the Watson story and the big ''what if'' he was the best of the bunch imo, and would have went on to have the best career?

I think that fight was also a pivotal moment in Eubanks career, he was never quite the same, Im not sure it was just because of what happened to Watson, I think being outboxed like he was in both fights played its part too but to a lesser extent.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #40
JonnyBGoode
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Haye getting stopped against Thompson is another good one. Totally sorted him out and he stopped trying to just blast everyone out, although he took that a little bit too far against Wlad obviously!

Audleys 12th round KO of Sprott got him a world title shot too so it changed his career that was pretty pivotal for him!
Old 12-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #41
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Supposedly the story was that Benn was to box Barkley but Vic Andretti said to him as he waited in corner for round 1 (tv problems meant delaying start of fight) ''go and knock him out''. Nigel told him shut up and Vic said it again and rest was history.

Here's the exact quote: ''Nige....Nigel!!! You know everything i said...well forget that and just go knock the cunt out''
Old 12-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #42
JIM KELLY
Bullshyt Mr Han Man!
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
Strange you say that, Today Mike posted a status on the facebook page saying ''Cus would of been proud of me''. I think it played a massive part in his decline he lost his way. Rooney was good for him in a boxing sense he had him working the way Cus wanted.
true plus that statement speaks for him picking himself up and gaining happiness and peace at this stage of his life...
the period of his rehabilitation followed by the loss of his daughter resulted in his greatest turn/path of the man's life..

Im sure Cus would be very proud of him..
JIM KELLY is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #43
LHL
Captain Freedom
East Side VIP

vCash: 2835

Mosley's last round stoppage of Mayorga. Shane looked terrible that night and looked on his way to a defeat by me anyway pretty sure one judge had shane well a head.

Shane gets the KO and goes on to beat the big man of the division who no one gives him a hope against. Giving Mosley his last career defining win. Lots of controversy around the fight but still a great performance.
LHL is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #44
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Dennis Andries: Gets brutalized by Hearns over 10 painfully one sided rounds and, instead of heading back home to lick his wounds, asks Hearns trainer to take him on and end up winning back the WBC light heavyweight title another 2 times.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #45
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
Dennis Andries: Gets brutalized by Hearns over 10 painfully one sided rounds and, instead of heading back home to lick his wounds, asks Hearns trainer to take him on and end up winning back the WBC light heavyweight title another 2 times.
That's a good one, I suppose you can say with a lot of fighters that a pivotal moment is when they met Emanuel Steward?
Bill C84 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum