Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 887
Default I have a question about fighting someone with a reverse stance.

I don't box myself so this question is hypothetical I guess.
I understand that your soposed to move away from your oppoent's power. Typicaly boxers have their weeker hand in the front and their stronger hand in the back. Like you would if you were throwing a ball, swinging a bat or golf club. It makes sense to circle away from the back hand.
Some boxers lead with their strong hand. Making their jab and hook their best punch as oppoesed to their straight.
There are advantages to always moving away from the lead hand. It's hard for your foe to land his straight and his hook.
This raises the question. Is the power always in the strongest hand? For example I'm right handed. If I were to fight southpaw would my best punches really be my jab and hook, or would my straight because it has longer to travel and has the leverage of comming off a job or a hook still be my power shot?
Another thing I noticed when trying to figure out things for this question. Is that it's more natural to move away from an othrodox stznce as someone who would fight out of an orthdox stance than it is to circle away from a southpaw one. Dose this make any diffrance? In other words if I'm in the ring with a natural southpaw with a left hand lead. Do I still want to circle away from his left. This would put me withing rang of his left his power hand, but if I can stay to the outside. All he should have is a jab and posibily uppercuts. It is also a more natural movement for me. On the other hand should I circle to the outside of his right hand. It's a less natural movement. It can take the left hand out of play, but I may in theory be walking into his power.
What if he's a natural righty fighting southpaw. Going a way from the right jab seems a I shadow box to try to figure things out seems like a less natural movement than away from the straight left.

I would like some expert opinion. As I shadowbox to try to figure this out. I kind of fell that your best off moving around the ring in a manner that is most natural to you. Also practice moving in your unnatural driction. Try to estlablish poistion to your advantage rather than worying about what stance your oppoent is in, and rather it's his natural stance or not.

Thoughts, commits, opinions?
ripcity is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2012, 06:30 AM   #2
captain hook
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1794
Default Re: I have a question about fighting someone with a reverse stance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcity View Post
This raises the question. Is the power always in the strongest hand? For example I'm right handed. If I were to fight southpaw would my best punches really be my jab and hook, or would my straight because it has longer to travel and has the leverage of comming off a job or a hook still be my power shot?
longer to travel, harder punch because of acceleration (F=m*a). But my thought is that you can hit with every hand with same power with right technique.

When you are hitting with right hand (orthodox), in beginning of a punch, your left shoulder is infront of your right shoulder, so there you will have the highest momentum (foot,hip,shoulders).

At the end of the punch your right shoulder is infront of your left shoulder, so then your left hook will be your power shot because from that position you will have the highest momentum. So, its all about position..

Quote:
In other words if I'm in the ring with a natural southpaw with a left hand lead. Do I still want to circle away from his left. This would put me withing rang of his left his power hand, but if I can stay to the outside. All he should have is a jab and posibily uppercuts. It is also a more natural movement for me. On the other hand should I circle to the outside of his right hand. It's a less natural movement. It can take the left hand out of play, but I may in theory be walking into his power.
What if he's a natural righty fighting southpaw. Going a way from the right jab seems a I shadow box to try to figure things out seems like a less natural movement than away from the straight left.
If he is southpaw fighting in a orthodox stance, his left hand isnt his power hand anymore, because of position, thats why people rarely change their stances..

Quote:
I would like some expert opinion. As I shadowbox to try to figure this out. I kind of fell that your best off moving around the ring in a manner that is most natural to you. Also practice moving in your unnatural driction. Try to estlablish poistion to your advantage rather than worying about what stance your oppoent is in, and rather it's his natural stance or not.
i am not a expert but this are my opinions.. you need to learn to move in all directions, sometimes is good to move on his power hand and counter it.. it all depends on fighter you are fighting against, so there is no unnatural direction, they all must be natural
captain hook is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
boxbible
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: I have a question about fighting someone with a reverse stance.

If ur left handed, you'll normally hv more power in the left hand whether u fight southpaw or orthodox, because you hv better coordination and muscle control in that hand.

Regarding movement. You move in the direction that most easily keeps you out of your opponent's punching zone, that is, a range in front of him in between his two feet.

You normally move to your left against a southpaw because it easily keeps you to the side of his power punching range. For him to target you, he will have to step to your left and get you lined up between his two feet so he can throw with power. If he's really good at cutting you off like this, you might consider moving the other way.

Which hand he holds the power in certainly influences which way you want to move, but his footwork would be the over riding factor.
boxbible is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing