Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-08-2012, 04:36 AM   #1
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121
Default I think Manny is going to try and stay in the pocket to land

After watching 24/7 tonight, I think Manny is going to try and stay close to JMM without taking any steps backwards and ducking low to land overhand shots and punch with Marquez consistently. Roach specifically said "don't look for angles" when they were doing their mittwork. I'm not sure how well that will work, since the left hand will be rendered useless by the right maneuvers JMM has always employed, but I'm confident Pac is going to keep his guard up and fight more flat footed going forward. He was quoted as saying "he knows my style, in and out, in and out, but he's going to be surprised how I changed my style", and I now think he was referring to staying consistently on the offensive and setting up opportunities on the inside instead of trying to feint and catch him by surprise with explosive footwork.

Given Manny's less-than-ideal offensive movement as of late, I think this is a solid strategy. But at the end of the day, I think Marquez is capable of landing the better-timed leads, from the favorable position of establishing his lead foot on the outside, and landing hard ass combinations in between Pac's own shots. He can get caught if he's too aggressive, but I think if he stays cool, he'll land some real thunder on Manny like never before, instead of compete for angles laterally or at mid/long-range.

I think that both fighters, as older, heavier men, are going to fight slightly more flat-footed, and while footwork will be key, they're usually always just a foot away from each other, and I think they'll be looking to stand their ground a lot more.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2012, 04:50 AM   #2
o_money
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: I think Manny is going to try and stay in the pocket to land

This may be true but you are who you are player. Manny can't change his spots too much at this point in time. He could try to stay in the pocket but thats really never worked for him before. So I can't see that working now.
o_money is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 04:52 AM   #3
uraharakisuke
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
After watching 24/7 tonight, I think Manny is going to try and stay close to JMM without taking any steps backwards and ducking low to land overhand shots and punch with Marquez consistently. Roach specifically said "don't look for angles" when they were doing their mittwork. I'm not sure how well that will work, since the left hand will be rendered useless by the right maneuvers JMM has always employed, but I'm confident Pac is going to keep his guard up and fight more flat footed going forward. He was quoted as saying "he knows my style, in and out, in and out, but he's going to be surprised how I changed my style", and I now think he was referring to staying consistently on the offensive and setting up opportunities on the inside instead of trying to feint and catch him by surprise with explosive footwork.

Given Manny's less-than-ideal offensive movement as of late, I think this is a solid strategy. But at the end of the day, I think Marquez is capable of landing the better-timed leads, from the favorable position of establishing his lead foot on the outside, and landing hard ass combinations in between Pac's own shots. He can get caught if he's too aggressive, but I think if he stays cool, he'll land some real thunder on Manny like never before, instead of compete for angles laterally or at mid/long-range.

I think that both fighters, as older, heavier men, are going to fight slightly more flat-footed, and while footwork will be key, they're usually always just a foot away from each other, and I think they'll be looking to stand their ground a lot more.
I would love to see Manny try this, be interesting so say the least.
uraharakisuke is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 04:54 AM   #4
SweetScience
Accuracy is the key!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

LOL, Pac has no inside game whatsoever. If he tries to do this, Marquez would have a field day with his combinations
SweetScience is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 04:56 AM   #5
canucks9314
Iron Chinned ATG Warrior
East Side Guru

vCash: 2146

i think thAt would be a bAd strategy. it would nulify his speed advantAge and he isn't known as an inside fighter.
canucks9314 is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 05:24 AM   #6
mrjotatp4p
THE ONE
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

If he does he is getting ****ed up. Marquez has better inside game and Marquez already promised to go to the body on Manny. Ring IQ is going to really set these guys apart in this fight Bogo and we both know who has the edge in that. Manny is going to try and be aggressive but to me Marquez's timing looks damn good going into this fight and he seems to be sitting down on them punches.
mrjotatp4p is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 05:45 AM   #7
Jak Boxer
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

That's really the best strategy. He can use foot work/ angles but he needs to let his hands go and not worry so much about boxing.

Pac being aggressive doesnt mean he needs to be in the pocket - he just needs to attack, consistently - and not worry so much about the return shots and so forth. Basically he needs to go back to the aggression he had in the first fight, but obviously now with a two-fisted attack.
Jak Boxer is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 05:56 AM   #8
MannySteward
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 806

Manny can't fight on the inside
MannySteward is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 06:47 AM   #9
PaoloMirani
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Pacquiao can fight Jmm in different ways. He is the boxer-puncher in this scenario. JMM on the other hand is more limited....and I disagree with your assertion that Marquez would have any sustained success leading. JMM will fight the way he always has and that is to counter "action" whatever it is Pac decides to do. Whether that's to maintain distance or to punch back it still hinges on what Pac does. Pacquiao knows this and to fight one way and be predictable is a way of handicapping himself. Him staying in the pocket is him being predictable and its also him feeding Jmm on essentially the only effective ways he can win. Not saying that Pac shouldn't press...but he's gonna be selective with it. Just by lowering his output he lowers Jmms tremendously. Pac had the right gameplan last time out...he just needs to fine tune it. Pick the spots to fight, and pick the spots to box. What Pac needs to change really is more mental, than tactical....don't be afraid to make it boring, be more patient and be more methodical. 36.rounds with Marquez, 12 with timmeh, 12 with "I luv a good s****" Mosley.....Pacquiao knows how everyone is trying to fight him. It's not a secret....the idea is to time pacquiao coming in. He knows this....and in a ways he has adapted his style. Expect the same gameplan as the last time. Whether he will improve on it. will be answered tomorrow.
PaoloMirani is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 08:29 AM   #10
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:

I agree with the assessment that Pacquiao will attempt to stand in more and get his shots off without backing away and in/out. While that might work initially, I feel the more chances you give to a brilliant counter puncher like Marquez, the more you will get hit...especially if you are somewhat squared up and attempting to unload on a target that is able to position himself just outside a linear attack...it will be close again...and both could win...just feel Marquez is very well prepared for anything Pac offers...Good stuff man.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #11
floyd_g.o.a.t
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:

Good post man.

I feel you are right mainly because over the 12 rounds Pacquiao HAS to fight this way. After seeing the Bradley fight (which a lot of people are dismissing) I noticed that Pacquaio is not able to throw a high volume of punches for 3 minutes. If anything it will be worse for this fight.

So to conserve his energy, he will try and stay in the pocket and catch Marquez. However I believe this is a risky strategy because,

1) Manny wont be able to change his style drastically at this stage of his a career.

2) Marquez is way too smart and Nacho will have definitely prepared for this.

3) JMM will find a way to get Manny to come forward more and this will fall into his hands and confuse Manny.

4) Roach has no plan B, so if this does fail. Pacquaio will find it hard to adjust and will be losing more and more rounds.

I really really really do believe its Marquez' time. Arum knows this which is why the 4th fight was made. If Pacquaio wins, pretty pointless fight in my opinion, no?
floyd_g.o.a.t is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #12
el mosquito
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 112

Marquez struggled against this style with Juan Diaz and Katsidis. Pacquiao implementing this style will be bad news for marquez. This is a matter of who will last longer in a full blown slugfest
el mosquito is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #13
Manfred
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by el mosquito View Post
Marquez struggled against this style with Juan Diaz and Katsidis. Pacquiao implementing this style will be bad news for marquez. This is a matter of who will last longer in a full blown slugfest
I didn't see him struggling, I saw him ad******g and knocking both of them gentlemen out. just saying.
Manfred is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #14
thawk888
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by el mosquito View Post
Major difference, Katsidis, high-volume, pressure fighter that likes to fight shoulder to shoulder. Diaz, high-volume, pressure fighter that can fight shoulder to shoulder.

Pacquiao, high volume, mid/long-range fighter.

You just can't decide to change your style from the ground up and think it's going to work wonders. Especially not against an opponent who's proven that he knows how to deal with that pressure/inside fighter style, and in impressive fashion. (Katsidis: TKO, Diaz: TKO)
thawk888 is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #15
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553

Marquez will scramble his brains, and Pac will stumble back to his corner during break.
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum