Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
Joe.Boxer
Chinchecker
ESB Addict

vCash: 240
Default Golota's quit job vs Tyson

At 20:00 into the vid, it shows the extraordinary scenes in Golota's corner after rd 1, then rd 2. Rarely do you hear a fighter openly arguing with his trainers about wanting to quit .

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQHsh1AgTfc[/ame]
Joe.Boxer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
The Spider

vCash:
Default Re: Golota's quit job vs Tyson

Was really weird shit. That's for sure.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
miniq
神風
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Lol what a disgrace.... why did he become a boxer?
miniq is online now  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
jeffjoiner
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5174

Golata was diagnosed with some pretty severe injuries after this fight.

It's a lot easier to judge when you aren't the one taking shots.
jeffjoiner is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
Scar
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjoiner View Post
Golata was diagnosed with some pretty severe injuries after this fight.

It's a lot easier to judge when you aren't the one taking shots.
I'm always against misjudging professional boxers because all of them, in my opinion, even the ones I dislike are all warriors and gladiators. However, in this case it was very easy to misjudge Golota because this wasn't anything new from him.
Scar is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
D_Andrade
Contender
ESB Senior Member

What a ***** not wanting to fight a prime Mike Tyson!
D_Andrade is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #7
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

He should have done his vampire bite on Tyson.
dyna is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
damian38
El Chicano- #1 GGG fan
East Side Guru

really shame he didn't have the warrior mentality of Adamek, he'd be right behind the K bros in terms of ATG Eastern European HW's if he did
damian38 is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #9
jeffjoiner
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar View Post
I'm always against misjudging professional boxers because all of them, in my opinion, even the ones I dislike are all warriors and gladiators. However, in this case it was very easy to misjudge Golota because this wasn't anything new from him.
Sadly, he did it enough when he wasn't actually hurt that it undermines the one time he was actually really hurt.

I get what you are saying.
jeffjoiner is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
turbina
Polska Siła
ESB Addict

vCash: 465

You dumb ****s laugh but it is not you in the ring, taking flush shots from one of boxings hardest hitters ever. It is not your health and head on the line. It was later said that if Golota absorbed a few more of Tysons punches it could have ended much worse then it did.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Doctor says Golota suffered concussion, broken bones

Posted: Sunday October 22, 2000 3:04 PM
Updated: Monday October 23, 2000 10:34 AM

NEW YORK (AP) -- Andrew Golota remained hospitalized Sunday after suffering a concussion and a neck injury in his fight against Mike Tyson, which he refused to continue after the second round.

"He got hurt, he got injured and it's probably the smartest thing he did," Mariola Golota said Sunday of her husband's refusal to go out for the third round Friday night at the Palace of Auburn Hills in Michigan.

Golota was taken by his wife to Resurrection Medical Center on Chicago's Northwest side after they returned home Saturday morning.

Dr. Wesley Yapor, a neurosurgeon treating Golota, said the fighter sustained a concussion, a fractured left cheekbone and a herniated disc between the fourth and fifth cervical vertebrae.

Yapor, who shared a conference call Sunday with Mariola Golota, said the 32-year-old fighter was fitted with a cervical collar and will need therapy.

"If the symptoms persist, he might need surgery," said Yapor, who indicated Golota could be released early in the week.

After an MRI, it was thought there was a little bleeding in the brain, but that does appear to be the case, Yapor said.

"It's not uncommon for people who sustain serious head injuries to have a cervical injury," said Yapor, explaining that all head injuries are considered serious.

Numbness in Golota's left arm led to an MRI that disclosed the herniated disc. An EEG was normal.

Asked if Golota could fight again, Yapor said, "That's a difficult question to answer. My goal is to get him to where he would have no restrictions."

"Everybody just assumed, well here you have a winner and a quitter," Mariola Golota said. "There was more involved."

"There's no question he sustained a concussion from head blows," Yapor said.

Golota was knocked down by a right to the head late in the first round. He also complained of several head butts by Tyson, one of which apparently opened a cut over his left eye.

"If he had sustained another serious blow to the head, he could have become paralyzed," Yapor said. "There's no way I would have allowed him to enter the ring for the second round."

Golota, however, did not complain to a ringside physician about being in distress.

"There's no way I'm blaming the physician who was there," Yapor said.

Golota told trainer Al Certo after the first round he wanted to quit, but Certo told him he could win the fight. After the second round, Mariola Golota said, "He was talking to him [Certo] in Polish."

But Golota told referee Frank Garza more than once in English, "I quit."

After the fight, Golota, who had a seizure and was hospitalized after being knocked out in one round by heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis on Oct. 4, 1997, became disoriented and nauseous.

Golota, however, held his own with Tyson in the second round. Yapor said effects of a concussion are not always immediately apparent.

"There's no doubt the first episode of vomiting would have occurred in the ring," Yapor said.

Golota appeared coherent in a couple of brief television interviews immediately after the fight, but his wife said when she got to the dressing room, "He was pretty incoherent. He was stuttering. Then after about 15 minutes Showtime came in and got a few sentences out of him."

Golota was taken to a hospital near the arena to have the cut stitched. Yapor said he refused to be admitted there, and he and his wife returned to Chicago.

"A friend drove us," she said. "We still have friends."

She said eggs were thrown at her law office in a Polish section of Northwest Chicago and that garbage was dumped in front of it, but that it was cleaned up before she saw it. Her husband was peppered with popcorn and showered with beer and soda when he left the ring.

"He does not wish to talk too much about what has happened," she said.

Golota had headaches and was nauseous and "He was very lethargic. I tried to keep him awake," she said.

When she told him he needed "to go to the hospital, he replied 'No, No, I'm all right.'" She finally got him to the Resurrection emergency room about 3 p.m. CDT Saturday, and he was then admitted.

"Andrew wanted to win the fight," she added. "He wanted to show everybody he could fight clean and he could win."
turbina is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #11
Slothrop
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1195

I don't recall the Foul Pole ever being accused of being a warrior, but Tyson actually ****ed him up pretty badly. There were some surprisingly severe injuries.
Slothrop is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #12
KidDynamite
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Tyson was stoned that fight and just as crazy as Golota

He did some serious damage to the man ... he would've killed Wlad if he was there instead of Golota and would have to go back to jail again ...
KidDynamite is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #13
Slothrop
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1195

Also, anyone notice how much ****ing bacne Golota had? Dude had to be 'roiding.
Slothrop is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #14
Scar
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjoiner View Post
Sadly, he did it enough when he wasn't actually hurt that it undermines the one time he was actually really hurt.
Exactly. Sad, but it's how the general perceive things.
Scar is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #15
miniq
神風
East Side Guru

All Doctors cry watching boxing...

Why didn't he say something was wrong or not right?

Not wanting to sound like a complainer to the audience sure... but to his corner? atleast give them a reason...

Messed his neck up... fair enough

Last edited by miniq; 12-06-2012 at 06:32 PM.
miniq is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum