Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #31
kirk
C1
East Side VIP

vCash: 1001
Default Re: Your opinion about Pac/JMM 4

I think Marquez vs Pac 4 proves what I thought before the fight, and why I picked Marquez to win.

When two fighters decline, the edge will begin to go to the one who is the better ring general.

Pac was great because the crazy shit he does in the ring, he could get away with because of his physical ability, chin, speed and power. He was an athletic fighting freak

He is declining, and while Marquez has been too (obviously, the dude is basically 40), when this happens.... the two guys who were fairly even before (the distance JMM would put between them in skill, Pac would close with his ability to hurt/drop jmm (this was due to his crazy ability), but as they decline, the one who is a true boxing master like Marquez, will start to overtake the athletic freak.

The more they keep fighting, the wider I expect this gap between them to grow.

Think of it like a less extreme Hopkins vs Roy Jones. Roy could beat Hopkins when they were young because he was an athletic phenom. As they both physically declined, Hopkins overtook him because he is a true master at the art of boxing, while Roy required his athletic ability.

Anyways, its just imo.

This fight didnt prove a blanket statement like MARQUEZ IS BETTER THEN PAC.

But it does prove, that Marquez is better then Pac now that they are both not in their primes anymore. At least on a H2H basis. There are still guys that I think Pac have beaten, that I dont think JMM could. And that matters when discussing such things.

But since they are no longer in their primes? Marquez is indeed better H2H with Pac, and that does count for a lot in my book.

Anyways, just all imo.

Last edited by kirk; 12-13-2012 at 04:50 PM.
kirk is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #32
ryan_c
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

It's a lucky win in a sense that Pac got too excited in the last seconds, and let his guard down. Even JMM's corner is already thinking of giving up the fight. It means they think JMM will suffer more punishment.
ryan_c is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #33
Jorrvaskr
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

It wasn't a lucky punch, Marquez has been landing that punch since 2004. Manny hasn't learned a thing, he keeps walking into it. The difference in this fight is that Marquez was roided out of his mind. He could knock out Chavez Jr with how much HGH he had injected into his arms.

Manny needs to make some drastic changes in his preparation if they're going to have a 5th bout. Otherwise just paste Rios for a highlight reel KO and retire.
Jorrvaskr is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #34
Dementia Pugulistica
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 441

First off, congrats to JMM for doing what he said he was going to. More often than not rematches end up being very technical affairs or more of the same old. That was not the case this time thankfully. I admire both fighters, but I have seen many more Pacquaio fights than JMM's. I buy ppv fights often, and I also boycott many. A quick glance at some statistics from the first three fights to me paint a picture of JMM ad******g to Manny over the 3 fights, getting better as time went on. This fight was on my boycott list cuz I thought Manny had nothing to gain with another bout against a very dangerous man. But come fight night I relented (somewhat) from my boycott and went out, bought some Glenlivet 12yr old and went to a friends house who is married to a Fillipina and is a big Pacquaio fan. ( I actually introduced him to boxing) Here's my recollection of the fight watched with a nice dose of scotch amid many avid Pacman fans.

Early rounds were close, could have gone either way, I wasn't scoring the fight. Then came the first knockdown. That was a solid shot and very similar to the one that ko'd him. Manny came back pretty well the next round and then Marquez got knocked down, but it was more of a flash knockdown while previously Manny got FLOORED! (some will disagree... see other thread ) Skip to rd 5 and Manny SEEMS to be doing well, flurrying etc, but he kinda looks panicky to me, just throwing shit, not really trying to set JMM up for something. I said to myself. Manny's in trouble here. Then came round 6 and Manny is beginning to distance himself from JMM and I forgot all about the nervous flurries.. Really touching him up and causing some damage. I honestly thought that in 2 or 3 rounds that Marquez would be finished. And then the final KO shot came. I knew immediately that it was over. What a fight!! I think the historical signifigance of this fight is being overlooked by many right now. For me this is a Leonard / Duran type of event. Lets savor this great time in boxing. On a side note, I've heard references to JMM using peds. I don't believe it. I think it may be possible that JMM roided up during training, but is that against the rules? I don't think so. as long as you test clean. I would love to see a 5th fight (can't believe I'm saying that ) but its true.

Last edited by Dementia Pugulistica; 12-13-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Dementia Pugulistica is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum