Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
shommel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default parrert vs griffith death match

jeasus i watched thta two times last night tough tough fight both going back and forth then when emile got the kid in trouble i believe he swallowed 17 punches as he slumped into his corner. horrible horrible why wouldnt the ref step in sooner?
shommel is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: parrert vs griffith death match

Because Ruby Goldstein was Ernesto Magana before his time. He was a simply awful referee.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
JWSoats
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Ruby Goldstein spoke of the tragedy in a later interview - believe it was in Ring Magazine. While he was clearly upset over what happened, he said that Paret was known to absorb terrible beatings and then come roaring back. He felt that he acted appropriately and that if he had it to do over, he wouldn't have done anything different. Ruby Goldstein always seemed like a genuine, caring person and this must have weighed heavily on him, whether his action was correct or not. I don't believe he did much refereeing afterwards.
JWSoats is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
JWSoats
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I watched that fight live on TV, and they replayed that fatal round several times. It was one of the first times video replays were used. As I recall, Griffith had Paret trapped in the corner in such a way that he could not have fallen to the canvas. He was a sitting duck for Griffith's attack.
JWSoats is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 12:57 AM   #5
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSoats View Post
I watched that fight live on TV, and they replayed that fatal round several times. It was one of the first times video replays were used. As I recall, Griffith had Paret trapped in the corner in such a way that he could not have fallen to the canvas. He was a sitting duck for Griffith's attack.
Paret took a beating a short while before the Griffith fight being battered by the stronger Gene Fullmer...He was probably having head problems before the fight...And yes Ruby Goldstein should have stopped the fight much sooner...A couple years after this tragedy,I spoke to Ruby Goldstein
after he gave a boxing seminar in New England...I asked him many questions about Benny Leonard, Harry Greb /Ray Robinson etc, but I wisely refrained questioning him of that fatal fight he refereed...
P.S. In 1948 I traveled to Philly to see Ike Williams almost kill Beau Jack
in similar circumstances as in the 6th round the murderous hitting Williams had Beau Jack out on his feet trapped against the ropes with poor Beau Jack's arms entangled in the ropes and Beau was UNABLE to fall. Ike begged the referee to stop the slaughter but the ref told williams to continue..We in the audience was sreaming for the ref to stop it,and he finally did, saving the brave Beau Jack a stay in the hospital or in the morgue...Paret was not that lucky...
P.P.S. You can see this bout on youtube...What a night it was and in a couple of hours later my buddy and I were arrested in Atlantic City...
Ah youth....
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 01:49 AM   #6
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I've heard that Goldstein was considered to be a very good ref. I suppose even very good refs can have a very bad night. And this was a horrid night for Goldstein. He was way too slow to step in and stop that fight. It was pretty darn bad. Maybe he had just gotten too old and his reflexes weren't what they once were. But to allow the guy to just lay there in the corner and along the ropes in a semi-conscious state not defending himself at all, and just take clean blow after clean blow in nonstop fashion, well that is inexcusable and unjustifiable.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollack View Post
I've heard that Goldstein was considered to be a very good ref. I suppose even very good refs can have a very bad night. And this was a horrid night for Goldstein. He was way too slow to step in and stop that fight. It was pretty darn bad. Maybe he had just gotten too old and his reflexes weren't what they once were. But to allow the guy to just lay there in the corner and along the ropes in a semi-conscious state not defending himself at all, and just take clean blow after clean blow in nonstop fashion, well that is inexcusable and unjustifiable.
As Burt has mentioned Paret had taken a bad beating from Gene Fullmer in his previous fight , being floored 3 times in the 10th before being stopped.
Fullmer himself in Heller's," In This Corner," believed he was responsible for the tragedy.

Ironically Goldstein was criticized for what was seen as a premature stoppage in the Robinson Turpin return fight, he was considered to have panicked because of a recent ring tragedy involving Georgie Flores. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Last edited by mcvey; 12-10-2012 at 01:35 PM.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan View Post
Because Ruby Goldstein was Ernesto Magana before his time. He was a simply awful referee.
Goldstein was a fine referee who had a tragically bad night, tragic for Paret. The damage was almost certainly already done before Paret stepped into the ring that night , he had absorbed a very bad beating from Gene Fullmer just 3 months earlier being floored 3 times in the 10th and final rd .
Fullmer himself felt he was responsible for his death.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #9
Woller
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

It was not easy to be Rudby Goldstein. The Turpin-Robinson was stopped too soon and the Griffith-Paret too late. I can however see a difference. Turpin was hurt but trying to sway away from punches with his back to the ropes. He was not firing back, so by todays standards the stoppage was not a second too soon. In the case of Paret, he did not try to get out of the way of punches and was just a standing target that could not defend itself, and did not even have the chance to go down. If the referee failed to do his job, the corner should have been on the ring apron with the towell or should even have entered the ring to save their fighter.
"The win has a lot of parents" - "The loss is a lonely child"
Hopeles translation,but I hope you get the meaning.
Woller
Woller is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #10
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woller View Post
It was not easy to be Rudby Goldstein. The Turpin-Robinson was stopped too soon and the Griffith-Paret too late. I can however see a difference. Turpin was hurt but trying to sway away from punches with his back to the ropes. He was not firing back, so by todays standards the stoppage was not a second too soon. In the case of Paret, he did not try to get out of the way of punches and was just a standing target that could not defend itself, and did not even have the chance to go down. If the referee failed to do his job, the corner should have been on the ring apron with the towell or should even have entered the ring to save their fighter.
"The win has a lot of parents" - "The loss is a lonely child"
Hopeles translation,but I hope you get the meaning.
Woller
Robinson was actually missing with most of those shots ,as Turpin swayed and moved his head.

It's possible that Goldstein was, as he said ,mindful that Paret was known to come back and win fights after being under heavy fire . If this was so it is a dubious mindset for a referee to adopt because he should in theory just see two pairs of shorts in the ring ,and not let personalities into his judgement , easier said than done.
mcvey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum